Are there marine charts that can be downloaded to BlackBerry and integrated with GPS so it can be navigation. A marine guide book writer showed me how this worked on his ipad so was wondering if something similar could be done on the Playbook.
    06-08-13 03:25 PM
    I looked up "Marine" in appworld and found some items but I don't do "water" so don't know how good they are or how accurate the reviews are.

I think I recall one member has mentioned an app.
    Bowen1526 likes this.
    06-08-13 04:35 PM
    It was probably me that posted.

The app is, I think, called Nautical Charts in BB world. There is separate one for each navigation area.

Nautical Charts Brings Offline Marine Charts to the PlayBook - BerryReview
    Nautical Charts HD for Playbook | Nautical Charts app

I have used this app and my Playbook on our boat and it worked well with seamless transfer from one chart to the next. The Playbook gPS is not that great, but it works OK outdoors.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-08-13 06:16 PM
    As a new user, I had virtually given up on finding this sort of app, and had not thought of the word "Nautical" in the search.

Can I just check that if I pay for the app for the Irish Sea, where I sail, that the cost covers all the charts for that area as well as the actual app?

Also, if the PB does stop receiving GPS when the screen hibernates, is therwe any way around this yet? It seems to me to be pretty useless to have a navigation program that doesn't keep up, so how do people actually use this in real life?

I'm still stuck with a simple GPS receiver and paper charts, and this would be really useful.
    06-09-13 06:34 PM
    Billaboard - you can write the support address and see if they answer your questions.
    06-09-13 07:37 PM
    Although maybe not as intuitive try GEOrendr. From top menu click 'online' and search nautical. I have found all sorts of Maps with this app. When it loads click 'Vicinity' to turn on GPS to give map of current vicinity. I haven't tested the GPS functionality though.
    06-10-13 02:42 AM
    There is an App called Marine Navigator. It is an Android port, but it works. You can find it on BlackBerry World.
    06-10-13 11:38 AM
    I used the Nautical Charts app for the first time on the weekend. It is only a backup for me and would not rely on it as a primary source.
    It is a really good app. The screen did not hibernate while I was using it as you can have it auto follow you. I had some trouble initially locking on the GPS but once I rebooted it locked and stayed on. It has some really cool features and is well worth the cost.
    06-10-13 11:47 AM
    I used the Nautical Charts app for the first time on the weekend. It is only a backup for me and would not rely on it as a primary source.
    It is a really good app. The screen did not hibernate while I was using it as you can have it auto follow you. I had some trouble initially locking on the GPS but once I rebooted it locked and stayed on. It has some really cool features and is well worth the cost.
    I have not used it yet this year, but it worked well last season. There have been several updates since them but not sure what they were. Re the question from Billboard - The included charts should be described on Blackberry world. In fact, you chose the charts for your area, and the app comes with them - Price is for whole package.
    06-28-13 12:37 PM
    I used Nautical Charts for first time this season today. Last year, when I used it, it never hibernated. But today it did or at least screen went blank frequently. I have PB set to Showcase, and I had auto-follow on. Can't think what could be different this year except app has been updated several times.
    07-06-13 08:48 PM
    I used Nautical Charts for first time this season today. Last year, when I used it, it never hibernated. But today it did or at least screen went blank frequently. I have PB set to Showcase, and I had auto-follow on. Can't think what could be different this year except app has been updated several times.
    Thanks for this and the previous reply. I haven't yet done anything because of all the doubts about the future of the PB and the other provisos, but these updates are really useful.
    07-07-13 09:50 AM
    I looked up "Marine" in appworld and found some items but I don't do "water" so don't know how good they are or how accurate the reviews are.

I think I recall one member has mentioned an app.
    Just a quick question F(version to be announced) because I couldn't resist!

Why were you looking in app world for marine apps when you "don't do water"?

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 01:15 PM
    Just a quick question F(version to be announced) because I couldn't resist!

Why were you looking in app world for marine apps when you "don't do water"?

Posted via CB10
    I was just trying to be belpful and quickly looked at ??World.
    07-07-13 01:38 PM
    I was just trying to be belpful and quickly looked at ??World.
    Well why didn't you just ask me? I don't do water either!
    07-07-13 01:42 PM
    Well why didn't you just ask me? I don't do water either!
    I understand. You don't want to accidentally take a chance on diluting your brandy.
    07-07-13 03:03 PM
    i think the gps chipset supports NMEA, wait for me to completely install a new OS. and then you can hook up with the bird in the sky provided on are in the gps footprint of the bird in the sky. (footprint = coverage area, bird in the sky = satellite)
    hope this helps!
    thanks!
    -paul
    07-08-13 06:57 AM
    i think the gps chipset supports NMEA, wait for me to completely install a new OS. and then you can hook up with the bird in the sky provided on are in the gps footprint of the bird in the sky. (footprint = coverage area, bird in the sky = satellite)
    hope this helps!
    thanks!
    -paul
    Perfect thanks! Can't wait to find out where that bird is?
    07-08-13 07:59 AM
    Perfect thanks! Can't wait to find out where that bird is?
    i will help you with that. there are some 13-14 birds in the sky in 2008 now i am not sure. and how many for spy and hidden i have no idea. ask nsa and your govt agencies for a clear count. ;-)
    i will let the bird footprint soon. its under GPL so i am not disclosing any condifential information.
    thanks!
    -paul
    07-08-13 08:05 AM
    i will help you with that. there are some 13-14 birds in the sky in 2008 now i am not sure. and how many for spy and hidden i have no idea. ask nsa and your govt agencies for a clear count. ;-)
    i will let the bird footprint soon. its under GPL so i am not disclosing any condifential information.
    thanks!
    -paul
    Oh, but I'm coming to work for your government! So it won't be confidential unless your a member of my government in which case it will be confidential but only for 10 years. In which case given that I have a 9 month contract, when I return to the UK I will have to wait 9yrs and 3months to find out what I actually did?

I'm confused now and maybe a visit to the cellar is called for?

Posted via CB10
    07-08-13 09:55 AM
    Oh, but I'm coming to work for your government! So it won't be confidential unless your a member of my government in which case it will be confidential but only for 10 years. In which case given that I have a 9 month contract, when I return to the UK I will have to wait 9yrs and 3months to find out what I actually did?

I'm confused now and maybe a visit to the cellar is called for?

Posted via CB10
    and yes get one bottle for me too. not pegs. full bottle. the sad news. is little sadder than i expected. so we might as well clink! cheers!
    thanks!
    -paul
    07-08-13 09:58 AM
    Thanks guys for keeping this thread at top

I had a reply from Nautical charts developer. He says that PB OS has a bug that causes it to hibernate and that his BB10 version does not do that. I am skeptical because last year the charting program did not hibernate so long as we were moving and it was receiving gps updates every few seconds. But now it does. Only change being that app was updated several times. For charting app to be useful, it does need to be always on. I thought Showcase would ensure that, but it does not. I will keep playing with it.

Same problem would apply to auto (car gps) or other mapping apps - do they hibernate just when you need them?
    07-08-13 10:07 AM

I had a reply from Nautical charts developer. He says that PB OS has a bug that causes it to hibernate and that his BB10 version does not do that. I am skeptical because last year the charting program did not hibernate so long as we were moving and it was receiving gps updates every few seconds. But now it does. Only change being that app was updated several times. For charting app to be useful, it does need to be always on. I thought Showcase would ensure that, but it does not. I will keep playing with it.

Same problem would apply to auto (car gps) or other mapping apps - do they hibernate just when you need them?
    dont you wish you had agps? my tiny thought.
    thanks!
    -paul
    07-08-13 10:19 AM

Ever thought of taking up flying instead. Think about it because it's quicker and you don't drown, now that has to be a positive, also you don't have them pesky barracudas nibbling at your plane whe your driving along. (is that what you do on a boat) anyway it's much nicer. Ok you have the occasional missile but the only ones to worry about is the ones that the cat has!

If that happens just throw a tin of tuna at him.

ps don't forget to throw the tin opener with it!

Posted via CB10
    07-08-13 10:34 AM
    Ever thought of taking up flying instead. Think about it because it's quicker and you don't drown, now that has to be a positive, also you don't have them pesky barracudas nibbling at your plane whe your driving along. (is that what you do on a boat) anyway it's much nicer. Ok you have the occasional missile but the only ones to worry about is the ones that the cat has!

If that happens just throw a tin of tuna at him.

ps don't forget to throw the tin opener with it!

Posted via CB10
    sorry going a little technical. those gps are called geospatial gps and your playbook gps is not geospatial gps. i think its simple 5m/second NMEA gps. correct me if i am wrong. on a plane you need a gyroscope and a geospatial gps. and its inbuilt in a plane. go to cockpit. viola! ;-)
    thanks!
    -paul
    07-08-13 10:36 AM
    sorry going a little technical. those gps are called geospatial gps and your playbook gps is not geospatial gps. i think its simple 5m/second NMEA gps. correct me if i am wrong. on a plane you need a gyroscope and a geospatial gps. and its inbuilt in a plane. go to cockpit. viola! ;-)
    thanks!
    -paul
    "go to cockpit" As the pilot I've always found it to be advantageous to be there anyway?

Anyway I'm out a here

Posted via CB10
    07-08-13 10:43 AM
29 12