hi all, i just left office depot here in central Florida and was chatting it up with the store manager...this is my second 64gb playbook purchased at $299.00...the manager said they are being discontinued, not sure if she is accurate or not??? take care, muddy211.
    Last edited by muddy211; 01-26-12 at 01:35 PM.
    01-26-12 01:18 PM
    That is simply incorrect.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-26-12 01:19 PM
    It is possible that a particular store may indeed discontinue carrying it, if it just took up space and did not sell. However, it is not completely discontinued at this point.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-26-12 01:20 PM
    NO NO NO

The PB is alive and well AND will long live!
    Just because A STORE is discontinuing the item does NOT mean that it is being removed from the market
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-26-12 01:24 PM
    It is possible that a particular store may indeed discontinue carrying it, if it just took up space and did not sell. However, it is not completely discontinued at this point.
    ...and it's not likely to be at this early stage.

It's more like the frenzy diminished and someone (whoever the buyer/decision maker/CFO is) decided it wasn't making enough profit at that local branch.
    01-26-12 01:24 PM
    Nope, not right.
    The new CEO just confirmed their commitment to moving forward with the playbook in his first public interview. search around, you will find it on Youtube.
    01-26-12 01:25 PM
    I believe what may be a more accurate assessment of where the PB stands is that we will be getting, as suggested by numerous blogs, a not new, but "newer" PlayBook, with upgraded hardware, OS 2.0 installed, and that 3G/4G/LTE capability as an option....everything else, physically and appearance wise will remain the same; price wise, that remains to be seen.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-26-12 01:27 PM
    NO NO NO

The PB is alive and well AND will long live!
    Just because A STORE is discontinuing the item does NOT mean that it is being removed from the market
    But, doesn't it make perfect sense? RIM spent all that time and effort developing OS 2.0, made a big show of presenting it at CES 2012, just to discontinue everything one week later.
    01-26-12 01:28 PM
    Rule Number 1 of the Tech World:

Never EVER believe anything anyone in Best Buy, Office Depot, Staples, an AT&T store, or [insert brick and mortar store here] tells you, regardless of whether they are a salesperson or manager.
    01-26-12 01:31 PM
    Nah, I wouldn't sweat it, muddy211.
    Probably just the wrong choice of words by the person you spoke with.
    Cheers!
    01-26-12 01:35 PM
    But, doesn't it make perfect sense? RIM spent all that time and effort developing OS 2.0, made a big show of presenting it at CES 2012, just to discontinue everything one week later.
    Rim was a little late announcing the decision
    it was meant for two days after CES
    lol
    01-26-12 01:37 PM
    hi
    "Playbook discontiued!!!! " according to my knowledge its incorrect. maybe "WI-FI Playbook discontiued!!!! " and BlackBerry PlayBook 3g+/LTE etc will be introduce. This is what TELCOMs want. and other players (google & apple) are offering to TELCOM.thats why they love them.
    01-26-12 01:42 PM
    seems weird.....
    01-26-12 01:42 PM
    01-26-12 01:43 PM
    I'm not saying it's the same case with the Playbook, as RIM needs it for BB10 development, but stranger things have happened...

- HP dropped the Touchpad only 49 days after release.
    - Nokia promoted the N9 even after declaring their move to Windows Phone 7.
    werebear3 likes this.
    01-26-12 01:44 PM
    Rule Number 1 of the Tech World:

Never EVER believe anything anyone in Best Buy, Office Depot, Staples, an AT&T store, or [insert brick and mortar store here] tells you, regardless of whether they are a salesperson or manager.
    Oh, yeah! I remember when I was anxiously awaiting the availability of my 9810, and I asked them at the AT&T store. They knew NOTHING. No, it was worse than nothing, they gave me serious misinformation. Only my friends at the CB boards had something akin to the straight dope.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    01-26-12 01:45 PM
    seems weird.....
    A mod changed the thread title, thankfully. It was highly misleading. (Plus you misspelled "discontinued.")
    01-26-12 01:45 PM
    nice to see that mods rewrite what i was just told an hour ago at the store? what a joke? changing what someone posts? so ridiculous...
    chealyjazz likes this.
    01-26-12 01:49 PM
    nice to see that mods rewrite what i was just told an hour ago at the store? what a joke? changing what someone posts? so ridiculous...
    I think it is appropriate to change it. The original title was misleading and close to flame bait. The PB is simply not being discontinued. Period.
    01-26-12 01:54 PM
    01-26-12 02:05 PM
    Has anybody looked at the front page?

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-pla...-specification
    I saw that and that is the path forward. It does not mean the Playbook is being discontinued if it has an upgrade path. To say that is the same as "being discontinued" in the same way that the rumor mill is using the term is misleading.
    01-26-12 02:30 PM
    If you want to sell something you don't lie about it and say it's discontinued. If you are willing to lie about a product, tell the consumer it's selling like hotcakes and they will want what they think everyone else wants.
    Note, this applies to the consumer who is unwilling to take the brief time to learn about a product before shopping. Most CrackBerrians would never be fooled either way.
    01-26-12 02:34 PM
    The Beat Buy here in Casper, WY told me it was discontinued way back in July. Guess they were a bit off...
    01-26-12 02:37 PM
    I saw that and that is the path forward. It does not mean the Playbook is being discontinued if it has an upgrade path. To say that is the same as "being discontinued" in the same way that the rumor mill is using the term is misleading.
    Very astute, except he never claimed that the 3G story meant the PlayBook was being discontinued. On the contrary, I think he meant that it's silly to think the product is being discontinued when there appears to be another on the way.
    01-26-12 02:40 PM
    Very astute, except he never claimed that the 3G story meant the PlayBook was being discontinued. On the contrary, I think he meant that it's silly to think the product is being discontinued when there appears to be another on the way.
    True and perhaps I should have read it that way. I apologize if I inadvertently stepped on any toes.
    01-26-12 02:56 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD