Of late I'm having an unusual problem: even though I've got a solid network connection, one or the other of my two email accounts, or both of them, will not connect. I get a 'can't connect to server, try again later' error message, or, if I try to bring up 'Accounts' I get a 'not connected to a network' error message. I'm having this problem right now ...even though I'm online posting to get this forum.

The only solution I've found is to re-boot, which is a five minute annoyance. Stopping and restarting Messages or Accounts doesn't work. Once I've read-booted, everything might work smoothly for a couple days, then the problem recurs.

This started in my the past week or two. Is anyone else experiencing this? If so, have you found a solution other than re-booting? Thanks. (Other than this problem, my PB's been just fine since OS2.)
    05-30-12 10:36 AM
    Yeah, I had the same problem for a while. Now it just freezes and won't do anything. I hate the mail browser anyway, so it's not such an issue for me.
    05-30-12 10:51 AM
    Yeah, for some reason mine will also freeze. When it freezes in the messages app, it also freezes under "Accounts" in the settings so there must be some correlation.
    05-30-12 11:12 AM
    I haven't had that yet. What type of accounts and have you tried just turning wifi off and on again?
    05-30-12 11:44 AM
    Two Gmail accounts. Yes, I've tried turning wifi off, then back on, and I've even tried logging off my router, then back on. Hasn't helped.

There should be a way to kill and restart an app.
    05-30-12 12:22 PM
    Yup, I've been having the same problem for the past two weeks. Problem seems to be with the accounts function, as I lose access to the accounts when messages app won't function. It'll work for a few hours after a reboot, but I quickly get tired of the lengthy reboots several times a day. So until there's a solution (if!), I've given up on email using the PB and get it from my computers if at home or my trusty ipod on the road.

For this reason alone (since it appears to be getting widespread), I wouldn't recommend anyone buying a PB as a portable computer. Access to email is just too important, at least for me.
    05-31-12 01:01 PM
    What kind of accounts? I would think anyone who's life's blood is email would be using an exchange account.
    05-31-12 01:19 PM
    I'm having the same problem with BOTH gmail and exchange accounts. Seems to have started a couple of weeks ago.
    05-31-12 01:35 PM
    I know this is a crappy work around and stuff, and I'm not affiliated with the program, but Memory Eater in App world overloads the PB memory and crashes the android player(and everything else a long with it) so I don't have to restart the PB all the time.

It's $0.99 and worth every penny for my use. Maybe it would work on the Messages app too?

Just an idea.
    05-31-12 02:11 PM
    I just had occasion to use my calendar and discovered that it, as well as the messages app and accounts function, doesn't work unless I reboot every 2-3 hours. Little discoveries like render my PB less and less useful all the time.
    06-10-12 12:56 PM
    I know this is a crappy work around and stuff, and I'm not affiliated with the program, but Memory Eater in App world overloads the PB memory and crashes the android player(and everything else a long with it) so I don't have to restart the PB all the time.
    Agree 100% this is a great app and a real time saver, and same for me (I'm not affiliated with the program)
    06-10-12 03:50 PM
    This happens to me all the time because I leave the house with the mail app still running, and when I get home I see this. ( see attached photo ) the message will stay even when reconnected to wifi.
    When this happens and your in this screen hit the save button, fixes it for me.
    06-10-12 04:10 PM
    Inexplicably, my message app and calendar have begun working again without constant reboots. At least, it has been going for more than 24 hours straight after several weeks in which I needed to reboot every 2-3 hours in order to access messages. I recall doing nothing to cause the change. Also, I can now back up files on my Win 7 computer again via USB cable, for the first time in several weeks. My PB still doesn't show up on the computer, however, even though it is, obviously, connected (and charging).
    06-12-12 10:20 PM
    Ok, well my pc version of GMAIL hasn't been running as it should ..... so I've assumed that it's at Google's end.

The pc version has been extra slow to load and then loads maybe only outline stuff and no fill in stuff etc.
    06-12-12 10:50 PM
    Attachment 112055

I don't know how you guys put up with this crap, even my slow kindle fire didn't have issues with email.
    06-12-12 11:09 PM
    Attachment 112055

I don't know how you guys put up with this crap, even my slow kindle fire didn't have issues with email.
    Why are you here, anyway? People post here when they are having problems. Those (most) who aren't having problems, generally don't post. Are you telling me that if I went to a Fire forum, there would be absolutely no posts from people who are having problems with their email app?
    06-12-12 11:18 PM
    Vlade's posting was legitimate. Why should we have to put up with a bug that repeatedly crashes such core apps as email and calendar? Would you consider it rude if an Apple user wondered why you put up with a windows OS that prevented you from accessing a core program?
    06-18-12 11:18 AM
    The point is that I'm not having problems with email, so what crap am I putting up with? Just because one person is having problems, doesn't mean that everyone else is also having problems. And just because one Fire owner isn't having problems, doesn't mean that no Fire owners are having problems.
    06-18-12 01:10 PM
    I had some issues with email locking up. Some troubleshooting found that it locks up when I go from one building with a older wireless set up to the new building with a new wireless set up. If I connect at the new building, sure as heck I'll having issues with mail... so I stopped connecting there and bridging instead. Also found that when I left one state for another, GMail senses the major change in ip address (changed from East coast to West coast) and I had to log into Gmail from a computer before it'll start working again on the PB. Lastly, my Yahoo! email every once in a while makes me log in on the computer with that squiggly security alphabet to get it to work on the PB, but that's another story.

I haven't seen the email lose connection with that frequency. I find the PB has generally been pretty reliable in getting my emails except for when I do something different and the accounts needed assurance that it's really me just trying to access my stuff.
    06-18-12 01:21 PM
    The point is that I'm not having problems with email, so what crap am I putting up with? Just because one person is having problems, doesn't mean that everyone else is also having problems. And just because one Fire owner isn't having problems, doesn't mean that no Fire owners are having problems.
    If you have nothing constructive to add, why do you bother posting. People are here looking for solutions to problems they really shouldn't have, like core apps that don't work. We who have such problems aren't interested in your juvenile put downs.
    06-18-12 04:12 PM
    If you have nothing constructive to add, why do you bother posting.
    Interesting that is was going to say the same about Vlade's post. The one you consider legitimate. Strange how that works.

To add my experience:
    I have sideloaded and beta tested. Using the official software I have never had any issue with the WIFI, email or calendar.

It's not something that effects most users so you should look into your settings as the cause. If you have multiple email account types, try deleting all then adding one at a time to see if you can isolate the problem.
    pacoman03 likes this.
    06-18-12 04:35 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I have tried that route. The problem is, if Messages can be so easily derailed (others here have it too, so we can assume other PB owners who don't frequent Crackberry have too), it has a bug that Rim should be looking into. But no word from them here or on other forums I've checked. Especially as native email and calendar were the signature improvements PB's original OS desperately needed. I've not heard of other tablets suffering such critical problems. BTW, wifi works fine.
    06-18-12 06:38 PM
    it has a bug that Rim should be looking into. But no word from them here or on other forums I've checked.
    RIM has support forums and that is the best way to report your bug.

I've not heard of other tablets suffering such critical problems.
    If you think that other platforms are trouble free then you are mistaken. I have an ibrother and I can tell you it is anything but the heavenly experience some think it is.
    06-18-12 07:11 PM
    As of today, even a reboot doesn't restore access to emails or accounts or calendar. Oh well, I can still watch movies on it.
    06-19-12 11:27 AM
    Well, even though you dogged me earlier, there is a possible solution for anyone having problems with email on their PB. You PB actually has two email apps loaded on it, "Messages" and androids "Email". "Email" cannot be accessed from your deasktop, but it can be accessed through Ghost Commander (free in app world). Open Ghost, then applications, then shortcuts, then Email-Main. You can then set up accounts from there. You will get notifications of incoming mail, and, if you set up Ghost right, you can be in the app with a total of two clicks. Email has a couple of advantages over Messages- (1) you can load messages over 30 days old into it, and (2) you're not stuck with using the native file browser when managing attachments- you can use an Android file browser (Ghost Commander being the best) which will see your PB's folder structure to choose attachments.
    06-19-12 01:10 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD