Swap is not a good idea. It would degrade the storage and will make pb run like ****.
    That's right.

Have a look at Apple's latest annuncements. One big part of the OSX 10.9 presentation was compressed memory. It seems to be preferable to use CPU power to compress currently unused data to keep it in your RAM (and decompress it when needed) over writing it to swap space on an ultra fast SSD.
    06-23-13 07:00 AM
    I agree. I believe that BlackBerry should move on and develop a new PlayBook that will work perfectly.

Posted via CB10
    How can BB even think about releasing a new Tablet?
    06-23-13 07:04 AM
    Swap is not a good idea. It would degrade the storage and will make pb run like ****.
    agreed! there is one more thing which can be done. zram or compressed ram. on mips its works like a charm and also on many mtk cpu it works like a charm.
    hope this helps.
    thanks
    -paul
    06-23-13 07:32 AM
    That's right.

Have a look at Apple's latest annuncements. One big part of the OSX 10.9 presentation was compressed memory. It seems to be preferable to use CPU power to compress currently unused data to keep it in your RAM (and decompress it when needed) over writing it to swap space on an ultra fast SSD.
    jinks. i said the same. the tech term is zram. ;-) cheers!
    thanks
    -paul
    anon(3879737) likes this.
    06-23-13 07:33 AM
    Interesting stuff, paul, here's my nmap trace:

Running a web browser on port 443 shows this:

I wonder what that https server is for?
    I wonder what that https server is for?
    so we can understand the mechanism and exploit. run a deep nmap scan you will find many more hidden info. there are a few ports which are open but not visible to ordinary scan. run an xmas scan! -> hint. ;-)

nmap -n -p 1-65535 -T4 -A -v -O -r -sX -sU -Pn -d2 -PS -PU -PA --script "default or (discovery and safe)" ip.ad.dre.ss 2>&1 | tee blackberry-playbook.log
    and/or
    nmap -f -n -p 1-65535 -T4 -A -vv -O -r -sX -sU -sY -Pn -dd -PS -PU -PA -PE -PP -PM -sV --max-parallelism 4 -e usb0 --script "default or (discovery and safe)" ip.ad.dre.ss 2>&1 | tee blackberry-playbook-1.log
    and go for a walk leaving it to run for hours. this will give you so much info you will be bedazzled. ;-)
    hope this helps.
    thanks
    -paul
    06-23-13 07:39 AM
    The philosophy of the OS depends on if you want the OS beefy or lean. The RAM depends on it. You have to consider processing power for the OS.
    06-23-13 09:11 AM
    The philosophy of the OS depends on if you want the OS beefy or lean. The RAM depends on it. You have to consider processing power for the OS.
    i agree! but sometime when you make it too user friendly you end up adding too much junk hence its bloated. RIM forgot KISS (keep it simple sweetheart) policy. thats what makes it kludgy.
    thanks
    -paul
    06-23-13 09:26 AM
    Memory is certainly an issue. Having said that blackberry might release stripped down version of bb10 that would work on Playbook.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 11:08 AM
    Hub is not needed, and Memory is not an issue. Blackberry is a ticking bomb for me to sell my shares. A few more months of nothing on the playbook front, time to kick them to the curb. It will just show the "New" Blackberry is the same old RIM. Full of shiat and the usual delays and let downs. Just like my Z10 has been a "secondary" phone because it has to many issues to be my main phone which is why i bought it for in the first place.
    blueberrymerry likes this.
    06-23-13 11:32 AM
    Maybe...

And that's sound justifiable for not rolling out BB10 into PlayBook...

But why BlackBerry wouldn't officially announce that?... why they chose to keep silence for something that is justifiable?... unless that's not the real reason...

Posted via Z10
    06-23-13 12:15 PM
    Maybe...

And that's sound justifiable for not rolling out BB10 into PlayBook...

But why BlackBerry wouldn't officially announce that?... why they chose to keep silence for something that is justifiable?... unless that's not the real reason...

Posted via Z10
    If BB officially say BB10 cannot run on 1gb of ram it would make a joke of itself.
    06-23-13 12:26 PM
    You know, I'm as cynical as the rest but maybe they are still working it out and trying. But I do wish that they would SAY SOMETHING.
    06-23-13 12:55 PM
    If BB officially say BB10 cannot run on 1gb of ram it would make a joke of itself.
    BB10 can run on 1GB, it just needs trimming and optimization. Which takes a lot of testing and time.

And rim has never been great about communication lol.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 12:58 PM
    How on earth could they take the lithe QNX and turn it into a monster that needs 2 Gb ram ???
    06-23-13 01:22 PM
    How on earth could they take the lithe QNX and turn it into a monster that needs 2 Gb ram ???
    They thought of making a user friendly device which cats and snails can use too.

Main process eating a lot of ram is the hub I think.
    06-23-13 01:38 PM
    I really, really like the feel of operation on the Playbook, but I have certainly been wondering why a thing that is built on a foundation that is supposedly extremely lean and efficient and fits an OS on a single disk, gobbles up almost half of the available Gig, just having booted up, and why, following that, launching something as simple as the calculator app saps 40 Megs.

Even with tons of drivers and services loaded and ticking in the background, I can't fathom why that should need to happen, assuming even the slightest frugality, as far as coding practices go.

I could imagine large rendered bitmaps being kept and cached for everything in- and outside every GUI area, for speed reasons, but a full PlayBook screen worth of data is still only 2400k (...with alpha - 1800k without) -- then again, in that case we shouldn't see frequent scrolling hitches or long periods of no user action feedback (...on an RTOS, no less).

It feels kind of silly, when I run out of memory just opening a couple of browser tabs on my 1GiB Playbook, while my ancient Amiga with 64MiB and a 50MHz CPU can have them in the hundreds (same content) without breaking a sweat, even if the browser on the latter is pre CSS days and its display of (outdated) flash content can be measured in frames per minute.

Worst of all is the user experience, in low memory situations; things just stop working, without notification and sometimes an app just suddenly vanishes mid-session, without so much as a by-your-leave. One should always remember to save one's work often, but come on!

I worry a bit, regarding what will/may come with BB10, because one might think Cascades will replace older, clunky things with new efficient, slick and smooth sprockets, for the system essentials, but the one Cascades app (with the Cascades framework encapsulated within it, as far as I "understand") that I have got: "Pacemaker", will often silently stop loading tracks, if you let even only a single other modestly-sized app compete with it for the memory pool.
    One might argue that it is the app's job to report a failed memory allocation to the user, but that doesn't address the underlying problem.

Bwuh, too much negativity. I guess it's kind of telling that notwithstanding all that, TabletOS2.x on the PlayBook is still the most pleasant user experience to me, compared to iOS and Android, both of which I experienced prior. :P
    Last edited by jojon2se; 06-23-13 at 06:26 PM. Reason: corrected idiom
    06-23-13 06:17 PM
    Maybe the issue with Cascades apps on PBOS is that they're not fully optimized? It's the same as running Qt apps - if you have two Qt apps, you end up loading the same libraries twice because they're encapsulated with the app. Not very efficient from a storage and memory usage point of view.

I like the PBOS UI but it's like having a sleek Porsche exterior on a plywood body. I can't believe they released the "native" SDK without a proper UI toolkit and expected developers to use Adobe AIR or Webworks, so their apps could be as slow as possible.

The best would be to have Qt and Cascades libraries built into the system as in BB10. That would require waiting for BB10 which is (always) coming soon
    Stocklone likes this.
    06-23-13 06:55 PM
    Anyway paul I ran an nmap -sX scan but it seems to be blocked, I get "[host down, received no-response]". Running a -sS scan shows ports 139, 443 and 445 open... I'm very interested in what that HTTPS port is for.
    06-23-13 07:10 PM
    The best would be to have Qt and Cascades libraries built into the system as in BB10. That would require waiting for BB10 which is (always) coming soon
    Heh, I have had Momentics set up for the better part of a year, aiming to learn enough to try duct-taping some simple, half-working personal use, single-purpose calculator together, but have been holding back, waiting for PB Cascades. I guess somebody who knows what the heck he is doing might link it into the application, but I'd rather wait for a proper shared library implementation. (...although I'm assuming that even then, there is some degree of sandboxing, for security and stability reasons.)
    06-23-13 07:18 PM
    Oh not this again! :-)

Maybe I'm just lucky to have witnessed some pretty awesome computer scientists refactor, enhance, recode, optimize their software to may it run faster, smoother, better, more efficiently, but I truly believe people are really over-reacting to this 1 GB thing.

Engineers are smart people. If given the time to do so, you would be amazed what they can pull off and what problems they can solve.

I have no doubt in my mind that they could absolutely optimize BlackBerry 10 to run on the PlayBook ... if instructed to do so and given the time to under-take the effort.

In no way do I feel the task is technically impossible. It's possible that the PlayBook won't be as smooth as a Z10, but then again, my GFs iPhone 4 doesn't run iOS as fast as an iPhone 5 either. If it's a marked improvement over OS 2.1 and the Cascades apps are more performant than the AIR apps we have now, is it a failure?
    Toodeurep likes this.
    06-23-13 08:29 PM
    And if we don't get BB10 for PB by this year, you owe us nay-sayers a drink
    06-23-13 09:11 PM
    ...however the Playbook's Android player has its own sub par browser.
    BB could try to optimize Bb10 by reducing such duplications.

The 1GB RAM should be workable considering that many Android devices have less than 1GB and that Ipad and Ipad2 have 256 and 512 MB Ram. Virtual memory can alleviate the lack of Ram to some extent with some performance hit.
    06-23-13 09:25 PM
    I think they need improve on more areas. (updates, marketing with us carriers, boot-time, more innovation, applications: big name apps) Heins took more time to clean the errors. It just shows they did not expect all these errors.
    Last edited by nabil114; 06-23-13 at 09:42 PM.
    06-23-13 09:31 PM
    I think what Is really interesting is that running android apps on my PlayBook doesn't nearly come close to draining as much ram as a native app does.

That basically says it all right there. Is qnx the problem or BlackBerry developers?

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 09:54 PM
    You would think when performance is the situation they would focus on it more.
    06-23-13 10:09 PM
62 123