I got used to the micro-USB slot with my Sony PRS650, so I've had no problem with my PB since purchasing it in November. I plug a charger into my PB at the office while listening to my favourite talk radio station and haven't had any connection problems at all.

There is a learning curve with the micro-USB but it just requires that you make a note of differences of each side and knowing which side should be "up" for proper connection.
    01-23-12 07:35 PM
    Have had my PB since April. Charged it with USB at least every other day for almost nine months until I found a rapid charger stand for $13.50 at Staples. Still us the USB cable on occasion. No issues what so ever. I just have to remember it's the on in the middle and it only fits on way, just like the BB. The PB is a solid piece of tech, not given it's fair shake. Get it replaced, you'll be glad you did.
    01-23-12 07:49 PM
    it sure looks like user induced damage. we have 7+ playbooks within my extended family and none has the issue.
    01-23-12 08:07 PM
    I've had a similar problem. My first 16GB PB was dead out of the box and replaced by RIM; the second tablet had a USB port failure after only 10 days (stopped charging), and was again replaced by RIM (they were great about it). I've been using the Rapid Charger on the third tablet, which has had no issues. A bumpy start for sure, but glad I stayed with it. Looking forward to 2.0 soon.
    01-23-12 09:45 PM
    My wife's playbook had a broken usb port as well, one of the kids tried to force the usb cable in upside down. Which bent the pins. I brought it back to bestbuy and they just swapped it on the spot for a new unit.

On my playbook, I haven't had any issues at all.

I agree that the usb port is on the delicate side. You just need to take care when plugging it in. If you force on that port, it will break.
    01-23-12 10:35 PM
    I find micro USB ports are all too small and flimsy on any device. The mini USB was better.

I used the micro USB port for charging just few times. I use docking charger ever since I got one, and everyone should have one like that or the rapid charger.

It takes few mistakes to break the delicate micro USB port.
    01-23-12 10:46 PM
    How can you not know how to put in a Micro USB. Easiest way is to look at the shape of the port and the cable. I also think the reason they put the blackberry logo on the cable was to show it needed to face the top. Why would they want to put the logo in a location facing the back right?

It's true it there may be a chance it may have came defective, and the location is not great. But it may be that you were not careful enough. Best Buy's model were never working because they lost charge overtime. Customers broke the Micro USB port playing around with the Playbook (or maybe the employees and Best Buy broke it on purpose )
    01-24-12 12:20 AM
    How can you not know how to put in a Micro USB. Easiest way is to look at the shape of the port and the cable. I also think the reason they put the blackberry logo on the cable was to show it needed to face the top. Why would they want to put the logo in a location facing the back right?

It's true it there may be a chance it may have came defective, and the location is not great. But it may be that you were not careful enough. Best Buy's model were never working because they lost charge overtime. Customers broke the Micro USB port playing around with the Playbook (or maybe the employees and Best Buy broke it on purpose )
    As pointed out by many people, the logo side is still all black and difficult to see if the area is not well lit. As with other USB connectors, people tend to give it a try and if it doesn't fit just flip it over. Well, the problem is micro USB connector can get damaged easily this way.

Sure you can be extra careful everytime you plug it in, carry flash light just in case. People don't want to bother with things that requires extra attention while you' have to do this at least once everyday.
    01-24-12 06:57 AM
    you need to treat your PB like you treat your women. WITH CARE. you can't just go jammin your usb in and then complain its a bad design.
    FF22, TBone4eva and TinRobot like this.
    01-24-12 07:20 AM
    you need to treat your PB like you treat your women. WITH CARE. you can't just go jammin your usb in and then complain its a bad design.
    I will say micro USB is a bad design, or designed for infrequent use at best, let alone the sole means to charge the device, especially for a large device like PB.

The problem with PB is that it should have come with the rapid charger or the charging dock which uses dedicated power pins for charging. With that the micro USB port will see infrequent use, and much less chance of the delicate port getting damaged.
    01-24-12 07:42 AM

Haha, that there is funny, I don't care who you are...

It seems like the USB connection on most every BlackBerry and the Playbook are the weak link, hardware wise. I wouldn't say it's RIM's fault since they didn't design the USB spec, but simple physics make it a dangerous connection at best. It's extremely easy to lay your PB down with the USB plugged in and, if you aren't very careful, exerting quite a bit of force on the connection point. I'm very cognizant of this fact and notice it's almost impossible to use or move the PB while plugged in without putting pressure on that connection. I'm a big fan of charging pods and rapid chargers that eliminate that point of failure from daily use.
    01-24-12 08:00 AM
    Sure micro usb is a little flimsy and difficult to put in sometimes but it is the industry standard (aside from apple). It's great that I can use the same plug for multiple platforms.
    01-24-12 08:15 AM
    Sure micro usb is a little flimsy and difficult to put in sometimes but it is the industry standard (aside from apple). It's great that I can use the same plug for multiple platforms.
    Not necessarily so. Yes, it is industry standard, but it is a messed up standard. I don't have a single device at home that uses micro USB for charging besides my PB. Others have either mini-USB, regular USB, Apple connector or other proprietary connectors.

Most of my other (older) phones from Samsung, LG, Sony Ericsson, Nokia all have proprietary connectors for data and charging, so the industry standard port doesn't apply to all non-Apple device either. Even the latest Samsung Galaxy 10" tablet comes with proprietary port for data and charging.

It seems RIM is good at sticking to the standard port, but it almost becomes RIM's proprietary port.

That said, I would love to see all devices from all manufacturers use the same for data and charging.
    01-24-12 08:26 AM
    I had similar problem with mini-usb. I purchased PB64 in September 2011. Mini-USB was loose from beginning with poor contact for charger. Then no contact with laptop for BB Desktop. I called Customer Support, explained problem and got excellent response. I received FedEx return box the next day, sent to repair center in Nashville the next. I expected repaired device but received new one 2 days later. BB CS is outstanding. My PB is great, especially with new Bold 9900. All is getting better. 2/17 coming soon.
    Do this: Register device at BB Support site. Call Support. They will talk through to confirm problem. If device prob, they will fix it promptly.
    01-24-12 08:49 AM
    The micro is a standard. If I recall correctly the European Union might have been involved in pushing uniformity so that every year thousands of ac adapters with proprietary plugs did not wind up in landfills. Most of my newer devices all use the micro usb including portable hard drives, jawbone ear pieces, bb phones, my Kindle3 and, yes, the pb.

With that said, I did purchase the rapid charger for the pb and if aligned properly charges excellently. But for months until I got it, I successfully charged using the standard and still do with my Kindle3.
    01-24-12 10:20 AM
    The micro is a standard. If I recall correctly the European Union might have been involved in pushing uniformity so that every year thousands of ac adapters with proprietary plugs did not wind up in landfills. Most of my newer devices all use the micro usb including portable hard drives, jawbone ear pieces, bb phones, my Kindle3 and, yes, the pb.

With that said, I did purchase the rapid charger for the pb and if aligned properly charges excellently. But for months until I got it, I successfully charged using the standard and still do with my Kindle3.
    My Seagate HD uses mini USB, and my Motorola bluetooth headset also uses mini USB connector.

What is the standard? Mini-USB, micro-USB, regular USB? I'm assuming they are all standard, yet they are not physically compatible with each other.
    01-24-12 10:55 AM
    My Sony PRS650 uses micro-USB, my Jabra bluetooth earpiece uses micro-USB, and, of course, my Blackberry Torch and Playbook use the micro-USB ... so I'd say it was pretty widespread.
    01-24-12 12:21 PM
    Reading this thread finally convinced me to buy the rapid charger from Walmart. The charging port on my Style gave way last week despite treating it with love & care so I'm taking no chances with my Playbook...or my new 9930.
    01-24-12 01:25 PM
    Sure you can be extra careful everytime you plug it in, carry flash light just in case. People don't want to bother with things that requires extra attention while you' have to do this at least once everyday.
    I'm a fairly a lazy person, but that final comment you made there is just lazy. You're not willing to take less then 10 seconds to check to make sure your "investment" stays safe? Also the comment about the blackberry logo is dark, is it really so dark that a person can't see it? Can you not feel it? You can flip to the other side and see/feel its not there then you know which side is correct. I on one hand have horrible vision something about -14 (the person was talking in Korean with vocabulary i did not understand) and the american guy said my vision deteriorates faster then normal people. I can still see that, can you justify not being able to see that unless your 65+? I don't need a flashlight to see or feel it either.

My point is a specific port/hardware was used, and how is it going to change. Obviously you and others know that the included port is weak, unlike me. So becareful then.
    01-24-12 11:50 PM
    This is not a PB or BB issue at all , As stated this is a standard. A whole host of devices use this connector include a LOT of smart phones. Yes agree this is weak ppoint of the system as it is going to wear out, especially if you try to use it while plugged in and rest it on your lap while charging. Here are a couple of tips.

1. Buy the rapid charger , or better , the dock so evey time you pick it up it is charged.
    2. Use wirless whenever possible to load media , who cares if it is slow it will do it in the background when you are not even using it.
    3. if you must use it while pluged in, tun it upside down, wont be able to for video call tho . This will prevent damage from resting it on your lap, this is the biggie i have had to train both my wife and son on.
    4. as mentioned put a dot of white out or white nail polish on the front side of the plug so you can easily identify it
    FF22 likes this.
    01-25-12 06:47 AM
    I'm a fairly a lazy person, but that final comment you made there is just lazy. You're not willing to take less then 10 seconds to check to make sure your "investment" stays safe? Also the comment about the blackberry logo is dark, is it really so dark that a person can't see it? Can you not feel it? You can flip to the other side and see/feel its not there then you know which side is correct. I on one hand have horrible vision something about -14 (the person was talking in Korean with vocabulary i did not understand) and the american guy said my vision deteriorates faster then normal people. I can still see that, can you justify not being able to see that unless your 65+? I don't need a flashlight to see or feel it either.

My point is a specific port/hardware was used, and how is it going to change. Obviously you and others know that the included port is weak, unlike me. So becareful then.
    You missed the whole point. The area where I use my PB with USB cable is fairly dark. I would have to get up, walk few steps, light up the room to see everything clearly. Besides, older people can't see things as well as younger people can (I'm getting there).

So 10 second addition would be already inconvenient. If you don't have to do this for most other type of connectors (including mini-USB), why do you have to bother with micro USB?

That said, I do make sure the connector is lined up properly regardless, but I see many others who won't be checking this carefully.

I now rarely use the micro USB connector on PB, which I believe is the way it's intended.
    01-25-12 06:55 AM
    My Seagate HD uses mini USB, and my Motorola bluetooth headset also uses mini USB connector.

What is the standard? Mini-USB, micro-USB, regular USB? I'm assuming they are all standard, yet they are not physically compatible with each other.
    A standard doesn't refer to it's usage, but rather the specifications. In other words, if a device has a micro-USB B port then it has to be compatible with its standard specifications. Thus any micro-USB B cable should fit properly into the port. What type of port that is used for a device is up to the manufacturer.

Micro-USB is more reliable than Mini-USB. The reason the PB's micro-USB port is prone to breaking is because it has the Micro AB design instead of a Micro B port , which is what most micro-USB ports are. The Micro AB port makes the PB USB-OTG compatible, which is why with DingleBerry, you can connect a USB Flash drive to the PB. However, this also means that two different types of cables can be plugged in, Micro-A or Micro-B. This means you can't rely on the old true method of just jamming the cable in because it should only fit one way, without risking damaging the port.
    01-25-12 08:52 AM
    A standard doesn't refer to it's usage, but rather the specifications. In other words, if a device has a micro-USB B port then it has to be compatible with its standard specifications. Thus any micro-USB B cable should fit properly into the port. What type of port that is used for a device is up to the manufacturer.

Micro-USB is more reliable than Mini-USB. The reason the PB's micro-USB port is prone to breaking is because it has the Micro AB Click to view quoted image
    design instead of a Micro B port Click to view quoted image
    , which is what most micro-USB ports are. The Micro AB port makes the PB USB-OTG compatible, which is why with DingleBerry, you can connect a USB Flash drive to the PB. However, this also means that two different types of cables can be plugged in, Micro-A or Micro-BClick to view quoted image
    Click to view quoted image
    . This means you can't rely on the old true method of just jamming the cable in because it should only fit one way, without risking damaging the port.
    Those are interesting details that are quite informative.

The point of "standard" is that some claims PB supporting "standard" micro-USB port lets you share the same cable/charger with other gadgets. It is only true if you happen to have many gadgets that also follow this particular standard. I don't have any gadgets that use micro USB port other than PB. Even my most recent purchase, Nikon D7000, uses mini USB.

So having "standard" port doesn't necessarily benefit you unless you happen to have other devices that uses exactly the same "standard" port, especially when there are multiple physical designs of the same "standard" port (USB).
    01-25-12 11:20 AM
    I have a HD Sport camera, a cell phone and now my PB that all use micro USB for data and charging. All are perfectly fine, no connection issues at all.
    Maybe I just learned to plug them in correctly. Many people seems to have a problem with that. I don't prefer to blame the device when I haven't taken the time to learn to use it properly.
    And as for knowing that is is user damage and then returning it as flawed, well that's just wrong.
    01-25-12 11:39 AM
    I have a HD Sport camera, a cell phone and now my PB that all use micro USB for data and charging. All are perfectly fine, no connection issues at all.
    Maybe I just learned to plug them in correctly. Many people seems to have a problem with that. I don't prefer to blame the device when I haven't taken the time to learn to use it properly.
    And as for knowing that is is user damage and then returning it as flawed, well that's just wrong.
    You might want to check if those devices have micro-B port or AB like PB. It sure does appear that with micro-B it's going to be difficult to damage the port by mistake.
    01-25-12 11:52 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD