Just curious: has anyone successfully used a micro USB-to-USB female adapter to do things like transfer files to the Playbook? One of the few things that makes me dislike a PB is the lack of any sort of ability to bring in files or take files away, when I am away from my WiFi network.

So, I was thinking... what if I hooked up a micro USB to USB female adapter, and plugged a SD card reader into the end of it. Could I do that, and successfully bring in jpg files from my camera that way?

Anyone here tried such a thing on a stock PB? Or even a rooted PB?

Thanks!
    05-10-12 08:36 PM
    By the way, I don't have a PB right now, but would LOVE to have one, but this file transfer issue is kicking my , since it has no card slots nor any way to transfer via BT.
    05-10-12 08:37 PM
    USB OTA is coming very soon, but for now you can use Files and Folders and sign up for the Box.net storage..
    Then you can upload your files from the PB to the Box cloud, then access it from your PC or the PB again to download.

Check out the Files and Folders App in AppWorld for more info.
    05-10-12 08:56 PM
    I would LOVE to have this feature but if you search the threads, the answer in NO :-(

I am off on a tour to the Indian Subcontinent in 6 months so this would be great to upload key photos to the cloud.

Alas ..........
    05-10-12 09:05 PM
    From BB Beta Zone:

USB Drive Access

https://beta.webapps.blackberry.com/threads/view/10477

Yes, someday soon...don't know how soon.
    05-10-12 09:11 PM
    Other than what was mentioned above, there is no BT transfer as you find in other devices - that is "No send to bt device" nor "receive from bt device"
    05-10-12 09:29 PM
    Am I missing something? The PB comes with a micro to usb, and you can transfer files from a pc to the PB and vice versa. Is that one of the things you were asking?
    05-11-12 05:41 AM
    OP wants to plug in to SD Card reader or USB flash drive.
    05-11-12 05:59 AM
    Another option is transfer the files from computer to BlackBerry smartphone's microSD card and then via BlackBerry Bridge access those files. Another option is thje Seagate GoFlex Satellite WiFi External Hard Drive and access those files via WiFi between the GoFlex and tablet; the GoFlex can act as a WiFi AP creating a Personal Area Network (PAN).

A side benefit of microSD cards for the smartphone is you can swallow them before entering the USofA in hopes of avoiding having your electronic storage media copied and retained by the glorious TSA. On downside is it could take 2 weeks to retrieve those microSD cards.
    05-11-12 06:16 AM
    You might also check with your camera manufacturer to see if there is an Android app that could be converted to a playbook bar that would do this.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    05-11-12 06:58 AM
    By the way, I don't have a PB right now, but would LOVE to have one, but this file transfer issue is kicking my , since it has no card slots nor any way to transfer via BT.
    i understand your concern perfectly - as i myself invested time to research it - but the bolded statement is, technically speaking, incorrect.

There is a relatively simple method to endlessly move files between your BB phone's SD card and the Playbook using Bluetooth...

All you need is to bridge the 2 devices (currently a BT connectivity) and copy and paste them back and forth using the (paid) Files and Folders app.

I am currently trying the app and performed the operation dozens of times with all sorts of files...it is really a wonderful feature allowing several things at once:

- privacy and security as anything moved through a cloud is less secure by definition
    - using BB phone's SD card as a memory extension for my 16 MB PB
    - cleaning PB's memory banks
    - rearranging files and both devices using PB's superior IO interfaces and larger screen.
    05-11-12 07:26 AM
    Thanks for all the info, folks. But unfortunately, rational_mind, my original statement actually is correct: since it has no card slots nor any way to transfer via BT.

1. There are no card slots on a PB
    2. *Pure* BT file transfer is an impossibility at this point. (I should have been more specific with that.) If there were actual BT file transfer, I could use any BT device to transfer pics or files.

Yes, I can use Bridge if I have a BB phone, but at this point I do not have a BB phone, so Bridge is not an option, and I am nowhere near my phone upgrade date. Of course, even if I did, it would require somehow getting my camera's pics to the BB phone first. We are talking about dedicated camera pics, not camera phone pics.

I already have dropbox and a couple of other solutions, which work wonderfully WHEN I am in a WiFi area. My original post specifically said without using WiFi.

And Yankee495, I can't access the Beta Zone without a BB device of some sort, and it's funny, but they don't even list the PB as a Blackberry device in their account signup menu.

05-11-12 12:00 PM
    Actually, I found the Playbook listed in the BetaZone's signup list, so my mistake, but they do require that I enter my PIN, and since I don't have a PB at this time, I can't do that.

Ah, well.
    05-11-12 12:05 PM
    OK, here's an idea.

If I had a BB phone (say an older one that someone was retiring or just wanted to get rid of because they had a newer one), and that BB had a microSD slot, it's conceivable that I could use microSDs in my camera (with the adapter) and then use the BB phone as the intermediary between the two, via Bridge.

It's sort of kludgy and Rube Goldbergian, but it might work.

What say you? Do you think I could find an affordable BB phone with microSD (that works) and do that?

I ask because the last BB phone I used was one of those HUGE honkin' things with the thumbwheel on the side, that had a big plastic hanger for my belt.
    05-11-12 12:12 PM

And Yankee495, I can't access the Beta Zone without a BB device of some sort, and it's funny, but they don't even list the PB as a Blackberry device in their account signup menu.

Sorry about that. They project manager says it is on the road map and not sure when it will be implemented.

We think very soon.
    05-11-12 01:09 PM
    OK, here's an idea.

If I had a BB phone (say an older one that someone was retiring or just wanted to get rid of because they had a newer one), and that BB had a microSD slot, it's conceivable that I could use microSDs in my camera (with the adapter) and then use the BB phone as the intermediary between the two, via Bridge.

It's sort of kludgy and Rube Goldbergian, but it might work.

What say you? Do you think I could find an affordable BB phone with microSD (that works) and do that?

I ask because the last BB phone I used was one of those HUGE honkin' things with the thumbwheel on the side, that had a big plastic hanger for my belt.
    Interesting idea. One more item to schlepp around and I'd need the right sd-card size adapters, meaning more expense since I don't have a micro sd with capacity. But I do have my 9650/bold as a spare. Also speed of transfer could be an issue but started and left alone it might be okay. A cable would be so much simpler if OTA is enabled.
    05-11-12 02:36 PM
    I understand about schlepping another toy around, but unless and until RIM does enable OTA cables to work, it might be a workaround for me. It is not anywhere near a certainty that they will do that, or so I have heard.

I love the PB form factor and all that, but the ability to transfer files when NOT in a WiFi environment is really important to me, and I'm trying to figure out how to do that. Whenever you buy a microSD card, you get an adapter anyway, so it would not be an issue for me. And I've tried using microSD cards in my camera while carried in the adapter, and they work just fine.

BTW, how slow IS file transfer via Bridge, anyway?

Of course, I'd have to see if I could find a BB phone on the cheap!

Tony
    05-11-12 08:01 PM
    I just use a 16GB micro SD in the BBerry, and transfer over via Bridge when I need the documents/data. I PDF everything which really shrinks them down in size, if you know how to use Acrobat properly.

A side benefit of microSD cards for the smartphone is you can swallow them before entering the USofA in hopes of avoiding having your electronic storage media copied and retained by the glorious TSA. On downside is it could take 2 weeks to retrieve those microSD cards.
    TWO WEEKS??? Man, you need to see a Dr! or else start eating better, chased by a nice glass of red wine.

On the serious side, is that an actual fact.. that the TSA copies all your cards??? That in itself is downright scary.
    05-11-12 08:29 PM
    Come into the light side of life, my child. Yes, BBerries are now sleeker, slimmer, lighter and emanating finesse from every port. Go to the store... .you WILL be dazzled.
    05-11-12 08:34 PM
    TOphotog,

Yeah, but I'd have to pay full price for one because my contract with Verizon is still in force.
    05-11-12 08:50 PM
    TOphotog,

Yeah, but I'd have to pay full price for one because my contract with Verizon is still in force.
    05-11-12 08:52 PM
    I understand about schlepping another toy around, but unless and until RIM does enable OTA cables to work, it might be a workaround for me. It is not anywhere near a certainty that they will do that, or so I have heard.

I love the PB form factor and all that, but the ability to transfer files when NOT in a WiFi environment is really important to me, and I'm trying to figure out how to do that. Whenever you buy a microSD card, you get an adapter anyway, so it would not be an issue for me. And I've tried using microSD cards in my camera while carried in the adapter, and they work just fine.

BTW, how slow IS file transfer via Bridge, anyway?

Of course, I'd have to see if I could find a BB phone on the cheap!

Tony
    Oh, one minor warning - involves the newest 99xx phones (which probably cannot be acquired at bargain pricing (although I got mine for free on a special sale)) - you cannot remove the sd card while the battery is in, you must pull the battery to free up access to the card and then reboot when replacing the battery. There is a "great" story about Kevin, Fearless Leader, jamming the card between the battery and its socket. More explanation - the card LOOKS accessible but the angles are such and you can withdraw it about halfway and then it rams into the battery edge.

The other minor hassle would be you have to keep another contraption charged. But I will investigate the idea before the next camping trip.

edited to add: Hmm, I wonder if one could do a bit of mild dremelling or filing on the battery edge to make access work????? Without breaching the battery housing???? My 9930 is encased in an Otterbox making a quick look a pain!
    Last edited by F2; 05-12-12 at 08:49 AM.
    05-12-12 08:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD