And you have a responsibility to fix them. I'm sorry, but if my HDMI stops working because I engaged an OS update, I don't care if the unit itself is out of warranty. It is unconscionable that so, so many people - including me - have had HDMI issues with their Playbooks yet BBerry's only response is "out of warranty/out of luck." They made the damn product...it's obvious there's a systemic problem with their HDMI (probably a hardware issue)...they really need to man up and be responsible for it...warranty or no. This is bush league and petty and not worthy of what they're trying to portray with their "rejuvinated" brand. Come on, Bberry...you know you have a problem. Man up. If this was a car, there would be a recall and you know it. I'm on my 4th bberry phone (Q-10) and the Playbook so I have been more than loyal to you...when very respected friends and colleagues have said I was stupid. I had a BES server at my office - JUST FOR ME. The rest of my staff was on iPhone and Android. And after all that, you guys mess up the HDMI which renders my Playbook little more than a big iPod touch, and your response to a loyal customer is "tough tittie." C'mon, either you're back or you're just posturing. Which is it. Sprint doesn't care if I switch next week to a Galaxie Tab and a QWERTY Android phone. Do you?
    09-11-13 08:08 PM
    Sorry, I'm not buying it. I don't have hdmi problems, and I been coming on this board long enough and often enough to know that this is not a common problem. As to "out of warranty/out of luck", the one major problem that many have experienced with their PBs is with the camera, and Blackberry's response has generally been anything but "out of warranty/out of luck".
    09-11-13 08:26 PM
    shows how little you actually understand business. they owe you Nothing. your bb is unlikely to cause harm to your safety so no recall for you. I undrrstand your frustrated coz your pb broke. my sons hdmi doesn't work either. so what,.the connector is damaged and he is out of luck. he is 16. and does less whinning than you.
    suck it up and go buy something else if your not happy with the product.

sorry if I'm being harsh but your not likely to make or break their next quarter, none of us are..
    09-11-13 08:46 PM
    I have never had an hdmi problem on any of my 3 playbooks. I have never had any camera issues either. The only problem I have ever since I upgraded my 9900 to a Q10 was that I lost the ability to text and BBM from my playbook while bridged to my Q! Worked fine on my 9780 as well. That's my one and only complaint besides the fact I was led to believe that my playbook was to receive a free bb10 update, so I purchased two more playbooks. I have since sold one playbook for more than I paid for it. The other two are used daily, mostly for reading CB and catching up with sports and other news, games and the odd movie as well as making a few of my own movies
    rotorwrench and Carl Estes like this.
    09-11-13 11:55 PM
    Just because you don't have an HDMI problem now doesn't mean you won't...mine used to work fine and just stopped. let's see how forgiving you are when you're in a client prezo and you can't present because BlackBerry conveniently decided that they already had your money and tell you to **** off....Android is making some very attractive tablets and qwerty phones is my point.....

I'm not so I can't but I would if I could so if you would please do and I will if I can.
    09-12-13 08:13 AM
    I've been on this forum for quite some time now, and I'm not aware of their being a 'bigger issue' with the HDMI on the Playbook. In fact, I'm really can't remember the last time it was mentioned (I'm talking about the HDMI actually stopping working, as opposed to the connector getting broken, which is generally down to the user).

I'm sorry that your PB went wrong during a presentation, and I'll agree that I would be p****d too if it happened to me, but tech. does go wrong, and depending on how old it is, you can't always expect the manufacturer to replace/repair it for free unless there is a manufacturing problem (which I honestly don't think there is in this case). How long have you had your PlayBook, and what exactly IS the problem(yea, I know your HDMI stopped working, but more specifically?), and have Blackberry explicitly said that they will not help? Usually their tech-support is quite good (though I confess this was before the latest BB10 debacle and the apparent lack of interest from BB for the PlayBook of late.

If you are really unhappy with your PlayBook/Blackberry then your best bet IS to go and get yourself a nice Android tab and phone...
    09-12-13 08:48 AM
    I'm not so I can't but I would if I could so if you would please do and I will if I can.
    I'm gunna need to ponder that for a bit

I also never heard of anyone's HDMI just failing without some user created damage to the port or some other incident

If there was a problem, lord knows there would be threads about it in abundance here.
    09-12-13 10:29 AM
    I'm gunna need to ponder that for a bit

I also never heard of anyone's HDMI just failing without some user created damage to the port or some other incident

If there was a problem, lord knows there would be threads about it in abundance here.
    Don't lose your first 3 hairs over it....

c
    Cynycl likes this.
    09-12-13 10:32 AM
    Just because you don't have an HDMI problem now doesn't mean you won't...mine used to work fine and just stopped. let's see how forgiving you are when you're in a client prezo and you can't present because BlackBerry conveniently decided that they already had your money and tell you to **** off....Android is making some very attractive tablets and qwerty phones is my point.....

I got my first work PB in Sept of 2011 and use my HDMI port 4 or 5 times a week for personal and business presentations and have yet to have a problem with the port. Same goes for the USB which I use to charge with every day for the last 2 years. We have 9 PBs at work with the same experience except for one, which had the HDMI port damaged when an employee jerked her PB off the desk with the cable attached.

I'm not saying you don't have a legitimate problem but it's not common. FWIW, last year we got a new PB at work with a bad USB port and BB replaced it, no questions asked.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-12-13 11:44 PM
    I think you mean Usb port...

Posted via CB10
    09-12-13 11:49 PM
    Believe he means the micro USB type AB port.
    09-13-13 01:36 AM
    I am somewhat sympathetic to the OP. My first 64gb Playbook (bought on April 19, 2011 at full price) had a great HDMI port and then it suddenly stopped working after 18 months. I had purchased the Playbook using my AMEX which extends the warranty by one year. I called AMEX, got their authorization to proceed, and then called Blackberry. They RMA'd it. That was in February. About one week later a box shows up at my office. Inside was a brand new 64GB Playbook -- no not a refurb -- brand new. I never got an explanation and I never had to claim from AMEX.

In short, if you have been told by Blackberry you are out of luck, I am sorry. If you haven't called them, do so. You might be surprised by the response. Also, tell them it appears to be hardware (not software) as my updates have not affected the HDMI port. It just stopped working. I think it was very fragile and poorly designed and secretly Blackberry knows it.

Good luck.
    09-13-13 04:15 PM
    Never had an HDMI issue, and my only conversation with Teir 2 Support was with respect to it not powering up. They replaced my Playbook with out an issue, and was out of warranty.

Posted via the best Keyboard in Existence my Mo Fo Z10
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-13-13 04:20 PM
    Hey guys im as much of a bberry apologist and fanboy as you but if you search the forum for hdmi problems...you'll find dozens of pages and hundreds upon hundreds of posts just like mine....no drops or pulled ca bles the thing simply stopped working. The fact that there hasnt been a single moderator or bberry response to any of them is telling...they know they have a problem a d are unwilling to do anything about it...and i have indeed called and been told that...and im sorry but my bmw dealer replaced for free an $800 amp that shorted out after my warranty expired...they said they appreciated my business...my next car is going to be another bmw my next tablet is going to be a galaxie tab
    09-14-13 03:57 AM
    but if you search the forum for hdmi problems...you'll find dozens of pages and hundreds upon hundreds of posts just like mine
    I searched. I didn't find.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-14-13 04:42 AM
    Seriously, while I did not search, I've been around this place for a long time and my gray matter is pretty good at retaining at least hints of subjects that have generated interest. I really don't recall lots of HDMI threads. I recall that some tv models need some settings tweaked and that there have been a few non-working hdmi issues but I really don't recall a lot of them.

Now, as noted, the USB port is another issue - it is a definitely weak link. Too many folks have bunged it up and I do blame RIM/BB. They used a port designed to accommodate usb-togo which they never implemented but it stupidly permits insertion (okay, partial insertion) of a usb micro-plug upsidedown and that leads to damage. So, including a poorly designed socket for a feature that still awaits implementation WAS STUPID!!!!! IRRITATING and should be covered by extended warranty!!!!
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-14-13 10:23 AM
    My HDMI works fine after the update. Even have audio for videos.

There have been a few issues but not the "systemic problem" you claim.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-14-13 10:34 AM
    shows how little you actually understand business.
    No, it shows pathetic business decisions that helps BlackBerry to be on its path to its demise.

To rephrase Stephen Covey, BlackBerry has killed the goose that lays the golden eggs.
    09-14-13 10:52 AM
    3 playbooks here none of which work with hdmi, two cables 2 tv's just says not connected.

going to reset one of them and see if it works prior to the big update. meanwhile its google fu time.
    11-15-13 06:26 AM
    Hey guys im as much of a bberry apologist and fanboy as you but if you search the forum for hdmi problems...you'll find dozens of pages and hundreds upon hundreds of posts just like mine....no drops or pulled ca bles the thing simply stopped working. The fact that there hasnt been a single moderator or bberry response to any of them is telling...they know they have a problem a d are unwilling to do anything about it...and i have indeed called and been told that...and im sorry but my bmw dealer replaced for free an $800 amp that shorted out after my warranty expired...they said they appreciated my business...my next car is going to be another bmw my next tablet is going to be a galaxie tab
    I have two of them, and my work unit gets alot of use, and some "abuse", letting others use for presenttations and such. The HDMI port IS more robust than the Micro USB port. I have put a drop of white paint on the "upside" of the connectors (and every other charging/connection cable I have) to eliminate the "upside down plug-in syndrome".

Yes, a few, very few had an HDMI issue, but most of the time it was user error, not turning it on, mirror mode, wrong/cheap type of HDMI cable, wrong setting on tv/projector. But nothing like "dozens of pages and hundreds upon hundreds of posts", simply not there.

If you want, you might try a wipe and reload OS, takes about 15 minutes hands on, and about 4 beers while it is doing it's thing.

I/we wish you the best of luck and hope you get it up and running again.

Keep us updated if you try.

c
    GreenCopperz likes this.
    11-15-13 02:32 PM
    3 playbooks here none of which work with hdmi, two cables 2 tv's just says not connected.

going to reset one of them and see if it works prior to the big update. meanwhile its google fu time.
    3 PB's and ALL have the same problem? Really?

Do you know anybody with a PB, and they have their HDM I working, ask if you can plug it into your tv(s) WITHOUT changing anything. You need a control/reference to help point/direct you in the correct direction: Cable? Settings on PB, Settings on TV, good cables vs cheap cables (there is a difference, not all HDMI cables are created equal).

Keep us posted, and good luck, we be here to help.

c
    11-15-13 02:37 PM
    My PB works fine connected to a 55" Sony TV via HDMI cable from HipStreet

Posted via CB10 1.4.2 on Z10 10.2.0.424 on the Rogers Network
    GreenCopperz likes this.
    11-15-13 02:40 PM
    I thought it was my PlayBook doing the same thing when the cable still worked on my phone. I replaced the cable with a newer better one and now works flawlessly on both my devices. Before you bash BlackBerry, do some due diligence and check the cable please!

Posted via CB10
    Carl Estes and FF22 like this.
    11-15-13 02:46 PM

3 units doing the same thing? Odds are against it, did they work at one time, or is this the first time you hooking up to tv?
    Make sure you have enabled the HDMI in the settings menu (you can find the definitions of the setting the the User Manual).
    And make sure you have the tv set to the correct input. Some newer tv's will automatically switch to the correct input once it detects a signal coming in from an HDMI port.

I have 2 since launch and never had an HDMI issue, ( I did have to look at the manual the first time in setting it up, but since then, no issues.

Good luck and let us know how it went....

c
    11-15-13 02:57 PM
    I was almost murdered by my sister because I plugged in Playbook into their huge tv which then prompted for the "new unit's name" etc and with their very finicky mult-controller remote ($200 for the guy to set it up!!), there was no way to reply (the real remote was secreted away somewhere). My PB's screen showed under the prompt box. Then after disconnecting the damn tv still wanted the now gone device identified. My sister threatened my life when things were still going "bump in the night" 15 minutes later. Luckily it all settled down. The cable was my cheapie 10 foot Monoprice and it just WORKED (other than the TV's machinations trying to out-guess me and manual control).
    Carl Estes likes this.
    11-15-13 03:59 PM
46 12