After reading the bridge 2.1 documentation released/leaked on Monday I feel as if the wifi bridge feature is misleading to most people. I feel as if I and most of the crackberry fans have been lead to believe that we will have the option to use bridge over either wifi or bluetooth. From the documentation this is not the case on page 13 there is a description of how the wifi bridge process works. The basic premise is that you always need a bluetooth connection as this is how the bridge maintains a secure connection and when both the tablet and phone are connected to the same wifi network then they will use wifi to speed up bridge processes. This means that on the go there will be no wifi bridge as there is no network to connect (I doubt mobile hotspot would count) to and while connected on wifi you cannot disconnect the bluetooth as it will disconnect the wifi bridge. Hit up the comments for your complaints and interpretations from the documentation.
    jvittorelli likes this.
    09-26-12 10:42 PM
    That's pretty much exactly how I had expected it to work...
    BB_Bmore and Toodeurep like this.
    09-26-12 10:45 PM
    Sorry but... Whatever way Wifi bridge would work, like you said, you wouldn't have WiFi on the go, so most of your complaint is moot...

Also, it can't be misleading since nowhere before there were descriptions of how it was going to work. People assumed things. And you know what assuming does...

Just saying...

And welcome to the forums.
    09-26-12 10:50 PM
    I admit that I was one of those people to assume that about bridge over wifi, but it's no biggie really. I suppose our phones would take a hit on battery life, but as you said it would primarily be utilized while stationary, so you could keep your phone plugged in if needed.
    jvittorelli likes this.
    09-26-12 10:53 PM
    This is just an informative post as I have seen that a lot of people are expecting it to work all the time, no need to get defensive.
    09-26-12 10:55 PM
    The question is when is it being released?
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    09-27-12 12:21 AM
    From what I understood is, when bridged with your BB/PB and you are on the same wifi network, it will use the wifi and not go through your BB carrier. In other words, wifi will be the default.

Correct me if I'm wrong in this theory.
    Hgouck likes this.
    09-27-12 12:27 AM
    I wonder if open up video is gonna work now that the wifi connection can be shared. That would be great. I could fill up my phones 32g memory card with hd videos and save a ton of space on the PlayBook.
    09-27-12 01:00 AM
    forgive my ignorance, why would the wifi Bridge benefit anything if we are in an wifi-enabled enviroment ? Can we just use the wifi on PB itself ? Im curios
    09-27-12 01:23 AM
    The idea is to speed up device to device communication. Moving large files to and fro is painfully slow with bluetooth. All the functions of bridge should benefit.
    Hgouck and jafobabe like this.
    09-27-12 08:24 AM
    I'm hoping they will have bt 4 at least in the new devices. That will speed up bridge on its own.
    09-27-12 08:31 AM
    I'm hoping they will have bt 4 at least in the new devices. That will speed up bridge on its own.
    The new BB10 devices will have BT 4.0.
    jafobabe likes this.
    09-27-12 09:28 AM
    From what I read in the documentation, bluetooth is only used for the wifi pairing process to securely exchange keys and establish the secure wifi network.

I didn't see anything about the wifi bridge disappearing because the device were moved outside of bluetooth range from each other.

Also, while OS6 devices won't see the full benefits of wifi bridge, OS7 devices have the ability to act as mobile hotspots. There's no reason wifi bridge shouldn't work over this network in the same manner it would from a regular router.
    09-27-12 09:33 AM
    The idea is to speed up device to device communication. Moving large files to and fro is painfully slow with bluetooth. All the functions of bridge should benefit.
    +1

I believe this is the whole point of "Bridge over WiFi" technology. Can't wait to bridge my PB with a BB10 handset. Go RIM.
    09-27-12 09:40 AM
    To benefit from any communications speed increase arising from Bluetooth 4.0 requires that all devices must support Bluetooth 4.0. If your BlackBerry 10 Bold supports Bluetooth 4.0 and your BlackBerry PlayBook supports Bluetooth 3.0, the devices with auto-negotiate to communicate at Bluetooth 3.0 speed.
    09-27-12 10:23 AM
    From what I read in the documentation, bluetooth is only used for the wifi pairing process to securely exchange keys and establish the secure wifi network.

I didn't see anything about the wifi bridge disappearing because the device were moved outside of bluetooth range from each other.
    Here it what it says.
    If the bluetooth connection between tablet and smartphone closes, the Wi-Fi connection between tablet and smartphone also closes.
    09-27-12 10:24 AM
    To benefit from any communications speed increase arising from Bluetooth 4.0 requires that all devices must support Bluetooth 4.0. If your BlackBerry 10 Bold supports Bluetooth 4.0 and your BlackBerry PlayBook supports Bluetooth 3.0, the devices with auto-negotiate to communicate at Bluetooth 3.0 speed.
    Yep, I know. I think the 4G pb only has 3 which is still faster than 2.1.
    09-27-12 10:31 AM
    i wonder is it gonna be a stable wifi connection on PB or BB
    09-27-12 04:05 PM
    I too was originally under the impression that this would be like a bridge range extender of sorts when it was first announced. Ie. my entire office complex is on the same wifi network, but some area's would be out of Bluetooth range so the connection fails. Doesn't really bother me though, the only time it arises is when my 9900 is dying and I need to leave it in my office charging and take the Playbook upstairs..and even then the only thing I miss is BBM, everything else now comes through native, and sad but true the active sync on the playbooks brings down the messages faster then bis anyway.
    09-28-12 10:58 AM
    I believe BT3.0 and 4.0 have the same speeds. The advantage of 4.0 is low power consumption since BT has traditionally consumed a lot of power.
    09-28-12 11:45 AM
    After reading the bridge 2.1 documentation released/leaked on Monday I feel as if the wifi bridge feature is misleading to most people. I feel as if I and most of the crackberry fans have been lead to believe that we will have the option to use bridge over either wifi or bluetooth. From the documentation this is not the case on page 13 there is a description of how the wifi bridge process works. The basic premise is that you always need a bluetooth connection as this is how the bridge maintains a secure connection and when both the tablet and phone are connected to the same wifi network then they will use wifi to speed up bridge processes. This means that on the go there will be no wifi bridge as there is no network to connect (I doubt mobile hotspot would count) to and while connected on wifi you cannot disconnect the bluetooth as it will disconnect the wifi bridge. Hit up the comments for your complaints and interpretations from the documentation.
    My impression was that Wi-fi over Bridge would only work if you were in a wi-fi service area and connected via Bluetooth. For those that have wifi hotspot enabled on their BB handset, I'm not sure if it will work. Plus, wouldn't you just want to transfer files directly over wifi versus routing them through the Bridge?
    09-28-12 11:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD