Is it possible to define how the Playbook will be recognized on a network? My Playbook usually tries to connect to my wireless network as the "Z" drive - it pre-empts the drive designation. I share files from a file server as a virtual "Z" drive - automated templates on other computers look for the "Z" drive. If the Playbook is connected, those templates cannot find the files they are looking for because they are looking on the Playbook instead of on the file server. Although I can change the templates and map the file server directories to another drive letter, that would be a big job. It would be much easier if I can force the Playbook to join the network with a specific drive designation. Is that possible?
    04-18-13 05:09 PM
    I believe you can change the drive assignment in MY Computer.

Right Click on MyComputer and select Map Network Drive. I think you can change the assignment there. Some googling might provide more specifics.
    04-18-13 06:22 PM
    Thanks. That allows me to map manually to a different drive, but I am trying to avoid having to do that on a continual basis - for example, if Windows does an update that requires a reboot, the mapping gets screwed up. Previously established mapped connections are supposed to reconnect at logon, but the Playbook jumps in ahead of them and takes over the "Z" designation - it also seems to happen at times when there is no reboot involved. When it happens I have to shut down the Playbook, re-map the "Z" drive to the correct location, then reboot the Playbook. It would be nice to be able to give the Playbook a permanent designation that it maps to every time it is on the network..
    04-18-13 10:13 PM
    Or just find out what the ip address of the PB is and make a shortcut on the desktop to it pointing at its ip address

\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    04-19-13 03:01 AM
    Or just find out what the ip address of the PB is and make a shortcut on the desktop to it pointing at its ip address

\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Just don't pad thost octets with leading zeros - otherwise the OS will treat the octet as actually being in octal.

If you want to map a network drive to a specific letter, and ideally have it remembered, from a command prompt:-

net use <drive letter>: \\<ip address of PlayBook>\media /user:<whatever user you've created on the PlayBook for WiFi file sharing> password (or * then it will prompt you for the password) /persistent:yes

You could also save that in a command file (ideal something like map_playbook.cmd) - have that on your desktop and run it when needs be.

Command prompt stuff is picky about (rightly so) about spaces / white-space and options / parameters for commands - so don't interpret that, above, if there's a space use one between fields, if there's no space make sure there isn't in your use of the command.
    04-19-13 03:13 AM
    My playbook is permanently mapped to P: guess what P stands for
    Map network drive, choose drive letter, folder is: \\192.168.0.12\media using whatever ip your playbook is assigned to.
    It's always P: and never changes.
    04-19-13 07:38 AM
    You could also give your PlayBook a unique name on your network and just browse to it when you want to transfer files. Between the two servers I have SMB shares on I have about six network drives mapped. Just to keep things a little clean I just go into a run prompt in Windows and put in \\hostname\ and it gives me the PlayBook's SMB shares. My Windows 7 machines, bound to a 2003 Domain can also see the PlayBook as a networked device in the Network list so I can also just open it up from there too.
    04-19-13 07:55 AM
    Some really good and helpful info, here. I use the Static Address for the pb. In the original case, the pb changes the designation of another drive the poster uses. Obviously, the OP wants to make sure that the pb does not force his/her other Drive up or down the "drive letter alphabet". I see happen on my system with other usb drives I plug in. It does become a game of musical drives occasionally. Even my Epson printer with an sd slot gets into the action if I turn if on/off!
    04-19-13 11:30 AM