I have a HD Sport camera, a cell phone and now my PB that all use micro USB for data and charging. All are perfectly fine, no connection issues at all.
    Maybe I just learned to plug them in correctly. Many people seems to have a problem with that. I don't prefer to blame the device when I haven't taken the time to learn to use it properly.
    And as for knowing that is is user damage and then returning it as flawed, well that's just wrong.
    Because the PB's micro USB is AB and square, it allows you to partially insert the plug into port even when it's aligned incorrectly. The only thing that stops you from pushing the connector in further are the pins themselves. So, if someone is not being careful enough and tries to plug the connector in incorrectly and with too much force, you can break the pins. Your HD camera and cell phone probably use the typical micro USB B port. That port is shaped exactly like the connector on the cable so it you try to plug it in wrong, it can't even enter the port, which makes it very difficult to damage the port.

That's not to say that people should not be careful when plugging in any connector, but a lot of people have become complacent with the foolproof way the micro USB B and other connectors are designed.
    01-25-12 01:01 PM
    In my opinion this is why so many PB owners are having difficulty.

Most USB plugs have the universal USB icon (the three 'wires') stamped on one side and something else or nothing stamped on the otherside. I'm certain that the USB icon is always inserted in to a connection facing up.

The cable supplied witha PB follows that pattern for the plug end that connects with your computer BUT for some reason the PB engineers decided to reverse that pattern for the micro USB connection at the PB connector port. The USB icon must face down to connect at the PB end.

As others have already pointed out it is possible to partially insert the micro end with the USB icon facing up. It doesnt take much force to push too hard and break or damage the port. I'm sure this is why my USB micro port is dodgy. it doesnt always connect. I sometimes have to wiggle the plug to make a connection.

Other than that I am very happy with my PB but that was very poor design.
    01-29-12 10:16 AM
    I noticed when I first plugged mine in, that the USB connector fit .. oddly. Like the left hand side of it would always socket before the right hand side. Had that same problem with three different micro-USB cables, but no problem at all with the supplied charger's cord. The supplied charger cord does not fit correctly on any of my other micro-USB things, and I saw no obvious signs of damage to the connector on the PlayBook, so I figured that they had just done some kind of custom thing for the higher powered charger, that remained compatible, even if fitting weird, with standard micro USB.

Long story short -- my USB connection on my PlayBook was dead within 6 days. It was plugged in for most of that time, so it probably only went through a dozen, if that, connections.

They said they would send a Fed Ex guy to come pick it up for an exchange, and I'd need to be at my house between 9 and 5 to give it to them. I don't know about everyone else, but I don't hang out at my house between 9 and 5. :| They said that's how it works. wth.
    03-24-12 05:24 PM
    You missed the whole point. The area where I use my PB with USB cable is fairly dark. I would have to get up, walk few steps, light up the room to see everything clearly. Besides, older people can't see things as well as younger people can (I'm getting there).
    Some of us older folks will put a dot of whiteout on the top of cables near connector so we don't try and force the cable in incorrectly.
    03-24-12 05:37 PM
    Of the ten PlayBooks at the office (we do development upon them), four had USB connector issues within a month. They didn't face especially rough use. This is a not a strong point of engineering on an otherwise quite hardy piece of hardware.
    03-24-12 06:03 PM
    Some of us older folks will put a dot of whiteout on the top of cables near connector so we don't try and force the cable in incorrectly.
    what's whiteout?

EricB1968 likes this.
    03-24-12 07:55 PM
    what's whiteout?

The BACKSPACE key on a computer!!!!
    EricB1968 likes this.
    03-24-12 08:16 PM
    I put a dot of 'Wite-Out' on the top side of the USB cable so I know what side goes up without having to worry

EDIT:

Oh dang somebody beat me to it!
    03-24-12 11:16 PM
    Well, my new PlayBook is on it's way. Can't believe the data connector stopped working, with no signs of any damage to it whatsoever. :|
    03-29-12 03:36 PM
    Fixer my own when it just broke by using an eyeglass flathead to bend the pins back. Didn't want the hassle of sending it back.
    04-01-12 08:59 PM
    I've never had an issue with my PB but a friend's USB died just the other day.

She was never able to get it to work with any USB cable besides the one provided with her PB without a lot of effort, even after ensuring the cable was facing the proper direction. After looking at the port one day I noticed the possible reason; it appears her pin mount is almost perfectly center mounted instead of at the bottom.

Since most PB cables I've tried tend to be looser than other USB cables, it seems her RIM provided cable could connect and not put any undo pressure on the mount. Other cables that tend to fit tighter were not able to compensate without putting a lot of pressure on the mount and after using some other cables at the office for charging and some file transfers something in the pins broke and not not even her PB cable will work.
    09-06-12 10:21 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD