Searched forums, I need to clear about 20 feet minimum - what are the specs I need for the right HDMI cable to buy and where to buy?
    10-21-12 04:57 PM
    I bought mine from amazon for 13�.

It has 5 metters(how many feet?).

You just need to search for "micro hdmi to hdmi" cable.

Easy

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    esk369 likes this.
    10-21-12 05:05 PM
    Thanks @PedroBorgas, I do tend to over-complicate things! I had read about all these variations of HDMI cables on Wikipedia, and I was wondering if anyone had specifics on what the minimum spec would be to run 20-30 feet. OR, I'd love some of advice on running dual CAT 5 with the proper terminations (and instructions? and where to source?) as mentioned here at Sound&Vision. It seems not all HDMI cables are created equal!
    10-21-12 05:19 PM
    The higher quality cable, the more distance you can get. The actual spec is something like 15ft without degraded quality, but in practice I've used longer. The CAT5 solutions are very finicky and should only be used (imo) if you're doing long runs though a house or office where maximum quality is not necessary and the cabling is already available.
    10-21-12 05:24 PM
    I've gone about 30ft, after 30ft I needed a repeater.
    10-21-12 05:29 PM
    The higher quality cable, the more distance you can get
    Thanks @mikeo007 Do you have a recommendation between Category 1 vs Category 2? I'm trying to find best bang for buck for the Playbook -> LG 47LV5400 HD TV. Looking for the minimum requirement.
    10-21-12 05:39 PM
    Searched forums, I need to clear about 20 feet minimum - what are the specs I need for the right HDMI cable to buy and where to buy?
    Check monoprice.com. I bought my 15' Micro HDMI for $7 plus shippng.
    chaosdivine likes this.
    10-21-12 05:43 PM
    You cannot get a fully compliant cable any longer than 45 feet, at least I have never seen one available in normal stores. Now people go, "But Berry_Intel I have a 50 foot, blah, blah..." Yes you can get 50 foot cables everywhere in fact you can get cables even longer, but look at the manufacturer's specifications and you'll see it hasn't passed the authorized testing processes. Which is fine the cable will still probably work, maybe some issues, but nothing that should rendered it unusable.

Long story short:

Length: Get the Shortest HDMI cable you need and you will not run into issues, particularly if you get one with current specifications. If you want to make an investment into a good quality cable that can be used in various situations I always recommend just getting 25 feet.

Category: Right now for your PlayBook it will not matter, Category 2 only provides some higher bandwidths, with higher color bit depths, and higher refresh rates, none of which your PlayBook will utilize. It is overkill.] However if you would like to invest in a nice HDMI cable to be used with other things, if you have other micro HDMI [not mini HDMI as people get them confused they are different!] then why not go for the Cat.2.

HDMI Rev./"Version": With HDMI 2.0 around the corner, just go for whatever you see on the market it'll probably be a 1.4/1.4a, or a 1.3/1.3a/b/c/d. It really does not matter. Even if you waited for a HDMI 2.0 cable it will do nothing for using it with your PlayBook.

Any other questions feel free to ask.
    jjsararas and Herve5 like this.
    10-21-12 05:58 PM
    How can I make HDMI travel farther?

Its a bit more expensive but what about a short cable and use the remote capabilities, either the BB bluetooth keyboard, or a BB phone, or just a bluetooth mouse and keyboard?
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    10-21-12 06:04 PM
    If you have a bb phone can use bridge to control the pb thus reducing your cable length to about a metre.
    10-21-12 06:12 PM
    Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks @Barry_Intelligence et al!
    10-21-12 06:12 PM
    I got a short little cable 1.5 m from The Source CC for $9.99. It is fairly useless by itself, but I had a couple of HDMI joiners and connected it to a high quality 3m cable. Works great! I also have a 20 footer but have not tried it with the joiner/playbook.

This would probably be cheaper than a 25ft micro HDMI ( oddball cable ).
    10-21-12 06:27 PM
    You can get microHDMI to HDMI adapters at Monoprice for about $4.00.
    Then connect to any length standard HDMI cable.
    Maximum Length for Playbook HDMI cable?-77031.jpg
    6" version.
    Maximum Length for Playbook HDMI cable?-76031.jpg
    Last edited by Angus_CB; 10-22-12 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Spelling
    FF22 and BlazorBoy like this.
    10-22-12 04:49 AM
    I'm running the 5 foot Blackberry HDMI cable with 2 12 foot HDMI cables with mating adapters.

This way, I can take the "shorty" cable on the road for use in the Hotel room to their tv. and when I am home, the Media Playbook plugs into the "HDMI chain" with no issues. Just make sure you don't skimp on the cable and the adapters and you will get the picture you want on your TV/Display.

REMEMBER: No all cables are created equally.

C
    BlazorBoy likes this.
    10-22-12 09:49 AM
    I'm running the 5 foot Blackberry HDMI cable with 2 12 foot HDMI cables with mating adapters.

This way, I can take the "shorty" cable on the road for use in the Hotel room to their tv. and when I am home, the Media Playbook plugs into the "HDMI chain" with no issues. Just make sure you don't skimp on the cable and the adapters and you will get the picture you want on your TV/Display.

REMEMBER: No all cables are created equally.

C
    This probably a lot safer, if someone trips over the cable it will come apart at the joins rather than the TV or PlayBook going flying
    pickles#WP likes this.
    10-22-12 09:51 AM

REMEMBER: Not all cables are created equally.

C
    10-22-12 09:53 AM
    Just a thought, but you could make the length of cable irrelevant and either use a blackberry phone with bridge or blackberry keyboard. I would image than many bluetooth input devices would work. I personally use either keyboard or phone with bridge and a 6 foot hdmi cable.
    10-22-12 09:57 AM
    There seems to be some conflicting information about this subject I read an online article maybe last week I will try to remember where and post about hdmi cables and the author of the article basically said that the cheaper cables work as good as the more expensive ones I bought a 12ft cable off Amazon for about 13usd staples down the block from me wanted over 50usd for a 10ft cable.
    The one from Amazon is a no name brand and it works great connections are tight on both ends picture quality is great and works with my pb and t300 so while conventional wisdom usually says you get what you pay for you m8ght save a few bucks with a little research.
    Btw as I said I will try to find the piece and post.
    10-22-12 10:15 AM
    Why all HDMI cables are the same | Crave - CNET
    That wasn't very hard to find and just for the record a quich google search will show that a lot of people are of the same opinion (Sorce cnet )
    So what I'm getting from this is the difference between a 50 dollar cable and a 13 dollar cable is 37 dollars n9t to be to much of a wise guy.:-)
    DC506 likes this.
    10-22-12 10:20 AM
    Yes, that basically sums up the difference for short length cables. For long runs though, a higher quality cable is recommended. The article even states that at the end. There is also the issue of shielding. You don't run the cables in a vacuum, so the better the shielding, the less likelyhood of there being interference.

That article does a good job of basically saying that there's almost no difference between a $75 monster 6ft cable and a $5 mono price 6ft cable.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-22-12 10:26 AM
    Hey jjsararas, this store is in my neighborhood...give them a shot. Endless Cables - Cables, Adapters & More!
    10-22-12 10:29 AM
    I have a 25 ft cable connected to my TV. Was the cheapest cable I could find on ebay at the time. Haven't had any issues with it.
    10-22-12 01:45 PM
    Why all HDMI cables are the same | Crave - CNET
    That wasn't very hard to find and just for the record a quich google search will show that a lot of people are of the same opinion (Sorce cnet )
    So what I'm getting from this is the difference between a 50 dollar cable and a 13 dollar cable is 37 dollars n9t to be to much of a wise guy.:-)
    Thanks for the link, i always thought in the same direction but couldnt really explain it to others and i only use 1-4 eur cables and never had a problem except with one, that had loose contacts in the plug....
    10-22-12 02:13 PM
    I used to be in the computer business so I know what the profit is on cables.
    Cables and adapters are two items that have a very high profit margin. I used to mark them up 400% and was still a lot cheaper than the big box stores.
    Remember though, 400% sounds high but you have to sell a lot of $8.00 cables to pay the rent.
    10-22-12 03:19 PM
    I think it has to do with the offer and public that they're pointed.

Those micro HDMI(at least here in Portugal) are only sold for the Galaxy's family, so the target public "have some money".

Besides, you can only find those cables at the big stores and they play the monopoly well... I can say that a 1,5m cable costed 30�; My 5m cable costed 13� and i have used it well and so far no complaints.

And, if you risk to buy a big cable for little costs, whats the loss,right?

You guys have more access to ebay and amazon than we have here, so you should be good to go

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    10-23-12 03:45 PM
27 12