I find this hilarious Rim is counting on Angry Birds and Microsoft to partner with to save sinking stock!

Microsoft, AngryBirds, Bing get more play at BlackBerry World on opening day than the PlayBook!

What is the big news, everyone attending gets a PlayBook!
    05-03-11 08:45 AM
    I thought they were counting on Adobe, Tetris and Facebook to "save sinking stock".

I didn't hear about Andry Birds on Playbook until now. Yeah, it got more "more play" than anything else.
    Last edited by Intosh; 05-03-11 at 09:29 AM.
    05-03-11 09:26 AM
    If that's all you got out of it, then you were not paying attention.
    05-03-11 09:34 AM
    A failed mobile OS provider teaming up with a failing mobile OS/phone provider.

Should make for a great partnership.
    Nervous?..
    05-03-11 10:28 AM
    He should have been more cautious. He has a week off under the Zero Tolerance Troll Removal scheme.
    05-03-11 11:04 AM
    If they do it right this could be awesome for both companys

I had a Conversation with Kevin about my feelings of a Mircosoft/RIM partnership.

I should really draft up my feelings / strategies / rational for this

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    05-03-11 11:07 AM
    Angry Birds? Saving RIM? I don't have a PB, still under consideration but AB is the last thing I'd care about.

It was fun for a while but got old quick for me.

PB good hardware. Still needs a few more tools for me though. Red 5 standing by
    05-03-11 11:15 AM
    A failed mobile OS provider teaming up with a failing mobile OS/phone provider.

Should make for a great partnership.
    RIM's visionaries have recognized that the mobile device market (smartphones, tablets, etc.) is evolving in a manner that is unique and is going to be absolutely massive compared to past technology advancements.

Unlike some vendors who still believe that a proprietary, closed architecture and ecosystem will prevail (i.e. 'our way or the highway'), RIM understands that their key corporate market (and ultimately consumers as well) want flexibility and choice. The ability to run any app from any vendor, and the ability to manage IT policies on any phone or device regardless of the vendor, is ultimately the way the market is moving - and so that is the way RIM is evolving as well - and they will have first mover advantage. The days of a single vendor owning the entire market (aka Windows) are over.

Who wants to be trapped in any one vendor's closed ecosystem these days? Certainly Microsoft needs to understand that the ground is shifting under their feet, and their attendence at this week's RIM conference suggests that they finally get it as well.
    05-03-11 11:22 AM
    If that's all you got out of it, then you were not paying attention.
    I also got out still no email and demo wasn't even complete. Also Android apps could save AppWorld!
    05-03-11 11:33 AM
    im disappointed with the bing services. Personally im still waiting to see what RIM will do with its acquisition of the company Dash almost two years ago. Nothing has come out of that and this would've been a perfect time to introduce turn by turn directions on the playbook
    05-03-11 11:46 AM
    I also got out still no email and demo wasn't even complete. Also Android apps could save AppWorld!
    There wasnt supposed to be email at this point, they said 60 days not 14... At least they had something to demo....
    05-03-11 12:09 PM

Email on my Playbook works great!!
    05-03-11 12:14 PM
    Which phone do most corporate IT departments support? BlackBerry.

Which desktop OS do most corporate IT departments support? Windows.

I'm not a big fan of MS, but the partnership makes sense to me.
    05-03-11 12:14 PM
    Nervous?..
    The reality is that as soon as hardware makers can build a unit that will run Window's as well as a full sized laptop, Andriod,WebOS, and other tablet operating systems will go away. RIM is smart to get ahead of the curve on this.
    05-03-11 12:17 PM
    Ignore Microsoft? Not possible. Better to get onside or risk being swept aside...?
    05-03-11 12:46 PM
    This is a surprising, yet refreshing strategic move. Now if RIM could figure out how to partner with Canonical... WOW just wow...
    05-03-11 01:35 PM
    That is funny coming from a person that still has Cingular in their provider info. I wouldn't brag about using them when they actually existed.
    05-03-11 02:32 PM
    The reality is that as soon as hardware makers can build a unit that will run Window's as well as a full sized laptop, Andriod,WebOS, and other tablet operating systems will go away. RIM is smart to get ahead of the curve on this.
    cough Motion Computing
    cough Tablet Kiosk
    05-03-11 02:34 PM
    does anyone remember the Dash takeover??? what does RIM plan to do with their technology???
    05-03-11 10:43 PM
    Erickson, palm, lg and nortel also set up mobile alliances with msft.

Msft has a reputation of killing its competitors from within.
    05-03-11 11:14 PM
    im disappointed with the bing services. Personally im still waiting to see what RIM will do with its acquisition of the company Dash almost two years ago. Nothing has come out of that and this would've been a perfect time to introduce turn by turn directions on the playbook
    BB Traffic?
    05-03-11 11:26 PM
    Erickson, palm, lg and nortel also set up mobile alliances with msft.

Msft has a reputation of killing its competitors from within.
    didn't Apple prosper with Windows Office software?
    05-03-11 11:27 PM
    you think thats it?

i mean....i guess i can see it....but i guess having bing just disappoints me.

Dash had the navigation software...

mayb my expectations were just too high....

im also surprised they pretty much did away with BB Maps as well. mayb it will come later down the road though...i hope
    05-03-11 11:33 PM
    didn't Apple prosper with Windows Office software?
    i wonder how much apple pays MS to allow backwards compatibility, plus being able to install windows on a mac and not allowing OSX to be installed on a pc (legally anyway) - probably quite the nice dollar figure i imagine.
    05-03-11 11:36 PM
    i wonder how much apple pays MS to allow backwards compatibility, plus being able to install windows on a mac and not allowing OSX to be installed on a pc (legally anyway) - probably quite the nice dollar figure i imagine.
    you are not getting the point here, had Microsoft not made the MS office for Mac 12 years ago it would have killed Apple's revival plans which was on the verge of bankruptcy. In a way MSFT helped Apple revive its fortunes.

Some quotes by Steve jobs from 1997 conference, “Apple needs help from other partners; it needs to help other partners.” However the latter never happened.

Let me refresh some kind memories from the past.

Microsoft to invest $150 million in Apple - CNET News

Aug. 6, 1997: Apple Rescued �€” by Microsoft | This Day In Tech | Wired.com
    Last edited by sf49ers; 05-04-11 at 12:04 AM.
    05-03-11 11:59 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD