So for a while the battery life of my Playbook has been pretty dire - draining much more quickly than before - and occasionally when I turned it on from standby the screen wouldn't come up as usual, but it would light up and nondescript lines would appear. As of today this is constant; it seems to be a display thing as it still makes noises when it receives emails. I've restarted it repeatedly but to no avail. I've become reliant on it for my work, so this is obviously very inconvenient. Does anyone have any suggestions as to things to try to sort it out before I go running to RIM/PC World on Tuesday after the bank holiday?
    08-26-12 11:07 AM
    It sounds like a hardware problem....however, what OS are you running on your PB? I had the recalled. 668 on mine and it totally jacked my battery life. I downgraded back to. 358 and now my PB is back to working great. Also, have you tried wiping and doing a fresh install?
    08-26-12 11:24 AM
    I think I downloaded that update, but I've no way of checking now as I can't see anything on the PB. I don't know how to wipe, etc. Is it possible without being able to see the screen?
    08-26-12 11:33 AM
    do the following to wipe you playbook...

Make sure you back up your data...

swipe down from the top of your playbook
    Go to security
    select security wipe
    type in blackberry
    select wipe

after device is shutdown
    plug into your computer ( make sure blackbery desktop is installed )
    follow the prompts
    restore your data
    08-26-12 11:39 AM
    Thanks, but the display doesn't work, so I can't see anything I'm pressing. Is it possible to do it all via desktop manager?
    08-26-12 11:42 AM
    I think I downloaded that update, but I've no way of checking now as I can't see anything on the PB. I don't know how to wipe, etc. Is it possible without being able to see the screen?
    You can try just plugging in your PB to your PC/laptop and using desktop manager to back up. Once done, shut your PB off and run a device update in DM to downgrade (search the CB forums for PB OS downgrade process).
    08-26-12 11:45 AM
    Try the Debrick method....

Perform a backup of your pb if you can using Desktop Manager or, at least, manually coping any unique data, photos, voice recordings, documents, etc.

1) Turn your playbook OFF by holding down the power button
    2) Let your playbook sit for about 10 minutes as earlier suggested.
    3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, use the USB Cable and hook the PB to the PC.. THEN power on the Playbook
    5) A screen will show on your computer showing that the device cannot be found
    6) Click on Update. It will take awhile
    08-26-12 08:59 PM
    Push mail and Auto sync are 2 main problems I've always had with the PlayBook native mail. Everytime I put them off and to manual, respectively, the problems really seem to cut down..
    08-27-12 12:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD