Just reading up on Miracast and how it can mirror one display onto another over a WiFi connection. Both devices need to be Miracast certified. BB10.2 is rumoured to bring this to BB10 devices, but what about the PlayBook?

I found that there are Miracast adapters out there that plug into the HDMI ports of non-Miracast-enabled devices. Would it not then make sense that once 10.2 comes, we could grab a Miracast adapter, plug it into the PlayBook, then mirror our Z10/Q10 screens onto our PlayBooks, effectively creating this "dumb tablet" idea that people are now talking about?

I don't know much on this subject, so go easy on me if I'm WAY off. This seems like a way to get more use out of the PlayBook now that we know BB10 isn't coming.
    07-17-13 03:16 PM
    Reading a bit further, it seems a device requires WiFi Direct as well as Miracast support for this function to work and I don't think the PlayBook has (or will ever have) WiFi Direct. I'm guessing that means my idea is shot. Nevermind!
    07-17-13 03:19 PM
    Thanks for trying. I also don't think the pb's hdmi takes INPUT - only outbound.
    07-17-13 03:57 PM
    07-17-13 05:32 PM
    Some DEV input I came across: https://developer.blackberry.com/htm.../miracast.html Interesting...but not 100% applicable. Sorry.
    07-17-13 06:43 PM
    If the wifi adapter hardware inside the PlayBook can be made Wifi-Direct compatible (perhaps by extending the driver), and if the hardware can handle the bandwidth, it should be possible to do it without a dongle. Theoretically. In fact, only one of the two devices connecting needs to support Wifi-Direct (in essence, act as a mobile hotspot). Other legacy Wifi devices should be able to connect to it via WPS.
    kyleheney likes this.
    07-18-13 04:55 AM