True and perhaps I should have read it that way. I apologize if I inadvertently stepped on any toes.
    That's why (if you want to frequent forums) you need to own a virtual pair of steel-toed boots and a flame suit. Both come in very useful at times.
    TinRobot and cntrydncr223 like this.
    01-26-12 02:58 PM
    Well, I think that about wraps up this discussion and thread.
    01-26-12 03:34 PM
    The Beat Buy here in Casper, WY told me it was discontinued way back in July. Guess they were a bit off...
    Were they?
    01-26-12 03:49 PM
    hi all, i just left office depot here in central Florida and was chatting it up with the store manager...this is my second 64gb playbook purchased at $299.00...the manager said they are being discontinued, not sure if she is accurate or not??? take care, muddy211.
    Is this not the second post about Office Depot thinking the Playbook was being discontinued?
    01-26-12 03:50 PM
    I really like my Playbooks.
    Like everyone said... it's alive!
    01-26-12 04:28 PM
    I really like my Playbooks.
    Like everyone said... it's alive!
    I think you were purposely trying to quote Dr Frankenstein, weren't you?
    01-26-12 04:35 PM
    hi all, i just left office depot here in central Florida and was chatting it up with the store manager...this is my second 64gb playbook purchased at $299.00...the manager said they are being discontinued, not sure if she is accurate or not??? take care, muddy211.
    Maybe he was right in that the current part numbers will be discontinued as new numbers will be assigned for the new units with the faster processors and other new optional features.
    01-26-12 04:53 PM
    Maybe he was right in that the current part numbers will be discontinued as new numbers will be assigned for the new units with the faster processors and other new optional features.
    Doubt it, even if the 3G Playbooks came they would keep the Wi-Fi one's for the people who don't need 3G.
    01-26-12 04:59 PM
    I don't think they are going to discontinue the playbook simply because a newer model comes out. I think they will just price the new one higher or this one lower and have a different choice.

Reasoning is like with the torch. Torch 2 came out, but the 9800 is still available.
    01-26-12 05:42 PM
    F2 and Cntrydncr, are the first gen PB's still being manufactured? This is a real question, I love mine, so I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to stir up trouble, but is there a warehouse somewhere with a stockpile of unsold units? Maybe "Warehouse 13", lots of cool stuff there.

I'll be staying with my first gen, Bridge just plain works, and OS 2 will do nothing but advance it. NFC would be cool, but in my neck of the woods, it would be useless in a payment capacity for some time.
    01-26-12 06:15 PM
    SUPPOSEDLY, they stopped the manufacturing a while back but had lots of inventory.

And your question, kind of anticipated something I was wondering: Would it make economic sense to continue the original (current) model and have two assembly lines or maybe offer only the 3g/whatever model where people could choose not to use the 3g aspect. Would only having one model (2 or 3 memory versions) be cheaper on an assembly line? I don't know the answer to that one.

(I have not been to Wyoming since 1999!!! Yikes! And I've got to put on my thinking cap and try remembering when we pulled sleds in Yellowstone probably 10 years before that)
    AugustArborists likes this.
    01-26-12 06:33 PM
    Were they?
    SUPPOSEDLY, they stopped the manufacturing a while back but had lots of inventory.

And your question, kind of anticipated something I was wondering: Would it make economic sense to continue the original (current) model and have two assembly lines or maybe offer only the 3g/whatever model where people could choose not to use the 3g aspect. Would only having one model (2 or 3 memory versions) be cheaper on an assembly line? I don't know the answer to that one.

(I have not been to Wyoming since 1999!!! Yikes! And I've got to put on my thinking cap and try remembering when we pulled sleds in Yellowstone probably 10 years before that)
    That's what I was thinking, re-fitting the production line isn't cheap, and adding one would be cost prohibitive. And, where did they find some room for NFC and 3G+ innards. Wait, I get it, the "bulge" on the back is based on pre-production models! I wonder if it'll get hot in there, new processor and all.

C'mon back to Wyoming, we miss you! Just one thing, bring a suitcase full of cash, Jackson Hole is just a bit different than 20 years ago.
    01-26-12 08:03 PM
    F2 and Cntrydncr, are the first gen PB's still being manufactured? This is a real question, I love mine, so I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to stir up trouble, but is there a warehouse somewhere with a stockpile of unsold units? Maybe "Warehouse 13", lots of cool stuff there.
    I'm pretty sure I don't know the answer, since I don't work for the company.

Obviously with the price reduction, they are flying out the door in droves. I should know, I'm one who bought because of the price drop. I have no shame in admitting that (why should I? I saved 4 bones ). So, no, I don't think there's a "Warehouse 13" with stockpiles of inventory. If there is, someone's not doing their job right.

With all the talk of major brand stores not stocking them, and all the front page news of RIM's challenges, it might "appear" to those of us with no inside knowledge that they might be discontinued. I never said they wouldn't.

But I don't THINK they will discontinue. I have no way of knowing any more or less than anyone else. It's just my opinion.

It's not a contest and we can all speculate all we want. Time will tell how they choose to move forward from here. I still believe they will continue to make the first generation and price the second generation higher. My reason is the same. They still make older version phones, even after the newer versions come out. It's called variety.
    Last edited by cntrydncr223; 01-27-12 at 12:44 AM.
    01-27-12 12:40 AM
    That's what I was thinking, re-fitting the production line isn't cheap, and adding one would be cost prohibitive. And, where did they find some room for NFC and 3G+ innards. Wait, I get it, the "bulge" on the back is based on pre-production models! I wonder if it'll get hot in there, new processor and all.

C'mon back to Wyoming, we miss you! Just one thing, bring a suitcase full of cash, Jackson Hole is just a bit different than 20 years ago.
    The speculation published yesterday seemed to indicate smaller battery power which may mean smaller batteries freeing up space for other things.

Jackson Hole was not cheap when I was last there. But we stayed with someone we knew. I only had to purchase two new mt bike tires. The the ski-sled trip was downright cheap!
    01-27-12 08:37 AM
    Rule Number 1 of the Tech World:

Never EVER believe anything anyone in Best Buy, Office Depot, Staples, an AT&T store, or [insert brick and mortar store here] tells you, regardless of whether they are a salesperson or manager.

I suddenly feel insulted....... I think you need to tone that down a bit and Generalize it.

I work For Staples and i am pretty sure i can read the market and read what i find here.

Again doesn't go for ALL brick and mortar stores but some of us actually give useful and truthful information.

01-27-12 08:46 AM
    I suddenly feel insulted....... I think you need to tone that down a bit and Generalize it.

I work For Staples and i am pretty sure i can read the market and read what i find here.

Again doesn't go for ALL brick and mortar stores but some of us actually give useful and truthful information.

Unfortunately you are a very rare occurrence. Especially in North America.
    01-28-12 06:08 AM
    Rule Number 1 of the Tech World:

Never EVER believe anything anyone in Best Buy, Office Depot, Staples, an AT&T store, or [insert brick and mortar store here] tells you, regardless of whether they are a salesperson or manager.
    Too true. I was in the local Best Buy and asked the salesflack to tell me about the PB and the 7" Acer tablet. He said the PB came with all the blackberry functions such as BBM, that both tablets ran on the Android OS with access to all the Android apps, and that they were basically the same functionally. No point even trying to educate him.
    01-29-12 10:47 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD