Where is the best place to buy a micro-hdmi cable for the playbook? and how long is too long?
    04-07-11 01:31 AM
    monoprice.com

I got a 15' one.
    04-07-11 01:34 AM
    Same - monoprice, 15 foot cable for 12 dollars? Got to be kidding me. Got it in the mail today.

Wish my Crackberry accessories would come now
    04-07-11 01:58 AM
    B&H Photo.
    The cable CAN make a difference!!!!
    Mark
    04-07-11 06:25 AM
    B&H Photo.
    Mark
    Not really.
    04-07-11 06:26 AM
    i got 6' from amazon for $5.15 shipped
    04-07-11 06:40 AM
    i got 6' from amazon for $5.15 shipped
    Same here, but now it's showing nine bucks:

Amazon.com: Micra Digital HDMI to Micro-HDMI Cable (6 Feet): Electronics
    04-07-11 06:43 AM
    no way...im sure they have been selling lots of these lately...so it figures
    04-07-11 06:56 AM
    In response to "The cable can make a difference", barrist wrote:

Not really.
    Why would you say that? Do you believe that even though a communications standard involves digital data, it's not possible for the specifications of a cable carrying that data to influence it in any way? All cables, no matter how cheaply made, will carry the data perfectly at all times?
    04-07-11 06:57 AM

Why would you say that? Do you believe that even though a communications standard involves digital data, it's not possible for the specifications of a cable carrying that data to influence it in any way? All cables, no matter how cheaply made, will carry the data perfectly at all times?
    I agree. which is why buying expensive cables @ best buy are total rip off. i always buy cabeles on amazon and all my stuff works and looks great
    04-07-11 07:21 AM
    Amazon - got a 10 foot cable for $4, plus $5 in shipping.

Peter: Do a search. The only difference in cables is the amount of money companies make off of them.
    04-07-11 07:26 AM
    Just ordered a 15' one from monoprice.com
    04-07-11 07:57 AM

Canada, eh?: Monster HDMI Cable Scam
    principal likes this.
    04-07-11 07:57 AM
    i got mine from ebay... 6", 4 dollars shipping and all included.
    04-07-11 08:12 AM
    A blanket statement that cables make a difference is technically correct. You can look at various industries to see that but when it comes to HDMI at monoprice or best buy their probably is zero difference.

I did a job where the manufacturer specs a certain brand cable to be used for their "system." The installer used the correct cable but the wrong brand. Long story short the job was royally f'ed.

And please check out the other thread on this topic. I am not buying a cable until I can figure that question out. If the HDMI in the playbook is 1.3 spec I am just getting a converting plug. I have enough cables laying around. Although I might get a 2' one for traveling.
    Last edited by flyersfan76; 04-07-11 at 08:22 AM.
    04-07-11 08:18 AM
    monoprice.com

I got a 15' one.
    Same - monoprice, 15 foot cable for 12 dollars? Got to be kidding me. Got it in the mail today.

Wish my Crackberry accessories would come now
    Agreed. I have been using monoprice for all of my cabling needs for years.

IIRC, from research I had done, over short distances, the cable may make no difference. But over very long distances, it may. Professional installers usually seem to indicate that at 50 feet or more, you may start to have some HDMI handshaking issues, maybe. So one could assume that at that distance, a cable that is made more sturdily could give you some "extra" distance.

That being said, you can get some damn fine cables at monoprice. I have about a 20 foot run from my TV, along the wall, back to my equipment. So I bought a 30 footer "premium" cable from monoprice. I think it only cost me about $20. I shudder to think how much that same length/grade would be from Monster Cables....I would guess about $200+.....

monoprice is great!

[EDIT] I in fact paid $32 for it (still a greta deal), but it is now $24.77.

For only $21.67 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 35ft 24AWG CL2 Standard Speed HDMI Cable - Black | Premium 24AWG HDMI Standard Speed Male to Male Cables
    Last edited by jlb21; 04-07-11 at 08:36 AM.
    04-07-11 08:31 AM
    B&H Photo.
    Mark
    The cable doesn't make a heck of a difference in case of a digital signal.

HDMI carries a digital signal. You either get the signal (cable works) or you don't. You'll have the same image/audio quality on a 5$ cable as you do on a 250$ cable.

The only difference you'll have between a 5$ cable and a 20$ cable is shielding from interference (which will prevent signal cutoff over LONGER distances). But a 50$ cable is NEVER, justifiable.
    04-07-11 08:34 AM
    Yeah, other than a very cheaply made unshielded, bargain basement cable...there is zero difference between a decent cable you buy off the net for $12 and that $100 Monster HDMI cable from the big box retailer in terms of signal quality.

Monster gives you a very nice warranty...but personally if my Monoprice cable breaks or stops working, I'll just spend the money on a new one and still come out ahead.
    04-07-11 08:43 AM
    Not really.
    I'm not sure where that statement comes from but my Photography experience has proven to me that the Cable DOES make a difference.
    At least when tethering my camera to my laptop I tried cheep cables before and then spent a few more $ and saw a marked improvement. Also it's common knowledge, at least in the photo world, that the less expensive cables are "you get what you pay for"!
    I don�t say �buy monster cables� because I do believe that you�re paying for the marketing there but there are plenty of �no name� manufacturers that produce superb cables�
    Check out cablestogo.com
    Mark
    04-07-11 08:46 AM
    Would there be any difference if I was to buy the 15ft regular HDMI to regular HDMI and get an additional adapter (HDMI to micro-HDMI) compared to a 15ft HDMI to micro HDMI cable. That extra adapter isnt going to cause excessie signal degradation?

I would like this option so I would still be able to plug it into my playbook or laptop while sitting on the couch!
    Last edited by smeagle5; 04-07-11 at 09:00 AM.
    04-07-11 08:58 AM
    I'm not sure where that statement comes from but my Photography experience has proven to me that the Cable DOES make a difference.
    At least when tethering my camera to my laptop I tried cheep cables before and then spent a few more $ and saw a marked improvement. Also it's common knowledge, at least in the photo world, that the less expensive cables are "you get what you pay for"!
    I don’t say “buy monster cables” because I do believe that you’re paying for the marketing there but there are plenty of “no name” manufacturers that produce superb cables…
    Check out cablestogo.com
    Mark
    By tethering your camera to your laptop do you mean a USB or firewire connection? If so, that even makes less sense to me unless you mean speed of transfer of the photo from your camera to the laptop.
    04-07-11 08:59 AM
    By tethering your camera to your laptop do you mean a USB or firewire connection? If so, that even makes less sense to me unless you mean speed of transfer of the photo from your camera to the laptop.
    USB photo transfer. I will admit I'm no expert at all with the HDMI signal. BUT, I do have a marked improvement in a studio photo shoot tethering my CAMERA to a laptop for instant capture, rendering and viewing....
    Mark
    04-07-11 09:09 AM
    another strong vote for monoprice. Great site and being using it for years for buying cables. Also very good for shipping to Canada.
    04-07-11 09:11 AM
    Agreed. I have been using monoprice for all of my cabling needs for years.

IIRC, from research I had done, over short distances, the cable may make no difference. But over very long distances, it may. Professional installers usually seem to indicate that at 50 feet or more, you may start to have some HDMI handshaking issues, maybe. So one could assume that at that distance, a cable that is made more sturdily could give you some "extra" distance.

That being said, you can get some damn fine cables at monoprice. I have about a 20 foot run from my TV, along the wall, back to my equipment. So I bought a 30 footer "premium" cable from monoprice. I think it only cost me about $20. I shudder to think how much that same length/grade would be from Monster Cables....I would guess about $200+.....

monoprice is great!

[EDIT] I in fact paid $32 for it (still a greta deal), but it is now $24.77.

For only $21.67 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 35ft 24AWG CL2 Standard Speed HDMI Cable - Black | Premium 24AWG HDMI Standard Speed Male to Male Cables
    Agreed. I have 2 30' and 1 50' HDMI 22 awg with Ethernet. The 30's have 3-D also. Around $1 per foot.

Not to mention the Cat6 short ones that I have for the rack at the office. Former guy had 3' plus cables for short runs. Messy.

Also looking at doing 1 run that will be HDMI over Cat5e for that garage TV that I need for background noise and sports watching while working.

I usually shy away from internet purchasing but CDW, BH Photo and Monoprice are brick and mortar retailers so I give exception to especially if no one sells what I need locally. I just wish some of my factory contacts made what I need. Some do most don't.
    04-07-11 09:17 AM
    The cable doesn't make a heck of a difference in case of a digital signal.

HDMI carries a digital signal. You either get the signal (cable works) or you don't. You'll have the same image/audio quality on a 5$ cable as you do on a 250$ cable.

The only difference you'll have between a 5$ cable and a 20$ cable is shielding from interference (which will prevent signal cutoff over LONGER distances). But a 50$ cable is NEVER, justifiable.
    You can't justify this cable?

For only $48.16 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 50ft 22AWG CL2 Silver Plated Standard Speed HDMI Cable - Black | Professional 22AWG HDMI Standard Speed Male to Male Cables
    04-07-11 09:32 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD