http://mashable.com/2012/04/06/windo...ft-incentives/

MIcrosoft is paying from 60k to 600,000 to developers to develop apps. They paid a 3rd party to develop a 4square app with foursquares input and consent.

Ive been of the notion that RIM should do this for a while now. BUt not a whole lot, just for the few big ones.
    CairnsRock and filmansantiago like this.
    04-06-12 05:51 PM
    RIM is paying Score Mobile, Rogers Media and a number of other fair-sized development companies to write applications for the PlayBook. I don't think they've apped the ante to the amount needed to get Skype, Pandora or Netflix on side, though.
    04-06-12 05:56 PM
    RIM's stash is probably thinner.
    04-06-12 06:05 PM
    Microsoft's solution is always to throw good money at a problem... They do this for literally everything. A lot of the time it flat out does not work....
    04-06-12 06:06 PM
    Still, not a bad short term solution to 'lubricate the gears' as someone stated earlier. Once the necessary momentum is achieved they stop paying for new apps.

I wonder who gets the money when a pay app is sold?
    04-06-12 07:30 PM
    Still, not a bad short term solution to 'lubricate the gears' as someone stated earlier. Once the necessary momentum is achieved they stop paying for new apps.

I wonder who gets the money when a pay app is sold?
    Except that Microsoft has been doing this for a long time now and they still have a very small marketshare on WP7...
    Magnesus likes this.
    04-06-12 07:38 PM
    If you build it, they will come.

More devs will sign on when all of RIM's devices share a common OS like Android and Apple. There are far too many devices, screen sizes and so on. It's more work, work equals time and time is money. This is another one of those "Common Sense" things. Sure RIM could spend some problems away but just like anything in life, they need a LONG term solution. BB10
    04-06-12 07:47 PM
    Except that Microsoft has been doing this for a long time now and they still have a very small marketshare on WP7...
    Actually WP7 has been on the market for less than 18 months, and less than a year in some markets with respect to having more than a single handset available. It also has only had its major partner rolling out handsets for a few months. In that time its app store has grown from zero to 80000. That is hardly a long time and Microsoft has made it clear from the start that they are taking the same long haul strategy they took with XBOX. As to the idea of them paying some developers, if anyone really bothered to check, they would find that Apple, Google, and the hardware companies using android pay developers as well. Microsoft is not paying all developers - they are paying key developers to assure that essential apps are covered. It is good business.....
    Last edited by swyost; 04-06-12 at 08:35 PM.
    yanicmb and Cantime77 like this.
    04-06-12 08:31 PM
    Actually WP7 has been on the market for less than 18 months, and less than a year in some markets with respect to having more than a single handset available. It also has only had its major partner rolling out handsets for a few months. In that time its app store has grown from zero to 80000. That is hardly a long time and Microsoft has made it clear from the start that they are taking the same long haul strategy they took with XBOX. As to the idea of them paying some developers, if anyone really bothered to check, they would find that Apple, Google, and the hardware companies using android pay developers as well. Microsoft is not paying all developers - they are paying key developers to assure that essential apps are covered. It is good business.....
    One might find it ironic as to how long it took something like Skype to hit WP7 then...

They've been offering incentives to developers before WP7 devices even released, yet here we are...
    04-06-12 08:36 PM
    What do you think giving away playbooks was all about? Essentially paying devs with a product instead of cash.
    Magnesus likes this.
    04-06-12 09:17 PM
    One might find it ironic as to how long it took something like Skype to hit WP7 then...

They've been offering incentives to developers before WP7 devices even released, yet here we are...
    You do know that MS owns skype right? Also WP devices with FFCs have only been available for 6 months or so. And yes here we are with WP already with more apps then BB.
    04-06-12 10:44 PM
    With the exception of skype and a few other key apps, H*LL NO Rim should not be paying off devs to write apps. Rim is not rich like MS. I want Rim to stay in the black, not in the red. Plus, the money would be much better spent on marketing and rebuilding the damaged blackberry brand than on hiring developers to create apps for the pb.
    04-06-12 10:59 PM
    stupidest move ever. you reward developers who can give you the app you want, and not throw money at anyone who creates anything. i blame rim for the existence of so many crappy and buggy apps with no support on appworld.

not to mention big app companies work in teams. what on earth are they going to do with a pb? clearly what rim did appealed to novice app developers or sole developers who just couldnt care less what they developed. i heard of this guy who created a android app JUST to port it over for a free pb.

you can't blame the developers. can't believe rim didnt forsee this coming. even if they wanted to throw away playbooks like that they should have considered the fact that the end user suffers from all the crap in appworld.

What do you think giving away playbooks was all about? Essentially paying devs with a product instead of cash.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-06-12 11:08 PM

More devs will sign on when all of RIM's devices share a common OS like Android and Apple. There are far too many devices, screen sizes and so on. It's more work, work equals time and time is money. This is another one of those "Common Sense" things. Sure RIM could spend some problems away but just like anything in life, they need a LONG term solution. BB10
    Thanks vancity, this is the best and most logical reason that I have read in all of the threads on the app issue. Excellent post.
    VanCity778 likes this.
    04-06-12 11:18 PM
    stupidest move ever. you reward developers who can give you the app you want, and not throw money at anyone who creates anything. i blame rim for the existence of so many crappy and buggy apps with no support on appworld.

not to mention big app companies work in teams. what on earth are they going to do with a pb? clearly what rim did appealed to novice app developers or sole developers who just couldnt care less what they developed. i heard of this guy who created a android app JUST to port it over for a free pb.

you can't blame the developers. can't believe rim didnt forsee this coming. even if they wanted to throw away playbooks like that they should have considered the fact that the end user suffers from all the crap in appworld.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Oh no argument there.... I thought it was stupid too. And yes it flooded appworld with crap apps.
    04-06-12 11:21 PM

You kinda confuse me. Do you think the os bb10 is only come on 1 device and screen size?
    04-06-12 11:35 PM
    stupidest move ever.

I am so sorry for making you suffer - I now see that I was wrong to develop an app for RIM. Does it make any difference that my app has been quite successful and has returned enough royalties to RIM to pay for several dozen PlayBooks Should I return my "free" PlayBook or will you allow me to keep it?

I always thought that RIM was playing a numbers game and fully expected that a sizable proportion of apps produced this way would not do well. I thought that they wanted to attract dedicated people like me to the platform (and several other developers who frequent this forum). RIM couldn't very well have dialed us up and asked us to submit an app. We were all new to the platform early last year and were absolute unknowns.

But you have shown me the error of my ways and I am truly sorry for causing so much pain and suffering. Sorry...
    k
    polytope, zethaaron and Magnesus like this.
    04-06-12 11:38 PM
    You kinda confuse me. Do you think the os bb10 is only come on 1 device and screen size?
    Fragmentation is a major problem with BBOS. Apps needed to be re-written each time a new device was introduced. So if we wrote an app to run in OS6, we had to re-write it so that it could run on OS7. Not a good situation if a developer wants to make money.

BB10 is what is being called a "unified" operating system. RIM is developing a standard set of development tools so that apps can be written once and they will be guaranteed to run on all future devices. Apple developers have had this competitive advantage for many years now and, believe me, we like where RIM is going with this.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-06-12 11:47 PM
    I have a simple question; why should a company spend there resource to create an application for an OS that don't has a future? Just in a couple months the BB10 platform will be released with a new structure, it will use C/C++. I'm a Computer programmer and can tell that the BB10 will be amazing, and I believe with the new OS most of the application will reach our applications market. Even I started to think to write some useful application for this new platform. And I would like to add that the big numbers in a App Store doesn't matter, important are the qualities of application that are available.
    Magnesus and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-07-12 12:05 AM
    I am so sorry for making you suffer - I now see that I was wrong to develop an app for RIM. Does it make any difference that my app has been quite successful and has returned enough royalties to RIM to pay for several dozen PlayBooks Should I return my "free" PlayBook or will you allow me to keep it?

I always thought that RIM was playing a numbers game and fully expected that a sizable proportion of apps produced this way would not do well. I thought that they wanted to attract dedicated people like me to the platform (and several other developers who frequent this forum). RIM couldn't very well have dialed us up and asked us to submit an app. We were all new to the platform early last year and were absolute unknowns.

But you have shown me the error of my ways and I am truly sorry for causing so much pain and suffering. Sorry...
    k
    Brother my daughter has whats up on her playbook. In her science class they had a project to build a chart of our solar system. She down loaded your app just to help her to build and label her chart. She ended up adding her playbook to the project. Using the blackberry folder case she set the playbook up at the bottom of the chart. You find an object on the chart then find it on whats up. Her science teacher asked her to put the project in the science fair next month.
    Thank you brother for your work. Thanks for your time on the forums.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    04-07-12 12:05 AM
    I have a simple question; why should a company spend there resource to create an application for an OS that don't has a future? Just in a couple months the BB10 platform will be released with a new structure, it will use C/C++. I'm a Computer programmer and can tell that the BB10 will be amazing, and I believe with the new OS most of the application will reach our applications market. Even I started to think to write some useful application for this new platform. And I would like to add that the big numbers in a App Store doesn't matter, important are the qualities of application that are available.
    SMH. I have a better question. How many os7 devices do you think is on the street? If your a programmer and built a good app it could bring a good chunk of change in your pocket. Thats the good thing about a new os coming. You port the app to the new os and sell it again.
    Ok where in the playbook section, so the device here is already running the qnx os which bb10 is. Are you writting apps for the playbook?
    04-07-12 12:16 AM
    Fragmentation is a major problem with BBOS. Apps needed to be re-written each time a new device was introduced. So if we wrote an app to run in OS6, we had to re-write it so that it could run on OS7. Not a good situation if a developer wants to make money.

BB10 is what is being called a "unified" operating system. RIM is developing a standard set of development tools so that apps can be written once and they will be guaranteed to run on all future devices. Apple developers have had this competitive advantage for many years now and, believe me, we like where RIM is going with this.
    The poster put alot into different devices and screen sizes. I believe that bb10 will still see different models. An app only has to be rewritten if say the hardware it uses changes. I.E a couple apps not mentioning the resolution ran ok from os6 on os7. This was prolly the biggest hit that apps has taken. Os7 devices was such a jump in hardware. Throwing in the gpu just caused havoc. I had pretty good luck with carrying apps over prior to os7. Usually an update comes out real shortly to fix the resolution and whatever.
    I hope that bb10 is closer to the bbos than the pb os is.
    04-07-12 12:41 AM
    Using HTML5 would be a solution because it would make the application/game work on many different platforms. HTML5 is quite slow though on mobile devices. I plan on checking this route soon though because I just finished a complex Mahjong game using HTML5 canvas for a client (who agrees for having it not exclusively ). I will try to make it into an application for Playbook soon. If Qt will be used on BB10 it should be easy with QtWebKit which is quite powerful (shame it doesn't have webGL yet though - that would make making games much easier, right now I use canvas).
    Last edited by Magnesus; 04-07-12 at 01:43 AM.
    04-07-12 01:40 AM

k
    if you really are sorry that means you would give away the PB... ill take it!

by the way, even though I dont have your app... THANK YOU for developing for the PB. If there were more people like you the world would be a better place.

(also i think that what RIM could have done was make the offer of the free PB include a minimum number of app sales/ratings ... it was great to get apps, but not all the apps were worth a dollar, not to mention a PB)
    04-07-12 01:47 AM
    I believe the whole point is that PB apps will be BB10 compatible (including the Android Ports).

1 - Not one device.
    2 - Not one screen size, however I believe RIM announced that they would be only releasing phones with a certain resolution, meaning that any app developed for the standard 1024x600 will run on the PlayBook, as well as all BB10 phones. I could be wrong, but I definitely think I remember hearing this.

I just quoted you because I agreed with what you said/was trying to add to it a bit. I've found you usually know what you're talking about. :P
    04-07-12 02:38 AM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD