Saw this on Engadget:

Windows 8 is coming and it features more and better Xbox integration than we've yet seen in an operating system from the company -- but it looks like Microsoft has something even bigger up its sleeve. We've just seen a presentation indicating the company will launch something called Smart Glass next week, a so-called "companion application" that will act much like AirPlay for the Xbox 360. Using the app, users will be able to play video and other media on tablets and phones and, more interestingly, push that content right to their consoles for playback on the big(ger) screen. But, it gets better: this app is said to be available for tablets and phones running Windows, Windows Phone, Android and iOS. Yes, it'll be about as multiplatform as it gets, and if this presentation proves to be legitimate, we'll be learning a lot more next week when E3 gets underway

Microsoft Smart Glass coming at E3, AirPlay-style streaming from iOS, Android and Windows Phone? -- Engadget

As per usual, no mention of the Playbook being supported.
    06-02-12 12:47 PM
    DLNA would go along way for the PB right now as this is similar to what is going on in the above article. airplay and smart glass are just more advanced ways of using DLNA type technology, much better and cleaner actually lol
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-02-12 01:05 PM
    Saw this on Engadget:

Windows 8 is coming and it features more and better Xbox integration than we've yet seen in an operating system from the company -- but it looks like Microsoft has something even bigger up its sleeve. We've just seen a presentation indicating the company will launch something called Smart Glass next week, a so-called "companion application" that will act much like AirPlay for the Xbox 360. Using the app, users will be able to play video and other media on tablets and phones and, more interestingly, push that content right to their consoles for playback on the big(ger) screen. But, it gets better: this app is said to be available for tablets and phones running Windows, Windows Phone, Android and iOS. Yes, it'll be about as multiplatform as it gets, and if this presentation proves to be legitimate, we'll be learning a lot more next week when E3 gets underway

Microsoft Smart Glass coming at E3, AirPlay-style streaming from iOS, Android and Windows Phone? -- Engadget

I'm really very surprised MS supports their own mOS. They have, from the launch of Windows Phone, supported all the other systems instead of their own. A lot of people have been waiting and waiting for features and particular apps for their newly adopted system-of-choice, Windows Phone, only to see MS release app after app for the other systems instead of WP.
    06-02-12 01:28 PM
    Saw this on Engadget:

BlackBerry 7 features DLNA in a very upfront no frills way. It's not all cool looking by any means but if you check it out then you'll get the gist of it.
    06-02-12 01:31 PM

"...But, it gets better: this app is said to be available for tablets and phones running Windows, Windows Phone, Android and iOS. Yes, it'll be about as multiplatform as it gets, and if this presentation proves to be legitimate, we'll be learning a lot more next week when E3 gets underway..."
    It's sad that "as multiplatform as it gets" does not include our beloved BBOS or QNX... smh.

Yup, used to this now... oh well
    06-02-12 04:50 PM
    I am not sure why this is a surprise. They focus their efforts for the greater market share. They also don't support mac or other computer platforms. Smart Business.
    06-02-12 05:56 PM
    I'm not surprised to be honest. If I was a company that was going to produce a new service, I'd want to make it available to platforms that are either in a lot of demand or have a lot of promise.

The way it looks, RIM don't really seem to care about the level of quality in their products.. it therefore comes as no surprise that no one else wants to jump on the BB Platform
    06-03-12 05:22 AM
    DLNA would go along way for the PB right now as this is similar to what is going on in the above article. airplay and smart glass are just more advanced ways of using DLNA type technology, much better and cleaner actually lol
    While it's understandable that MS wants to promote their Xbox and apple their AirPlay box,note that Sony went DLNA for their phones, tablets and T.V screens ... and most TV brands joined the DLNA consortium also.
    I can't refrain hitting the dlna.org page to see RIM's devices listed.
    This MUST (yes, I'm shouting) happend; universal OTA share wit multimedia devices like (modern) TVs and sound systems. And one can dream either ... other smartphones and tablets. That's my obsession for over a year.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 06-03-12 at 05:31 AM.
    06-03-12 05:27 AM
    I dont think the android version will be supported if they bring that one out ..
    06-03-12 05:45 AM
    Saw this on Engadget:

This sounds like a DLNA media renderer and control point - nothing to get excited about (well, currently there's almost no support for that on the PlayBook, but it is hopefully coming).
    06-03-12 07:05 AM
    We were told the Playbook would have DLNA even before it launched, and still nothing. Since this technology probably just uses some API's to make DLNA a little more seamless, is it any surprise that our platform that doesn't support it isn't being shown any love. Probably won't see it until BB10.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    06-03-12 07:30 AM
    I think a lot of things are waiting for bb10. It's too much hassle to have to keep changing things until it's out.
    06-03-12 07:44 AM
    Eh. It doesn't exactly appeal to me. I feel like it would complicate my life more than make it easier. I'm sure I can do that on my android with some hacking here and there, but I would never use features like that.
    06-03-12 05:19 PM
    id rather sony get in on deal with bb or nothing at all. xbux sux
    06-03-12 05:58 PM
    FYI, RIM is partner of the DLNA consortium and OS7.1 offers a DLNA feature called "Media Server" that enables streaming over several devices, PS3 being demoed by Bla1ze a few months ago.
    Yet, there's no device listed as "compatible" in the DLNA site for RIM products (while RIM is actually listed as a brand).

Add that I've been asking infos about this to the DLNA consortium, RIM, RIM dev, Alec Saunders and eventually many other and all the answers were very ... evasive.
    My nose is scratching that they don't want to state about their current status on that matter ... and some of you know how much I can be optimistic ... But you'll make your own opinion, as I have nothing solid to state yet.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 06-03-12 at 06:22 PM.
    06-03-12 06:19 PM
    What happens when you create an OS that is more powerful than any other mobile OS? They all hate you, that's what. Lol
    MasterOfBinary and PatrickMJS like this.
    06-03-12 08:18 PM
    That's one way to think about it.
    06-04-12 12:13 AM
    I'm not surprised to be honest. If I was a company that was going to produce a new service, I'd want to make it available to platforms that are either in a lot of demand or have a lot of promise.

The way it looks, RIM don't really seem to care about the level of quality in their products.. it therefore comes as no surprise that no one else wants to jump on the BB Platform

What a ridiclous statement. Probably from a Lemming. The quality of RIM's products is excellent. The appeal is an issue right now for numerous reasons, but to say the company doesn't care is absurd. The R&D and software engineering RIM is putting into BB10 is a clear sign of their determination to win back market share. RIM has no control over companies who choose to exclude them now. All RIM can do as a company is produce a product that consumers should want (BB10 devices) and market the crap out of it to win a larger market share.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    06-04-12 01:20 AM
    ^^^^^^Agreed.

Rim just values different things in terms of standards..
    06-04-12 02:02 AM
    What happens when you create an OS that is more powerful than any other mobile OS? They all hate you, that's what. Lol
    Which OS would that be?
    06-04-12 04:44 AM
    Well, now seeing it at the Microsoft E3 press conference, Smart Glass is clearly much more than a simple DLNA server. For example, it can be used as an additional screen for your games; it functions as a remote and access terminal for Internet Explorer which is finally coming to the Xbox; and seems to allow the users to shift a movie from the tablet to the xbox.

I still think having the Smart Glass app on the Playbook would be a good thing.
    06-04-12 12:39 PM
    Well, now seeing it at the Microsoft E3 press conference, Smart Glass is clearly much more than a simple DLNA server. For example, it can be used as an additional screen for your games; it functions as a remote and access terminal for Internet Explorer which is finally coming to the Xbox; and seems to allow the users to shift a movie from the tablet to the xbox.

I still think having the Smart Glass app on the Playbook would be a good thing.
    So basically Windows Phone should easily be able to replicate the 'remote' feature of Blackberry bridge.
    Microsoft will give a Windows Phone 8 sneak peek June 20th. If the rumoured Windows 8 & WP8 integration really is true, Blackberry bridge may cease to be the great selling point it was thought to be...
    06-04-12 04:48 PM
    This is more like making your phone or tablet a peripheral and I do not believe they announced what platforms will be supported yet. They likely will support android so I think we'll be good if it can translate to a android app for us but I don't know the specific limitations on that sorta thing.

So far they demo'd it as a way to play the new madden game and as a controller for the browser they are gonna put in the console. I think it could become something big because the WiiU is getting that controller with screen and this essentially gives you something LIKE that with a peripheral you already own. This in itself is something markedly different coming from MS which is passing up an opportunity of selling you a new peripheral.
    06-04-12 06:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD