Greetings,

Today when I went to switch my PlayBook from Wi-Fi to 4G I got a "Micro-SIM card not detected" icon when I tapped the Wi-Fi icon in the status bar:

Micro-SIM Not Detected-img_00000009.png

It was working the day before. Any idea what would cause this? How can I fix it? I've already tried restarting.

Thanks,
    Shane.
    11-01-13 02:00 AM
    Try removing the sim. Keep it out for 5 min and try again.
    sometimes your sim might be damaged!!!
    11-01-13 03:34 AM
    OK, kept the SIM card out for 5 minutes this time... same problem though.

When I tap the "missing SIM card" symbol, it takes me to Settings > Security > SIM Card. At the top it says "Manage the security settings for your SIM card." I wonder what this could mean?

Thanks,
    Shane.
    11-01-13 05:00 AM
    Browse your settings and check have u changed any setting unintentionally!
    Try the same sim on any other phone/device and see if it works!
    11-01-13 07:34 AM
    I haven't changed anything. I just noticed yesterday when I wanted to change from Wi-Fi to 4G that it wasn't working. My only other device (Style 9670) doesn't take a SIM card.

Is there anything else I could try? I'm desperate.

Thanks,
    Shane.
    11-02-13 12:05 AM
    Did you try a hard reset? You won't lose any data. Resets the hardware.
    How To Perform a Hard Reset on the BlackBerry PlayBook - BerryReview
    11-02-13 09:30 AM
    I can't get the PlayBook to reset. Is there an article on the BlackBerry website that says how to do a hard reset?

Thanks,
    Shane.
    11-02-13 11:13 PM
    yes there is.
    but it is not to difficult to tell you either!
    hold own the up volume, down volume and power button at the same time.
    for 15 seconds (or is it 10?)
    that will do a hard reset.

Ken
    11-05-13 11:41 AM
    Pressing Volume up+Volume down+Power brings up the "Restart/Stand By/Lock/Turn Off" dialog box. As I keep holding the buttons, a "Turning off PlayBook" message appears. Eventually, after still holding the buttons, the PlayBook turns back on.

Is there a way to tell if I've properly done a hard reset, instead of just turning it back on again?

Thanks,
    Shane.
    11-06-13 06:19 AM
    Pressing Volume up+Volume down+Power brings up the "Restart/Stand By/Lock/Turn Off" dialog box. As I keep holding the buttons, a "Turning off PlayBook" message appears. Eventually, after still holding the buttons, the PlayBook turns back on.

Is there a way to tell if I've properly done a hard reset, instead of just turning it back on again?

Thanks,
    Shane.
    This is the link for the support page.
    BlackBerry 4G LTE BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet PC - US
    I didn't see a real how-to for the hard reset. It is generally to push the three buttons in til it restarts. So it looks like you did it. I would probably do the hard reset while the SIM card was out. Then replace it. If it still isn't getting recognized, I'd ask your carrier if you can get a new SIM card to try. Then call BBRY support but they will probably make you do a security wipe (backup and restore to factory conditions).
    11-06-13 09:44 AM
    I called BlackBerry. They said that a hard reset was holding down the power button (by itself) for ten to fifteen seconds. I was confused because a hard reset on my Style is several minutes longer than a soft reset. On the PlayBook, however, a hard reset takes the same amount of time as a simple reboot.

After BlackBerry wasn't able to fix my PlayBook over the phone, they asked me to send it back to them.

Thanks everyone.
    Shane.
    11-08-13 05:12 AM
    I called BlackBerry. They said that a hard reset was holding down the power button (by itself) for ten to fifteen seconds. I was confused because a hard reset on my Style is several minutes longer than a soft reset. On the PlayBook, however, a hard reset takes the same amount of time as a simple reboot.

After BlackBerry wasn't able to fix my PlayBook over the phone, they asked me to send it back to them.

Thanks everyone.
    Shane.
    That's good. Remember to back up your important data before sending it off!
    11-08-13 08:42 AM
    BlackBerry replaced my PlayBook, and Telus replaced my SIM card, but the PlayBook still didn't recognize an inserted SIM card.

Today, however, there was new software update available: "BlackBerry Radio Platform Update" version 2.1.0.1283. I installed it and restarted the device, and the PlayBook now recognizes the SIM card.

I'm glad to have it working now. I noticed that I'm only getting 1 bar signal strength from the Telus 4G LTE network, where before the update I had 5 bars. I'm not sure if its a display problem, or if there is a problem with the radio.

Shane.
    12-08-13 10:51 PM