HI All
    I noticed a huge memory leak in Playbook browser. I am not sure if this is new bug on the new OS.
    The problem is after I surfed the internet for a while and if I close down the tabs, the memory is not released back to available memory.
    Normally free memory is around 500MB available with 1 tab open. But after some surfing, available memory will be around 200-300M with only 1 tab opened.

The only way to release the memory is by closing the browser and open it again. Otherwise, the browser will crash the system and it'll auto reboot.

Anyway to solve this?
    01-17-13 08:19 PM
    This is true, same thing happens to mine. It's always been like that, since day 1 (which was launch day for me). For me though the browser crashes, but the system never reboots. QNX is a micro-kernel, it doesn't crash, the program will crash but the OS won't be effected.

The only way i can fix it is by closing then re-opening the browser. Sucks. I'm hoping they fix it one day.
    01-17-13 08:32 PM
    HI All
    I noticed a huge memory leak in Playbook browser. I am not sure if this is new bug on the new OS.
    The problem is after I surfed the internet for a while and if I close down the tabs, the memory is not released back to available memory.
    Normally free memory is around 500MB available with 1 tab open. But after some surfing, available memory will be around 200-300M with only 1 tab opened.

The only way to release the memory is by closing the browser and open it again. Otherwise, the browser will crash the system and it'll auto reboot.

Anyway to solve this?
    Settings/privacy security/pullup tab and clear all

It can take a few seconds for mem to show actual usage depending what website you are at. Open/close Crackberry and watch your mem, few seconds you will see it go up.

I surf Crackberry with javascript off, you can still post but will miss some features and content, you can always switch back and forth and reload the page. Settings/content/enable javascript on/off
    01-17-13 08:35 PM
    I'm having issues with it too. Not sure what's going on. Not with the Browser only though, 2.1.0.1314 seems like a memory hog. So much for the igloo update.
    01-17-13 08:36 PM
    I'm having issues with it too. Not sure what's going on. Not with the Browser only though, 2.1.0.1314 seems like a memory hog. So much for the igloo update.
    Truth be told I have had 30 google pages open and then it hogs mem and slows,lol.

Had two webpages stop responding in 14 months on Playbook,can't say the same for my PC,lol.
    blusls likes this.
    01-17-13 08:58 PM
    Hi Tom
    I think you don't understand.
    Case 1:If I fresh start the browser with one website, available memory is say 460MB.
    Case 2:If I opened multiple tabs for a while and close all tabs except the only one identical webpage in case 1.
    This time, the available memory is drained to 200-300MB. This IS memory leak.

This has nothing to do with cache or history. The browser doesn't delete any of them on exit. I set it to keep 26 days. Plus they are on flash memory not the RAM.

I believe the RAM stat is real time. I can see the instant change in available RAM by closing tabs.

RIM seriously need to fix this bug on BB10 or there'll be lots of complain.

Settings/privacy security/pullup tab and clear all

It can take a few seconds for mem to show actual usage depending what website you are at. Open/close Crackberry and watch your mem, few seconds you will see it go up.

I surf Crackberry with javascript off, you can still post but will miss some features and content, you can always switch back and forth and reload the page. Settings/content/enable javascript on/off
    01-17-13 09:17 PM
    Don't worry the bb10 browser is fast and works perfectly.
    01-17-13 09:31 PM
    That's strange like right now I have 5 tabs open all with various CrackBerry threads loaded (we know how CrackBerry such a light site) and I respond to one thread, then jump to the next and so on and so forth..with no problems. I do this all the time. Now I'd be lying if I said I've never experienced a browser crashing but it really isn't often and I don't consider it a memory bug in the .1314 build at all. Honestly my PlayBook browser does a pretty good job. It does have room for improvement with oh let's say checkerboarding typically on heavy site's such as eh ehm...CrackBerry. But I'd be lying if I said that it crashes whenever I open a second tab.
    01-18-13 01:12 AM
    how do you check your memory in playbook?
    01-18-13 01:43 AM
    how do you check your memory in playbook?
    Swipe down to get to the Gear (upper right), click on Gear/options/settings, Select About, using the Dropdown arrow to pick HARDWARE. Memory is in the list.
    01-18-13 01:54 AM
    Swipe down to get to the Gear (upper right), click on Gear/options/settings, Select About, using the Dropdown arrow to pick HARDWARE. Memory is in the list.
    Got it. Thanks! I hear so many memory leaks from BB. Are there any memory leaks from other phones ??
    01-18-13 02:12 AM
    I have 3 important browser problems, but when I check the memory, it does seem to follow the leak theory, but I have only tested it once.

- spontaneous shut down of browser for no obvious reason (mostly observed with the last update 1314)
    - very slow loading of some sites that for me started within the last few updates, I did not have this problem with the first release of OS2 and the subsequent couple of releases though I know others did
    -extremely slow delayed text input, spell check on and off.

It concerns me as one that wants RIM to succeed that the problems with the OS are not fixed, and in fact that new releases are a step back for some users. RIM support, I will add, is horrible.

Good luck to RIM, but I am not confident, lets hope the slowness in fixing PB issues is because so much effort is going into assuring BB10 success and that PB benefits very, very, very soon.
    01-26-13 08:36 PM