The q5 has almost the same specs as the q10, including 2 gb ram. If blackberry did really want to make an entry level bb10 device it seems like they could have come down on the specs a bit. But maybe that's the bare minimum for bb10 to run smoothly

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    06-22-13 10:00 PM
    I too, am curious to see how it works with only 1GB of RAM.
    06-22-13 10:04 PM
    Maybe the developers at BlackBerry are just incompetent?

They could get the early developer builds running on the PlayBook with just 1GB RAM. They can leave out junk like the Hub and BB10 should still run. I wonder what excuses BlackBerry has for keeping silent?
    EchoesFX, rnhld and sexybabe88 like this.
    06-22-13 11:10 PM
    the ram is certainly an issue reguardless of what some people say on here. There are other things too to consider like orientation, screen res and app crossover
    06-22-13 11:13 PM
    The PB's orientation and screen res were already covered in the Dev Alpha builds. It's not rocket science to allow dynamic layout because Qt/QML already do this on Symbian and Meego, so Cascades just builds on top of this. Also, as BB10 runs QNX, they could just drop the memory-hungry services like the Hub and still get BB10 running.

Something else is stopping the official developers from coming out with BB10 for PB and they won't say it. If you've read about OpenWhatsapp and how BBRY threw the developer under a bus *after* Whatsapp officially created an app, you'd see how clueless these Waterloo fools are when it comes to development.

Makes the horde of Symbian engineers continually reinventing the wheel at Nokia look good
    06-22-13 11:47 PM
    Bbm and the Android Player seem to be the big ram hogs. And honestly, I'd be happy to remove both to have bb10 on the PlayBook (assuming bridge bbm comes with groups).
    06-23-13 12:59 AM
    If Windows 7 can run on 5oo megs on a netbook then you'd think qnx could run on a playbook.....

Z10 Rocking 10.1.0.2354!
    06-23-13 01:14 AM

They could get the early developer builds running on the PlayBook with just 1GB RAM. They can leave out junk like the Hub and BB10 should still run. I wonder what excuses BlackBerry has for keeping silent?
    My PlayBook had over 500MB free RAM after booting BB10 and many (not all) games still ran OK on it. Pretty much around what it has when it boots 2.1. The OS can still be scaled down to the tablet's specs to give us some workable form of BB10.

Posted via CB10
    anon(4044683) and valtter like this.
    06-23-13 01:34 AM
    The PB's orientation and screen res were already covered in the Dev Alpha builds. It's not rocket science to allow dynamic layout because Qt/QML already do this on Symbian and Meego, so Cascades just builds on top of this. Also, as BB10 runs QNX, they could just drop the memory-hungry services like the Hub and still get BB10 running.

Something else is stopping the official developers from coming out with BB10 for PB and they won't say it. If you've read about OpenWhatsapp and how BBRY threw the developer under a bus *after* Whatsapp officially created an app, you'd see how clueless these Waterloo fools are when it comes to development.

Makes the horde of Symbian engineers continually reinventing the wheel at Nokia look good
    how about removing too many boatware? and services? run and nmap and you will know.
    thanks
    -paul
    06-23-13 02:29 AM
    If I remember right the PlayBook as well as BB10 can also run Python code, something no other platform does. Could be removed too.
    06-23-13 03:46 AM
    If I remember right the PlayBook as well as BB10 can also run Python code, something no other platform does. Could be removed too.
    Whats Python code? I dont think its anything of that much importance.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    06-23-13 03:53 AM
    Right now, bb10 on PB leaves room for 2-3 running apps (that are of any volume)

To scrid2000's point.-. RAM is gobbled up majorly by Android runtime and os.

Now think about headless apps. The bbry QNX box is such that any newly launched apps (headless) cause a ram cleanup of old.

So, an auto email reply app for example, could cause your game or word document to.force.close.

The big problem is not just ram, but BB10 feels slower on the PB. And fixing all that while maintaining compatibility. Especially when the Android runtime and os has grown for bb10..

Yes, ram is an issue..

Posted via CB10
    Toodeurep likes this.
    06-23-13 03:56 AM
    Interesting stuff, paul, here's my nmap trace:

Nmap scan report for 192.168.1.133
    Host is up (0.0041s latency).
    Not shown: 997 closed ports
    PORT STATE SERVICE
    139/tcp open netbios-ssn
    443/tcp open https
    445/tcp open microsoft-ds
    Running a web browser on port 443 shows this:
    404 Not Found
    index.html:
    This item has not been found
    localhost:443
    I wonder what that https server is for?
    06-23-13 04:35 AM
    Maybe if they delete a lot of gestures it might work

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone using CB10
    06-23-13 04:36 AM
    Maybe if they delete a lot of gestures it might work

Gestures are not much of a problem.
    Bulk codes in background is.
    06-23-13 04:53 AM

True, may be the over hyped super duper QNX is damn resource hungry. Ipad2 and most of the android tabs run great with just 1 GB RAM. What does BB 10, better than the other OS requiring more and more RAM?
    blueberrymerry likes this.
    06-23-13 05:20 AM
    Right now, bb10 on PB leaves room for 2-3 running apps (that are of any volume)

To scrid2000's point.-. RAM is gobbled up majorly by Android runtime and os.

Now think about headless apps. The bbry QNX box is such that any newly launched apps (headless) cause a ram cleanup of old.

So, an auto email reply app for example, could cause your game or word document to.force.close.

The big problem is not just ram, but BB10 feels slower on the PB. And fixing all that while maintaining compatibility. Especially when the Android runtime and os has grown for bb10..

Yes, ram is an issue..

Posted via CB10
    May be QNX is the problem then eating too much of RAM. Or the developers at Waterloo who has no clue to optimise the OS.
    06-23-13 06:02 AM
    May be QNX is the problem then eating too much of RAM. Or the developers at Waterloo who has no clue to optimise the OS.
    Before pb is and bb10. Qnx was known for great resource management. And look what BB do to it now.:banghead:
    howarmat likes this.
    06-23-13 06:23 AM
    Hi all,

Think about the BB10 process:

First step was getting it feature complete and stable enough for public release.
    Second step (10.1) was bugfixes, adjustments, few extra features etc.
    Third step (10.2) is optimization, Android 4.2 runtime and of course adjustments and bugfixes.

I know from a BlackBerry source that memory optimization is the key thing for having OS 10.2 released for PlayBook. I also heard about some drivers not currently in OS 10 (camera and WiFi as far as I remember). The browser should be one of the biggest memory consuming apps on the device.

Another CB users had gathered some statements from BlackBerry and their commitment for OS 10 and I have full faith in BlackBerry to deliver as promised. I would expect it to be Q3 or Q4 along or shortly after the 10.2 release.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...aybook-808273/

I have 3 PlayBooks around and I love the hardware and the physical size. Just let's have BB 10 on it and the device is fantastic.
    06-23-13 06:42 AM
    They can also created swap space with 1gb to make it feel like 2gb

06-23-13 06:44 AM
    I agree. I believe that BlackBerry should move on and develop a new PlayBook that will work perfectly.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-13 06:48 AM
    I forgot about the Android runtime. That one could indeed be the thing that's holding back BB10, especially if they want to release the Jelly Bean runtime with BB10 for PB. Android devices can run with 1GB RAM because they don't have another OS running alongside, whereas BB10 runs both QNX and Android.

Anyway some of BBRY's excuses look just like that... excuses. They can't get BB10 running on PB because they spent so much time trying to get it running on the Z10 and Q10, and those devices ended up late. It's funny if they couldn't get drivers working on BB10 for PB when the PB itself was the testbed for BB10 development!

Any Nokia users here will see some eerie similarities That story didn't end well either, for Symbian and Meego users, developers and employees.
    06-23-13 06:49 AM
    I forgot about the Android runtime. That one could indeed be the thing that's holding back BB10, especially if they want to release the Jelly Bean runtime with BB10 for PB. Android devices can run with 1GB RAM because they don't have another OS running alongside, whereas BB10 runs both QNX and Android.

Anyway some of BBRY's excuses look just like that... excuses. They can't get BB10 running on PB because they spent so much time trying to get it running on the Z10 and Q10, and those devices ended up late. It's funny if they couldn't get drivers working on BB10 for PB when the PB itself was the testbed for BB10 development!

Any Nokia users here will see some eerie similarities
    Jb4.2.2 runs great on 512 mb too.
    And according to some rumors 5.0 aka key lime pi will too support 512 mb ram.
    06-23-13 06:51 AM
    They can also created swap space with 1gb to make it feel like 2gb

Swap is not a good idea. It would degrade the storage and will make pb run like ****.
    anon(3879737) likes this.
    06-23-13 06:53 AM
    Whats Python code? I dont think its anything of that much importance.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    Keeping it short: Python is an interpreted programming language, i.e., to run its code you need an interpreter. That's the same concept as with JavaScript. Looking at the web browser battle over the best JavaScript benchmark results (speed as well as resource consumption), you can imagine that an interpreter is not necessarily a simple piece of software.

Further reading:
    Python (programming language) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by sbndrf; 06-23-13 at 06:55 AM. Reason: forgot to quote
    Dr_Acula likes this.
    06-23-13 06:54 AM
62 123