Michael Lazaridis on Playbook 9-15-2011
    Research In Motion's CEO Discusses Q2 2012 Results - Earnings Call Transcript - Seeking Alpha

"Rather than easing these enhancements out little by little into the market, we are planning to bundle a number of significant features and enhancements into a new major software release for PlayBook that will be demonstrated at DevCon in October and released thereafter. The ability to push out upgrades over the year to PlayBook is a significant advantage, and both existing and new PlayBook users will be able to benefit from this new software release when it is available.

Some of the key enhancements that we expect to be delivered in the PlayBook 2.0 release are: built-in native email, calendar and contacts; robust enterprise features, including BlackBerry Balance to allow management of personal liable devices; the previously announced Android app player; enhanced web browsing; the availability of new consumer apps and social -- the availability of new consumer apps and multimedia and video content, including BlackBerry video store, which will have 10,000 movies and TV shows available on demand to buy or rent as well as new movie releases on the same day as DVD availability; and of course, with the built-in HDMI output, the ability to enjoy videos on your TV without the need to purchase additional system components, as well as further improvements to BlackBerry Bridge."
    09-16-11 09:22 AM
    By the sounds of it then we'll get Tablet OS 2.0 right at the close of DevCon. Good stuff!
    09-16-11 10:10 AM
    can't wait!!
    09-16-11 10:12 AM
    Sucks to have to wait, but I like what it's supposed to include.
    09-16-11 10:14 AM
    With the announced enhancements by Mr. Lazaridis the Playbok will be the best enterprise Tablet in the market with added value for home entertainment... Good news!
    09-16-11 10:19 AM
    I think this news is promising and even though they have under delivered on their promises, I believe that 2.0 will present some good news for all the early adopters of the PB. Lets hope it is packed with TAT apps too
    09-16-11 10:42 AM
    Is this an accurate transcript or quote of his remarks?

If so it represents even more vague assurances than I have read elsewhere.

"demonstrated at DevCon in October and released thereafter"

"Some of the key enhancements that we expect to be delivered in the PlayBook 2.0 release"

"released thereafter" and "we expect"

Oh, my heart is warmed by these promises, if this is an accurate transcript!
    09-16-11 10:48 AM
    on the day it will released,people will still complain...

it sounds good to me...the features look good...

it will surely enrich the experience further..

once tat incorporates some of their amazing UI demos (While releasing some top games for gamers) people will slow down from complaining..some some like to whine even if there is nothing to whine about..
    09-16-11 10:51 AM
    It is pretty accurate (just finished listening to it twice) but I don't see why anyone thinks that means it will be out "at the close of DevCon". There's plenty of wiggle room in what he and Jim said, to allow for a November release.
    09-16-11 10:51 AM
    good news ...very good, but dear Mike dont forget the Greeks on device. Greek keyboard please Mike its not a big deal for you.
    09-16-11 10:52 AM
    Thanks Buzz, sounds like its just about here.
    09-16-11 10:56 AM
    Call me crazy, but I personally enjoy the wait and vagueness. For me, this is an exciting time! What I'm NOT looking forward to is when there are no more os updates to ponder, talk about, discuss and get excited about. WHAT are we going to talk about THEN?!?
    09-16-11 12:28 PM
    Exactly "Some of the key enhancements that we expect to be delivered in the PlayBook 2.0 release"

Really? Expect? you don't know?

If this is not out before November, i'm done with the playbook. I can't wait much longer before giving up and going the ipad route for our sales teams or moving onto an android tablet.

If this drags into november and past black friday in the US sales are not going to happen leaving us with more of the same old same old lack of developer attention.

The only things i'm hoping is that some of the money the seems to burned through in the last quarter was spent on paying devs to build apps for the new release.

Time to **** or get of the pot RIM.
    09-16-11 12:44 PM
    I am still a bit picky at that HDMI output 'no additional components', or they forgot to include the free micro-HDMI cable. And, DNLA still not in evidence.

Still loving my PB, yesterday for the first time someone actually saw me with it and said, Hey, is that a playbook, how do you like it? Made my day...
    09-16-11 01:35 PM
    Another line in the sand....and about as durable and reliable.

Tim
    Scott8586 and Buzz_Dengue like this.
    09-16-11 01:43 PM
  16. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    this is great news!! loving the playbook already and with these major new features out in a month .... fantastic!!!
    09-16-11 01:53 PM
  17. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    2.0 Playbook sounds awesome!! 1 month .... can't wait .... OTA goto love it!!
    09-16-11 02:10 PM
    Is this an accurate transcript or quote of his remarks? ...Oh, my heart is warmed by these promises, if this is an accurate transcript!
    See here for entirety;
    Research In Motion's CEO Discusses Q2 2012 Results - Earnings Call Transcript - Seeking Alpha

09-16-11 02:18 PM
    All I care about is a proper PDF reader. You can take the social stuff and stuff it. You can take the movie store and stuff it. You can take the native email and stuff it. Just let me have my damn PDF bookmarks
    Jake2826 likes this.
    09-16-11 02:33 PM
    I'm really excited about the android app player that supposed to come with v2.0.

I have no regrets buying the PlayBook. The promise of v2.0 just reinforces this.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    09-16-11 02:33 PM
    shame on you if you fool me once, shame on me if you fool me twice. most of us are fools already, i'm not going to be a fool again. he has lost all credibility. just treat the demos as video playbacks or photoshopped screens until you see the actual thing for yourself. and don't even expect a timeline for the actual thing to be avaliable.

the more people try to build up anticipation and hope (yet again), the harder the fall when 2.0 is still not out even by end nov
    mandony likes this.
    09-16-11 03:30 PM
    Very good news but I've promises before and looks like the joke was on me this summer.
    mandony likes this.
    09-16-11 09:55 PM
    Good news can't wait for update.
    09-16-11 10:04 PM
    I am looking forward to OS 2.0 and hope that it is on time and awesome.
    09-16-11 10:19 PM
    There should be lots of dust on my playbook by the time OS 2.0 comes out. I don't believe a word those two assclowns (Ballsack and Laz) say at this point!! Great job RIM (sarcasm)!!!
    mandony likes this.
    09-16-11 10:35 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD