Hi all,

People that are still waiting for Usb OTG for their Playbook, may have an alternative.
    I purchased a Kingston Mobilelite from Amazon to stream the media on an external hard drive to my Ipad and just thought I'd test it on the Playbook. Whilst there is no actual app (naturally!), I used ES File Explorer (a Android app available from Goodreader etc) and it worked flawlessy. The Kingston Mobilelite was about 30 and I already had the hard drive. The only drawback seems to be you cannot browse the internet whilst streaming as you obviously have to connect to the Kingston.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-17-14 12:42 PM
    Hi all,

People that are still waiting for Usb OTG for their Playbook, may have an alternative.
    I purchased a Kingston Mobilelite from Amazon to stream the media on an external hard drive to my Ipad and just thought I'd test it on the Playbook. Whilst there is no actual app (naturally!), I used ES File Explorer (a Android app available from Goodreader etc) and it worked flawlessy. The Kingston Mobilelite was about 30 and I already had the hard drive. The only drawback seems to be you cannot browse the internet whilst streaming as you obviously have to connect to the Kingston.
    Is this all done via BT, wireless or
    01-17-14 12:48 PM
    Sorry, should have been more clear, the Kingston is rechargeable battery wifi hotspot that can power external hdd's - it's also got a SD card slot and of course reads usb memory sticks.
    01-17-14 12:52 PM
    Very interesting! Thanks for the recommendation. I'm looking for something that'd allow me to connect my LaCie external drive to our network (a jerry-rigged NAS server, I guess) so I could stream media on it from any device. Do you think this device would serve my purposes?

For the Kingston, you have to switch from your home wifi network to the wifi hotspot to access the external drive(s)? Might be a bit of a pain, but maybe not. Would be nice to have something seamless (connects on the same network), but NAS's are expensive from what I see, so this may serve as a good workaround.
    01-17-14 01:27 PM
    It creates it's own wifi network so you couldn't attach it to an existing network. It's more of a portable thing about the size of a smart phone. I have attached various un powered usb drives to it without problem. Yes, you do have to switch between your own home network and the device on the Playbook at least. The Ipad app allows it to bridge so you can be connected to both. There is an Android app, I wonder if that was converted to a BAR file it would function. Probably not on the playbook but maybe it might work on a BB10 device?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Tec...bUvbUpU9865076
    01-17-14 03:30 PM
    I'm looking for something that'd allow me to connect my LaCie external drive to our network (a jerry-rigged NAS server, I guess) so I could stream media on it from any device.
    If you simply connected your external drive to your PC and then turned on sharing for the drive in Windows, you should be able to stream media from it with your Playbook using either ES File Explorer, X-Plore File Manager, or Ghost Commander (the last of which is free in app world).
    01-17-14 03:42 PM
    Can you put up a link, my search hasn't given me what u described
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-17-14 04:02 PM
    link to device in an earlier reply above
    01-18-14 02:55 AM
    If you simply connected your external drive to your PC and then turned on sharing for the drive in Windows, you should be able to stream media from it with your Playbook using either ES File Explorer, X-Plore File Manager, or Ghost Commander (the last of which is free in app world).
    To be clear, I'm looking for an option that doesn't require a computer to be turned on. (Ideally I'd like to connect my existing external USB drive to my router somehow -- passthrough from USB ethernet).

Something like this: Turn external hard drives into network storage via USB with Addonics NAS adapter | ZDNet
    01-18-14 04:09 PM
    If your external hdd is in a usb caddy could you remove it and reinstall it in a NAS enclosure

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53...item2c51686d97

I have been looking at doing the same.
    01-18-14 04:34 PM
    I am also own a Kingston mobilelite. I just wanted to tell an other option which is kinda helpful. Since we are unable to send files via bluetooth (except on bridge wich isn't as fast as it should be) if you connect to your blackberry phone and playbook to the mobilelite with the wifi fileshare option you can send files to the playbook from your phone and vice versa. I use ghost commander for this task and the transfer speed is about 800k~1Mb. I just thought to share this info (and sorry for my English)

Posted via CB10
    01-23-14 10:04 AM
    Check out the Kingston WiDrive. There is an android app for it, but an easy workaround is to use the IP address associated with the device by simply typing it into your browsers address bar. It's a great device and comes in different gb. I ordered the 64gb version from Amazon and it connects right away to the device to access movies, music, books, docs..whatever you have stored on it.
    01-23-14 12:16 PM
    I just got a Apotop Wi-Copy for Xmas. Haven't had the chance to put it through its paces, but it has a network jack, so it might plug into your home network (to connect to internet) and still mount a usb flash drive / hdd. Prices are higher than the Kingston solution though. Here's a comparison article.
    3 wireless media hubs: Extra storage for mobile devices - Carry Technology, storage, Iogear, Kingston Technology - Computerworld
    mh1983 likes this.
    01-25-14 08:56 PM