I found too many initial problems for the 'state of the art' PB.

WIFI
    Setup WIFI on home network. Connects to Internet. After a few minutes Internet drops out but connection is shown. Must turn off/on WIFI to get connection returned.

OBJECT ZOOM
    Objects are difficult to control in size: depending upon screen either 'large' or 'small' is available

RETAIN IMAGE
    Images do not lock in place

"BUTTONS"
    In-program 'buttons do not work most of the time. To get out of the lock it is necessary to switch programs.

ADOBE PDF
    No zoom to fit-page. Actually, no zoom.

CAMERA
    Can not find switch between the two cameras.
    Can only be used for recording; no programs to use video conferencing

BRIDGE/BLUETOOTH:
    Installed Bridge app on BB9000 (with latest OS). Problem seems to be the bluetooth connection. BB Phone can 'see' the PB but no the other way. Unable to pair. Also tried to pair for bluetooth only and tether, no success.

Last comment: RIM is selling an expensive product without having an adequate shakedown before release. It could be the problems described can be settled by software, but, the purchaser of a $500-700 device should not have to be the 'tester'.
    Last edited by mandony; 04-20-11 at 10:06 AM.
    04-20-11 09:59 AM
    ok. I like mine.
    04-20-11 10:06 AM
    At least for the camera, the switch is in the bottom right corner. You have to place your finger there for it to show up.
    As for video conferencing, if you watch the YouTube video by Adobe that came up in the forums, you'll see they have a video conferencing application coming.

I think everyone needs to take a deep breath, calm down, and maybe give their device more than 8 hours to decide if you want to keep it. Everything that people are complaining about are software related and we know that there are a lot of updates coming. To return a device because of reasons we know are going to be updated is ridiculous.
    04-20-11 10:07 AM
    Strange. I didn't have a single problem with my PB and 9000. Works flawlessly.
    04-20-11 10:09 AM
    If I were them I would have just delayed release by a month. The negative threads on this forum will probably do them more harm than letting people wait another month...

But I guess they sort of cornered themselves, announcing it so damn early and all...
    04-20-11 10:12 AM
    Not having any of these problems...play with it for more than 2 minutes and learn something...I just hope you didn't buy it at Bestbuy because they are going to rip you something like a 15-30%re-stocking fee not sure what the % is but you will be even more ticked...if you really don't want it sell it on e-bay and ship ot it to another country...might even make a few $
    04-20-11 10:13 AM
    I found too many initial problems for the 'state of the art' PB.

WIFI
    Setup WIFI on home network. Connects to Internet. After a few minutes Internet drops out but connection is shown. Must turn off/on WIFI to get connection returned.

OBJECT ZOOM
    Objects are difficult to control in size: depending upon screen either 'large' or 'small' is available

RETAIN IMAGE

"BUTTONS"
    In-program 'buttons do not work most of the time. To get out of the lock it is necessary to switch programs.

ADOBE PDF
    No zoom to fit-page. Actually, no zoom.

CAMERA
    Can not find switch between the two cameras.
    Can only be used for recording; no programs to use video conferencing

BRIDGE/BLUETOOTH:
    Installed Bridge app on BB9000 (with latest OS). Problem seems to be the bluetooth connection. BB Phone can 'see' the PB but no the other way. Unable to pair. Also tried to pair for bluetooth only and tether, no success.

Last comment: RIM is selling an expensive product without having an adequate shakedown before release. It could be the problems described can be settled by software, but, the purchaser of a $500-700 device should not have to be the 'tester'.
    It's at the bottom [edit] right of the screen. took me a few moments to get it to come up (I had no manual, instructions, or foreknowledge) when playing with it for a few minutes at BB.

But I understand your frustrations with a number of issues that the PB presents at the moment. That's why I've adopted a "wait and see" stance.
    Last edited by dave1812; 04-20-11 at 10:23 AM.
    04-20-11 10:15 AM
    It's at the bottom Right of the screen. took me a few moments to get it to come up (I had no manual, instructions, or foreknowledge) when playing with it for a few minutes at BB.

But I understand your frustrations with a number of issues that the PB presents at the moment. That's why I've adopted a "wait and see" stance.
    Its definitely on the right side of the screen. Left side is the zoom and Geo-tagging controls.
    04-20-11 10:20 AM
    Its definitely on the right side of the screen. Left side is the zoom and Geo-tagging controls.
    oops! I slept since I saw it on Friday.
    04-20-11 10:22 AM
    Yuppers.. I love mine more then my ipad.

Camera works and the switch is hidden.. No crashes etc.

My wifi router has the same issues on my ipad and iphone.... connection is there but doesn't work.. same with the playbook last night.. time to change the router.

I'm not having any of the problems you are.

But then again i manage our network, bes server, and server farms.. So i might figure things out quicker then some
    04-20-11 10:25 AM
    Strange. I didn't have a single problem with my PB and 9000. Works flawlessly.
    Thanks
    Do you remember the sequence 'how to'?

Regarding return.. Staples has a 14 day full return policy
    baxvent likes this.
    04-20-11 10:26 AM
    the adobe zooming is the only thing i find not too good, other than that, i'm not experiencing ANY of the problems you have..

video conferencing isnt here yet
    04-20-11 10:33 AM
    the adobe zooming is the only thing i find not too good, other than that, i'm not experiencing ANY of the problems you have..
    I think much of the problem is bluetooth related (since it relates to bridge and tether).. if someone can help, that would be appreciated
    04-20-11 10:37 AM
    RETAIN IMAGE

If you're referring to zooming in digital pics, I agree.
    04-20-11 10:39 AM
    RETAIN IMAGE

If you're referring to zooming in digital pics, I agree.
    exactly.. they become either large or small, not like 'pulling' the picture larger or smaller; the pictures don't lock on the screen position

I suppose that the PB 'manual' links were posted to the forum.
    The 41 page manual is available here:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...001-6.0-US.pdf
    Last edited by mandony; 04-20-11 at 11:04 AM.
    04-20-11 10:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD