several reboots and much jiggery pokery and one now works with both cables - nothing with the other two though. I'd hoped it was just the cables but I'm going to bimble down to maplin or currys and try a couple of their cables in their tvs.
    11-17-13 11:47 AM
    got a cable from staples worked no problem
    11-17-13 06:26 PM
    second one suddenly started working after half a dozen reboots and another cable when made it work with the other two so works with three cables now, the third one is still dead so trying a factory reset to see if its a driver issue mentioned somewhere before looking at a warranty job.

it didn't work from the reset OS 2.0.4summit and the update to 2.1 from reset is 100mb smaller this time for some reason.
    11-19-13 06:19 AM
    2 Playbooks, 3 TVs, 2 cables. 1 PB works fine the other only works when the resolution on the PB is turned down to 480. So 50% failure rate of HDMI here.
    11-21-13 06:03 PM
    my hdmi worked fine for first 6 months or so ( bought sept 2012) then, stopped working...not my tv, cables etc (I'm a non 1diot and I do check the obvious before complaining) have just rechecked and will play audio but no video

maybe due to blackberry giving up on the pb and maybe a lot of users not bothering much with their pb anymore we are not seeing the same issues being reported??
    11-22-13 07:03 PM
    PlayBook was working fine using my original Hdmi cable. In the middle of the movie I lost the connection. I tried 3 different TV's, nothing. The cable work fine on my phone. I'll buy a new Hdmi and hopefully it'll work. If not, blackberry will hear about it.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 02:17 AM
    3 TVs, 3 PBs, el-cheapo micro HDMI cables from FactoryDirect, never had a failure yet. I also put a dollop of red nailpolish on all the up sides of all my cables so I don't have to hunt for the reading glasses. Haven't had a mishap yet.
    FF22 and Carl Estes like this.
    11-24-13 09:53 AM
    3 TVs, 3 PBs, el-cheapo micro HDMI cables from FactoryDirect, never had a failure yet. I also put a dollop of red nailpolish on all the up sides of all my cables so I don't have to hunt for the reading glasses. Haven't had a mishap yet.
    White nail polish on both the hdmi and usb cables - easy to see in the dark.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    11-24-13 11:50 PM
    Let's be clear, the PB has a Hdmi problem. The Hdmi indicator on the PB show that it's connected and that all the settings are correct but, the TV show that it is Not connected. The Hdmi feed is not leaving the PB going through the cable. I've now used 3 different Hdmi cables. How many more cables should I buy? This is a BlackBerry issue that didn't want to get out, too late!!!!

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 11:08 AM
    Let's be clear, the PB has a Hdmi problem. The Hdmi indicator on the PB show that it's connected and that all the settings are correct but, the TV show that it is Not connected. The Hdmi feed is not leaving the PB going through the cable. I've now used 3 different Hdmi cables. How many more cables should I buy? This is a BlackBerry issue that didn't want to get out, too late!!!!

Posted via CB10
    No......YOUR pb has an issue...my 2 playbooks have been running great with hdmi since I bought them. This is not a recall issue, or some design problem....your hdmi simply stopped working. Try the hard reboot as suggested...then decide from there what you need to do. Geez.
    11-25-13 11:46 AM
    I have two Playbooks that get used regularly. Both bought around launch. The HDMI works fine on both.
    I did have to go through a few cables before I found one that works consistently. I believe it was purchased from monoprice.
    The first couple cables I bought had connectors that were loose in the PlayBook port. The PB would see the cable but not put a picture on the big screen unless I pushed on the connector just the right way. The cable from monoprice has a tighter fit and works all the time.
    If the connector has excessive wiggle in the port get a different cable.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-26-13 12:58 PM
    seeing as the hdmi port has what 19? pins - it's hardly surprising some of the micro ports fail or weren't made right in the first place and they most likely didn't figure in the QC process.

if its out of warranty then its tough cheese I guess but it would cost Rim very little in good will to exchange faulty units.
    11-26-13 04:11 PM
    No HDMI problems with my PlayBook at all. I have had problems with cables getting damaged, though.

In one case, a couple metal contacts got bent when I tried inserting the plug into the TV. I don't know whether it was because of the port on the TV, a cheaply made cable, or me trying to force the thing, but it clearly was not the PlayBook's fault in that case.

Posted from my Z30 via CB10
    11-26-13 04:28 PM
    when I was hunting around various forums the android bunch have had similar problems in the past as well. quite plausible that the component supplier messed up
    11-26-13 04:40 PM
    No......YOUR pb has an issue...my 2 playbooks have been running great with hdmi since I bought them. This is not a recall issue, or some design problem....your hdmi simply stopped working. Try the hard reboot as suggested...then decide from there what you need to do. Geez.
    I bought a 64g pb in sept 12 and I bought one for my gf last christmas...her hdmi works fine, mine has ceased to work after a few months.
    if you bothered to read the numerous comments about this issue that isn't to do with cables/tvs issues etc you might be not be so ar$ey with your replies....like 'geez' in a patronizing maner.

there DOES appear to be an issue with the hdmi output on certain pb's

so if you got nothin constructive to add to suggest a solution keep ya 'geez' to yaself. cheers
    11-27-13 07:58 PM
    Works flawlessly since day one on about 4 different tvs. It's a POS cable too.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 08:10 PM
    Never had hdmi problems with my PlayBook or z10, q10, or z30

Posted via CB10
    John Pawling likes this.
    11-27-13 08:12 PM
    I bought a 64g pb in sept 12 and I bought one for my gf last christmas...her hdmi works fine, mine has ceased to work after a few months.
    if you bothered to read the numerous comments about this issue that isn't to do with cables/tvs issues etc you might be not be so ar$ey with your replies....like 'geez' in a patronizing maner.

there DOES appear to be an issue with the hdmi output on certain pb's

so if you got nothin constructive to add to suggest a solution keep ya 'geez' to yaself. cheers
    I have had 4....not 1, but 4 playbooks....sold 2 of them...NEVER had a problem with HDMI on any of them. It also depends on how you treat your devices...have they been dropped, cables pulled, or abused? Will there be units with faulty connectors out there? Sure. Does it mean that BlackBerry needs to "man up"? Absolutely not...go to any forum....ANY FORUM.....cars....tv's...phones...you name it...there will always be complaints posted, as there should....but that doesn't make the problem or complaint a universal one. Double geez......
    John Pawling likes this.
    11-28-13 12:56 AM
    I've had issues where a movie played back over HDMI has stuttering video and sound, while it plays back fine on the PB screen. This happens with both KalemSoft Media Player and the stock Videos app. The PB has to be rebooted (damnable startup time!) and the TV powered off and on again to fix it.

No, the HDMI out isn't perfect, but BBRY have abandoned everything so I have no hope of getting anything from them.
    11-28-13 02:34 AM
    2 Playbooks, 3 TVs, 2 cables. 1 PB works fine the other only works when the resolution on the PB is turned down to 480. So 50% failure rate of HDMI here.
    How do you turn down the resolution on your PlayBook? My HDMI used to work and I think it stopped working after one of the last two minor updates.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-14 09:45 AM
    How do you turn down the resolution on your PlayBook? My HDMI used to work and I think it stopped working after one of the last two minor updates.

Posted via CB10
    Have you looked at HELP icon/Connections icon on your PB? Tells you how to reset modes and resolution to match connected device. Also try another HDMI cable if other things don't work.
    01-18-14 11:43 AM
46 12