Marvell just annonced their new processor and it sounds amazing. With RIM being a major user of their products, I cant help but get excited. could this be what powers the BB tablet and other BB's in the future?

Read about it here: Marvell Raises Technology Bar Again with World's First 1.5 GHz Tri-Core Processor Delivering Dual Stream 1080p 3D Video for Smartphones and Tablets - Yahoo! Finance
    Last edited by grreyes24; 09-23-10 at 11:28 AM.
    09-23-10 10:51 AM
    I wish! That would be amazing.
    09-23-10 11:06 AM
    It does say that it supports RIM OS... ;-)

"ARMADA 628 supports RIM OS, Android™, Linux, Windows Mobile, and full Adobe Flash."

From the Engadget Article: Marvell unveils 1.5GHz triple-core application processor, all current smartphones look on in envy -- Engadget
    09-23-10 11:32 AM
    Yeah but RIM OS on a tablet would be a joke. However it will be interesting to see if the Blackberry tablet is the flagship device for Marvell's new processor. They've been a long time RIM supplier. Actually getting excited about Devcon.
    09-23-10 12:42 PM
    if by future you mean like 2014, then yes.
    09-23-10 12:55 PM
    This processor does look awesome. But I am not getting too excited about it. I won't say "never" but in the near future there is no way RIM will use this thing.

Its using 2 1.5 ghz cores with the 600mhz core that RIM currently puts on its FLAGSHIP bb's lol.

So if I do the math right, we break the 1 ghz barrier in 2011, 1.5 ghz in 2012, 2013 and 2014 maybe we get to the dual core concept... then FINALLY in 2015 we will see the Armada 628 running on a BB.

It is fun to think about what would happen to the smart phone world if RIM dropped that bad boy in a phone right now... Aaple and Android would be running for the hills!

I am guessing a BOLD 9000 size phone would have room for it too... (hint RIM hint). I'd pay $400 for the thing with a 2 yr contract in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by Stonedicator; 09-23-10 at 03:01 PM.
    09-23-10 02:59 PM
    Yeah, I would definitely be willing to pay more for a device using this. I think a lot of people would be willing to pay top of the line, when they know that’s what they are getting. I see your timeline, but I’m a little more optimistic. I think RIM is going to up their game and push hard to bring something like this processor to their tablets and phones in 2011.
    09-23-10 04:00 PM
    The Armada 628 is absolutely awesome. And it's actually perfect for smartphones. ESPECIALLY for BlackBerry's!! Everyone knows how power management(battery life) is a big deal to RIM and although the 628 clocks in a 1.5GHz, it utilizes the 624MHz core for routine tasks, standby, etc and gets extra power when needed from the other two 1.5GHz cores. The instruction set is ARM7 which is not anything RIM isn't used to. Considering RIM & Marvell's rather close relationship, I think it's fair() to say we'll see a BlackBerry with this SoC inside... ))

I'm not even going to mention how this blows the Snapdragon & hummingbird processors out of the water. 200 million triangles per sec says it all.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    09-23-10 05:48 PM
    whennnnnn? Cx it just feels like we are always waiting next quarter or later in the year we just feel like we are never going get there . It always feels like just a while longer or soon.
    09-23-10 06:16 PM
    whennnnnn? Cx it just feels like we are always waiting next quarter or later in the year we just feel like we are never going get there . It always feels like just a while longer or soon.
    I know. Admittedly RIM has been dragging their feet. But believe me, they know what they must do to compete in this industry. There's a quote from RIM's earnings/shareholder meeting in which the first question asked was about newer better hardware. His response will give you some clue as to what direction RIM's heading---> http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/bla...62/index9.html <--- post 162

There will also be good info coming out of DevCon. ))
    09-23-10 06:32 PM
    I *think* this is what CX was referring to: "I think you're going to see our capacity to go beyond what could have been expected by anyone and yet still address the issues of cost effectiveness, security, efficiency, and desired form factors."

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-10 06:46 PM
    it all sounds good CX but i have been waiting so longggggg! the question is when are we actually say WOW!
    09-23-10 07:13 PM
    i still cant figure out which direction there going i read the post #162 and that was confusing any one figure it out?
    09-23-10 07:20 PM
    It talking about why RIM didn't go with faster processors earier in the game. It would have been a tradeoff, performance or battery life. At least that's what I interpreted.

09-23-10 11:28 PM
    I think you nailed it and with this new proc, it will only use the power it needs.... saving battery life. go RIM!
    09-23-10 11:32 PM
    Did the hair on anyone else's neck stand up when you read about this new processor, and imagine slapping it in a BB?

Damn... I'm addicted.
    09-24-10 10:29 AM
    The Armada 628 is absolutely awesome. And it's actually perfect for smartphones. ESPECIALLY for BlackBerry's!! Everyone knows how power management(battery life) is a big deal to RIM and although the 628 clocks in a 1.5GHz, it utilizes the 624MHz core for routine tasks, standby, etc and gets extra power when needed from the other two 1.5GHz cores. The instruction set is ARM7 which is not anything RIM isn't used to. Considering RIM & Marvell's rather close relationship, I think it's fair() to say we'll see a BlackBerry with this SoC inside... ))

I'm not even going to mention how this blows the Snapdragon & hummingbird processors out of the water. 200 million triangles per sec says it all.
    If RIM uses this, I hope OS6 isn't sitting on top of it. It's like giving my grandmother a Ferrari to drive.
    09-24-10 02:48 PM
    **SPAM COMMENT DELETED**
    don't expect to be on here much longer.....

*edit* andddd he's gone, that took 30 seconds haha
    01-26-11 03:54 PM
    I don't see much significance to who is making the processor; RIM has had access to faster cpu's and hasn't used them by choice. They could have put something faster in the torch but didn't; they opted to use up old inventory first (which has a lot to do with rim's failure to produce anything competitive).

Dual core, tri core, single core 1.2 gig.... They haven't even tried. Yea yea yea I know about "September". I also feel and hear the negative feedback that is generating.

01-26-11 04:12 PM
    don't expect to be on here much longer.....

*edit* andddd he's gone, that took 30 seconds haha
    Of course not. Anywho, I didn't know you were going to school here in Charlotte... How do you like?
    01-26-11 04:17 PM
    Of course not. Anywho, I didn't know you were going to school here in Charlotte... How do you like?
    UNCC is awesome. I lived in Charlotte until i was 8, then moved to Lincoln County area in 1999. Dad has always worked in Charlotte (KPMG for 17 years, Time Warner Cable HQ now) and I liked the area and mom went to UNCC so i checked it out and its a nice college. I commute everyday, however, but i'm thinking i'll never move away from Charlotte haha.
    01-26-11 04:36 PM
    Marvel is not really known for the processor technology. lets hope rim is not riding a lame horse here.
    01-26-11 04:41 PM
    I know. Admittedly RIM has been dragging their feet. But believe me, they know what they must do to compete in this industry. There's a quote from RIM's earnings/shareholder meeting in which the first question asked was about newer better hardware. His response will give you some clue as to what direction RIM's heading---> http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/bla...62/index9.html <--- post 162

There will also be good info coming out of DevCon. ))
    From post 162

"The core BlackBerry aspects are well defended and looked after and protected. But it's in a space where people have mushrooming expectations of what these things can do. And that's the essence of the paradox. And all I can say is it won't take long before you see how we've done that. And I think Torch and BlackBerry 6 is really an excellent step forward"

I don't know..I was a staunch RIM defender for a long time..and I still own the Torch..but the fact they stuck such a crappy processor in it really bothered me. And after using it..and now having used other products..I can assure you if they had just ponied up and spent some more money and put better hardware into that phone..I don't think I wouldve strayed.

And if the Torch and Blackberry 6 was "really an excellent step forward" in his eyes..i'm really leary about what his idea of "resolving the paradox" really is. And from the leaks we've seen..nothing is still overly impressive (especially for September).
    01-26-11 05:21 PM
    I don't see much significance to who is making the processor; RIM has had access to faster cpu's and hasn't used them by choice. They could have put something faster in the torch but didn't; they opted to use up old inventory first (which has a lot to do with rim's failure to produce anything competitive).

Dual core, tri core, single core 1.2 gig.... They haven't even tried. Yea yea yea I know about "September". I also feel and hear the negative feedback that is generating.

Processors in the smartphone world are not the same as Processors in the PC world

RIM's CDMA radio Stack is built based on 1 processor/radio technology, their GSM is built on another,
    The crappy thing for RIM was they banked with Marvell which was the last of the main SoC makers to produce a 1Ghz Chip.
    Seeing Marvell launch this 3 core chip very much has me thinking Marvell was pulling RIM along saying don't leave don't leave look what we have, and they were late to the table bringing it.

Fortunately this chip does make up for being a little late to the game IF RIM can put it into hardware soon and get it on the market.
    01-26-11 10:21 PM

People are under the impression that the Torch's processor is old technology because it has the same clock speed as what's in the 2-year-old Bold. Fact is it's an updated processor that was released in 2010 that just happens to run at 624 mhz. It could run at a max of 1 ghz, but the battery life would be unacceptable for what they can stuff in this form factor. In fact the Torch is the only device that uses it. So it's not 1.2 ghz ... it certainly isn't 'old stock', and it works just fine. Clock speed isn't everything.

Bold 9000: Marvell PXA930, released in 2008.
    Torch 9800: Marvell PXA940, released in 2010.
    Source: PDAdb.net
    01-27-11 06:49 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD