10-26-12 10:40 AM
31 12
tools
    I watched the video below, and it looked like a 10" playbook. they tried even to imitate the bezel swipe gesture, but unfortunately it didn't work well. I was so sorry for the guy who did the presentation. ( see timeline 0'.38" ) He tried three times but now way. it didn't work, so he jumped to another subjet ^^

10-24-12 12:40 PM
    "video unavailable" at least from here in France
    If really they're based on swipes to switch apps and hardly can, it'll be interesting.
    Already yesterday I discussed with an android-based guy of tablet specificities, like this app that uses both gravimeter, magnetometer and GPS to show you exactly which part of the sky you're looking. He told me "yes, when it won't lag" -I showed "What's Up" on my BB: it's now on BB OS
    10-24-12 01:14 PM
    hmm.. windows 8 has quite a few similar gestures..
    10-24-12 01:32 PM
    Hi Herv.

Try again through a proxy server:
    efreeproxysite.com - Your Free Web Proxy

the url link for the video : h**p://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Wok28Rq2FdY

replace the ** by tt
    10-24-12 01:33 PM
    If you know anything about windows 8 or the Surface then you know how utterly ridiculous the OP's assertions are.

I have the Windows 8 RTM running on my windows slate. It is super responsive. There are very few similarities with the PB OS. Windows 8 is actually a PC OS, not a mobile OS. Its just that its a 'mobile PC OS'. You can do anything on it that you can do on Windows 7. It is a very powerful OS. And unlike PB OS, everything actually works out of the box.

Seriously, I am a fan of the PB OS, but comparing it to a full PC OS and trying to assert that it is somehow superior is ridiculous.
    10-24-12 03:35 PM
    ridiculous is nothing dude.

just watch the video and dare to tell me it works flawlessly. ^^

did you test yourself the Surface or are you just hoping it will work like your computer ?
    10-24-12 03:43 PM
    Uh...ok...dude

I don't need to watch a video. I have Windows 8, running on an almost 2yo slate and it excellent and smooth and FAST.

I have zero issues with it.
    10-24-12 04:48 PM
    Not even close. Read the tech reviews on the UI, dismal. I thought this might be a good tablet but so far the UI appears to be the weak point, as well as a still questionable battery life. Maybe they can work it out. A good Windows tablet would be a hit, but they can't seem to get a good one out, at least not one that the general consumer thinks is good. Some people like their Windows tablets.

Also, for those interested like I was, don't expect to be able to run legacy Windows apps on the Surface. Neither old nor new x86/x64 programs will work on Windows RT. The Desktop mode is restricted to pre-installed Microsoft-produced software. If that's a factor for you, don't get the Surface RT. Surface running normal Windows 8 has a better chance in my opinion. But remember about the battery life on a Windows tablet not running on the ARM processor. Just saying. Like I said, I'd like to see a good Windows tablet succeed, but so far I haven't tried one I like better than the PB.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 10-24-12 at 05:27 PM.
    10-24-12 05:07 PM
    Uh...ok...dude

I don't need to watch a video. I have Windows 8, running on an almost 2yo slate and it excellent and smooth and FAST.

I have zero issues with it.
    Maybe had you actually looked at the video, you would have realized that the in the portion of the video that the OP is referring to, the demonstrator is showing off a Windows RT Surface, not a Windows 8 Surface. It's easier to jump to conclusions though, I guess.
    10-24-12 05:10 PM
    Well, representing RT as Windows 8 is pretty misleading.

However, even the 'light' RT version will smoke any other OS in terms of productivity, it has Office preinstalled. Proper MS Office, not crummy Docs to Go.

Either way, as someone who has actually been using Windows 8 as my pc OS since July, I get irritated by people who haven't used it, or do not understand it criticising it. Just like Windows Phone 8, everyone decides its no good without even trying it. That's pretty lame in my book.
    madman0141 likes this.
    10-24-12 05:22 PM

However, even the 'light' RT version will smoke any other OS in terms of productivity, it has Office preinstalled. Proper MS Office, not crummy Docs to Go.

Either way, as someone who has actually been using Windows 8 as my pc OS since July, I get irritated by people who haven't used it, or do not understand it criticising it. Just like Windows Phone 8, everyone decides its no good without even trying it. That's pretty lame in my book.
    But having to run those MS programs in Desktop mode is where the complaints are coming from. I'm just sharing what the UI reviews are stating. I'm still going to try the Windows 8 model when I can, but so far Windows RT in a no for me. I'll see how the Toshiba and Lenovo pan out too.
    10-24-12 05:36 PM
    No one represented that Surface as being Windows 8. It seems that you're the only one who has mentioned Windows 8 in this thread. And I have tried Windows 8 on my Thinkpad Laptop/Tablet (penabled only) , the Developers Preview and then the Beta. I didn't like some things about it and went back to Windows 7 both times.
    10-24-12 05:37 PM
    Anyhow, back to the video.....that was a very awkward demonstration when it locked up after swiping. He did a great job keeping his composure though.

As to the question..I don't think the Surface is imitating the Playbook, the presenter was just used his Playbook he uses at home, and got confused
    Last edited by DC506; 10-24-12 at 06:31 PM.
    kdeckels and madman0141 like this.
    10-24-12 05:45 PM
    "..Is Microsoft Surface a 10" Playbook imitation .."

They had to imitate someone !!

Good for PB if they did ..as long as 'ms' end users are learned enough to realize it is a imitation of the RIM PB !!

imho
    10-24-12 06:50 PM
    I don't think it is, Microsoft seems to be doing their own thing with it. There's only so much you can do with a tablet.
    10-24-12 08:15 PM

If you see the video the OP is NOT talkin of power, apps or productivity... He IS talking ONLY of the Bezel Gestures.. Which ARE similar to some extent..

I don't think it is, Microsoft seems to be doing their own thing with it. There's only so much you can do with a tablet.
    I totally agree.. The patent things make me sad.. IMO at end of day there is only soo much varitations that you can put into phone and tablets (It is going to be rectangular to be comfy bt then some 'xyz' company has a patent on the rectangular phone).. though I still hope RIM has patented their Peek and Flow thingy
    10-24-12 11:48 PM
    I was waiting for one of those guys to drop the thing and see how high it would bounce. Overall impressive enough to make me want to take a look.
    10-25-12 01:19 AM
    well... didn't playbook bezel swipe gesture and UI also imitate the WebOS?
    10-25-12 03:18 AM
    well... didn't playbook bezel swipe gesture and UI also imitate the WebOS?
    Yeah type of.. I havent really used a TouchPad ever and only once ever seen a video of it.. it did look similar as in it did have a bit of swiping around.. But did it involve the bezel I don't know..
    10-25-12 09:35 AM
    I think RIM and MS struck a deal! to use some of the playbook gestures, so we can get skype on the playbook, and bb10 devices when it's fully launched! What do you think? If that's not the case MS mite be in for a law suit by rim..... JUST a thought, that would make sense wouldn't it? Let me know your thoughts on this.....
    10-25-12 06:45 PM
    Also, for those interested like I was, don't expect to be able to run legacy Windows apps on the Surface. Neither old nor new x86/x64 programs will work on Windows RT. The Desktop mode is restricted to pre-installed Microsoft-produced software. If that's a factor for you, don't get the Surface RT. Surface running normal Windows 8 has a better chance in my opinion. But remember about the battery life on a Windows tablet not running on the ARM processor. B.
    Maybe....since we're dealing with unknowns....and now we are starting to know why MS didn't want anyone trying the no-movement keyboard, LOL. As you say though, battery life is an issue, and I'd worry about that with the Intel version, moreover, that will be priced so high, I can't imagine anyone interested in "productivity", buying one of those with a crap keyboard (or paying more for what may be a modest one), when you'll be able to get a really nice ultrabook for the same price, or even cheaper. I don't think one would be nearly as productive, trying to get the kickstand up on your lap on the plane, and using your flat keyboard, then one would be with a nice laptop.

I can't imagine anyone but fanboys going for this thing.
    10-25-12 07:40 PM
    Maybe....since we're dealing with unknowns....and now we are starting to know why MS didn't want anyone trying the no-movement keyboard, LOL. As you say though, battery life is an issue, and I'd worry about that with the Intel version, moreover, that will be priced so high, I can't imagine anyone interested in "productivity", buying one of those with a crap keyboard (or paying more for what may be a modest one), when you'll be able to get a really nice ultrabook for the same price, or even cheaper. I don't think one would be nearly as productive, trying to get the kickstand up on your lap on the plane, and using your flat keyboard, then one would be with a nice laptop.

I can't imagine anyone but fanboys going for this thing.
    I've got to agree with you I still can't decide if I'm interested or not I will reserve judgment until I see some serious reviews followed by some hands on at a big box store before I considered the kind of coin ms is looking for to get one of these units.
    richardat likes this.
    10-25-12 10:19 PM
    I think RIM and MS struck a deal! to use some of the playbook gestures, so we can get skype on the playbook, and bb10 devices when it's fully launched! What do you think? If that's not the case MS mite be in for a law suit by rim..... JUST a thought, that would make sense wouldn't it? Let me know your thoughts on this.....

You (and OP) are delusional. Those are my thoughts.

sorry!

There's only so many gestures you can use that would be intuitive when it comes to using a touch interface. It shouldn't be too much of a stretch to believe that other tablets may use similar gestures. Heck, the Playbook at times gets accused of imitating the Touchpad... besides, i've heard some turtlenecked doosh say something like 'Good artists steal!' so if it was good enough for him, I think it's good enough for the rest of us!
    richardat likes this.
    10-26-12 12:45 AM
    Surface is getting released more than a year and a half after the playbook, obviously its going to be superior in many respects, but the way I look at it is that competition never hurt anyone. If RIM wants to be a serious player in mobile market, it better have leading innovations coming right after another....well...I guess we can only wait and see...
    Last edited by annon91221; 10-26-12 at 01:44 AM.
    10-26-12 01:10 AM
    I've got to agree with you I still can't decide if I'm interested or not I will reserve judgment until I see some serious reviews followed by some hands on at a big box store before I considered the kind of coin ms is looking for to get one of these units.
    Yeah, that's fair. Besides my freely-admitted hatred of MS (my one big tech bias), I just don't see the target market....it is an unfocused illegitimate child at that price point, and overall, I never believe in MS"s ability to bring a high quality product to market, though they have been giving it their all to do so the last several years, and sooner or later they will succeed in getting out at least one product that doesn't suck ;-)

Right now, I could not imagine buying this over an ipad with cover keyboard for the same price...or on the Android side, something like a Transformer Prim....why would anyone objective want an unproven product, OS, and ecosystem, for the same price?? Office?? Sure, but let's face it, for light-duty office you can get away with the ipad apps, and for heavy-duty, you need a laptop with a real keyboard. Then there's the fact that office is coming for ios and android next year...and it's just hard to see why any non MS fan would be anxious for this!

Still, anyone wanting to buy it, for whatever reason, should do just as you say, and wait for reviews, user feedback, and the chance to use it themselves....not to mention seeing how the ecosystem and sales go! Good advice.

EDIT: I should say, PROBABLY Office is coming to ios/android. In fact, I think it is almost certain to, (some say next year, some say as early as Nov) unless perhaps the Surface became a runaway sensation.
    10-26-12 03:19 AM
31 12