Just curious if I can expect such a thing anytime soon (and could it be used to add 3G cell connection to a Playbook?)
    A USB to micro USB adaptor could be used but that will add some length and make it more awkward.

I'm wondering because I'll be getting the initial Wi-Fi Playbook and that suits me but in the future I think it would be nice if I can add pre-paid data with a dongle - which would be for occasional use.
    04-16-11 09:42 PM
    As has been discussed for months now, the device at launch will not support USB On The Go (OTG), aka "host mode". It appears the hardware fully supports it, but there will not be software support until some undefined time in the future. I think the rumour "this summer" has been tossed around but wouldn't count on it.

Without host mode, you won't get this. With host mode, you might get it, assuming adequate driver support etc...

In short, no, you cannot expect this "anytime soon", but you can at least hope for it. There may even be a 3G version of the PB before host mode support. Nobody outside of RIM knows.

You can, however, just use one of the tethering options even with non-BlackBerry phones, if your phone as the right features.
    MisterMe11 likes this.
    04-16-11 10:27 PM
    Thanks. I've seen the discussion about OTG, but did not know enough about it to realize it would be required for this.

'Any time soon' was a poor choice of words, I really meant over the coming months/year or so. (just want to avoid buyers remorse when the 4G and possible 3G models come).
    04-17-11 12:05 AM
    Is this possible after the 2.0 update? Would be amazing if we could connect our 3G dongle with the micro USB to run internet.
    04-13-12 12:07 AM
    I doubt they will appear since I recently read that the FCC cleared a 4g gsm playbook that should be available soonish. The closest option I've seen was a buddy got an older bb on a pay as you go network and used the bridge.
    Last edited by bable; 04-13-12 at 12:16 AM.
    04-13-12 12:14 AM
    I used a mifi dongle like huawei e585 and the faster e586 as these require no cables and just work as mobile wifi hotspots that you can connect up to 5 devices at once to wirelessly.. I have the e585 7.2mbps and its very well made and works flawlessly. Hope this helps. P.s I'm in UK on three network.
    04-13-12 12:44 AM
    Both the hardware and drivers (software) are there , just not activated (unless rooted and initiated) but ya, its all there (that's what is driving me mad,knowing its all there and seeing it in action ,just not turned on in a stock non-rooted OS) -talking about USB Host-
    04-13-12 12:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD