View Poll Results: Would you like to see an upgrade to the UI of the Bridge Apps?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would like to see the Bridge apps UI look just as beautiful as the native accounts.

28 45.90%
  • I would like to see the Bridge apps integrated with the UI of native apps.

29 47.54%
  • I don't mind the UI of the Bride apps

3 4.92%
  • I am jealous of the other half of my PB because the native accounts UI trumps the Bridge apps UI.

1 1.64%
    I was bothered by duplication once I had the new apps set up and was disappointed that the Bridge apps retained the old UX. As I prefer the new apps, I've disabled Bridge e-mail, calendar and contacts (via the Bridge app on the phone). I kept the Bridge tasks and memos as I use these and there were no upgrades.
    02-22-12 03:23 PM
    I was bothered by duplication once I had the new apps set up and was disappointed that the Bridge apps retained the old UX. As I prefer the new apps, I've disabled Bridge e-mail, calendar and contacts (via the Bridge app on the phone). I kept the Bridge tasks and memos as I use these and there were no upgrades.
    The only issue I have with that is sometimes I add calendar entries on my BB, so I'd still want to use Bridge calendar for a "complete" view. E-mail and contacts I suppose I can disable, but if I made any modifications on my BB phone, they will no longer be represented for in my PB...

Anyhow, count me in as a strong supporter of updating, or unifying the Bridge apps into the native one. I'm hoping that this is just an oversight and they will get around to working with it eventually. In the meantime I'm stuck with old bridge apps and OS2.0 is barely an afterthought to me now... should have been more like OS1.1.
    02-22-12 03:38 PM
    Amen to everything posted in this thread. Love the bridge, but want the calendar and contacts to have the new interface
    02-22-12 04:03 PM
    I don't see the Bridge Apps being updated too soon - to match the functionality of the native ones. That said:

1.) Read this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-2-0-a-701223/

Post #4 reads:

1. In Blackberry Bridge, on your phone, press the menu key, and Select Device Properties.
    2. Uncheck services that you no longer want Bridge to display on your tablet.
    3. Save and exit

Leave BBM, Tasks & Memo's enabled (no equivilent native PIM apps for those)

Voila, no notification redundancy.

Now - you will find, the native apps are still able to send/receive when you bridge your PlayBook. Just forget the Bridged Messaging/Calendar/Contacts ever existed. :P

YES - e-mail will reside on your PB now, as opposed to be disconnected like the Bridge Messages app/etc. Put a password on your device. While it is not exactly the same - you can still enjoy the PB native apps & send/receive over the bridge and use the same data plan, and not use the lack-luster bridge messaging/calendar/contacts apps.
    Last edited by BrizzadMan; 02-22-12 at 04:14 PM.
    02-22-12 04:10 PM
    I don't see the Bridge Apps being updated too soon - to match the functionality of the native ones. That said:

1.) Read this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-2-0-a-701223/

Post #4 reads:

1. In Blackberry Bridge, on your phone, press the menu key, and Select Device Properties.
    2. Uncheck services that you no longer want Bridge to display on your tablet.
    3. Save and exit

Leave BBM, Tasks & Memo's enabled (no equivilent native PIM apps for those)

Voila, no notification redundancy.

Now - you will find, the native apps are still able to send/receive when you bridge your PlayBook. Just forget the Bridged Messaging/Calendar/Contacts ever existed. :P

YES - e-mail will reside on your PB now, as opposed to be disconnected like the Bridge Messages app/etc. Put a password on your device. While it is not exactly the same - you can still enjoy the PB native apps & send/receive over the bridge and use the same data plan, and not use the lack-luster bridge messaging/calendar/contacts apps.
    Sorry, that does not work for me. The native email does not sync through bridged IP while I am out of wifi coverage. If it would, this would indeed eliminate the redundancy in receiving non-BES emails. However for BES emails you would still need to use bridged email app. Using two different apps (one with limited UX) to read emails is not what I call an integrated and unified email experience.
    Last edited by domolsz; 02-22-12 at 05:43 PM.
    02-22-12 05:28 PM
    Judging by the number of similar threads in this forum, there seams to be a great deal of confusion around using the new native applications among BB owners who use their BBs to pick up email from more than one account. There more I think about it the more convinced I am that the 2.0 update was targeted mostly towards non-BB users. And it's not only about email - the same issues apply to syncing the new calendar and address book with existing BIS and BES accounts.

Will be very interesting to see which way RIM is going to take this and if they continue to invest in bridged solutions for PB. It will be a good indicator of what's comming in Blackberry 10 in terms of email delivery - could RIM be considering gradually moving away from using their NOC infrastructure to deliver data to their devices and towards ActivSync?
    I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Edit: I would also like to see it happen.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 02-22-12 at 05:37 PM. Reason: add
    02-22-12 05:36 PM
    Sorry, that does not work for me. The native email does not sync through bridged IP while I am out of wifi coverage. If it would, this would indeed eliminate the redundancy in receiving non-BES emails. However for BES emails you would still need to use bridged email app. Using two different apps (one with limited UX) to read emails is not what I call an integrated and unified email experience.
    Strange... Works just fine for me. Added my corporate account via ActiveSync that is the same account tied to BES on my BB.
    Last edited by BrizzadMan; 02-22-12 at 06:30 PM.
    02-22-12 06:12 PM
    I think there's another element at play here for some of us...

I think it was a smart move and good for business for RIM to create stand alone native apps. Folks are not REQUIRED to have a bb to use the PB. Smart, and creative.

But, for those of us who DO use bb's, we have to sync with PC (outlook, gmail, hotmail, whatever), then turn around and sync with PB (using gmail or google sync).

My first reason to choose bb over ( I'll whisper it) iphone is being able to sync with outlook.

Now, with the PB, that can't happen without using an internet email or sync program, thus eliminating the ability to utilize my private outlook client over an internet server. Sure, one could argue that my inbound mail come through ATT servers, but ATT can't sync to PB directly. So, now I'm forced to use 2 internet domains to have my BB and PB talk using native apps.
    02-22-12 06:29 PM
    you DO realize it ISN'T going through blackberry's servers dont you?

it was being marked read because it was just a mirror of your phone before. if it is using a different server/client/whatever, how can it do what you're asking?

if you really and truly want it as a companion, then the bridge feature is great for you.
    I don't see why RIM should just give out wifi access to it's servers
    I do realize that and that works fine for me. I think you may be missing my point.

1. Because I have a BB phone, I have no use for redundant emails, contacts and calendar.
    2. Yes, I can turn one or the other off (in my case i turned the native accounts off)
    3. I like the function of bridge, but the form of native is more attractive.
    4. All I want is the function of bridge, with the beauty of native.
    Morbium, cmdr_dan and glassofpinot like this.
    02-22-12 06:30 PM
    Moe1up, I totaly agree with you! I think a poll on this issure is in order! Maybe we can get RIMS attention!
    Done to the best of my abilities.
    02-22-12 06:42 PM
    4. All I want is the function of bridge, with the beauty of native
    Which "function" of the Messaging Bridge app do you speak of in this case?
    02-22-12 07:31 PM
    Which "function" of the Messaging Bridge app do you speak of in this case?
    That when I check my emails on either device it is marked as read. And then when I disconnect from the PB my emails and any info is not there, until I reconnect. For my business specifically, I can give my PB to my biz partner and she can bridge and voila.
    02-22-12 09:50 PM
    I totally agree, hope next update will be targeted for BlackBerry users. Being able to sync the device (contacts, calendar, memo pad, etc.) with the PlayBook wound prompt more people to buy BlackBerry phones. This way we wouldn't have to rely on Gmail or anything else.
    02-22-12 10:20 PM
    Still trying to figure out what the big issue is here. I have my BES email and Gmail accounts set up in the native email client. These will stay in sync with or without Wifi as long as my PB is bridged to my BlackBerry phone. In the bridge app on my BlackBerry I turned off everything but the BBM so there is no redundancy. When I read an email on my PB it will show as read on my BB and in outlook. This doesn't happen as fast as bridge email but it works and I can take advantage of the nice new interface.
    BrizzadMan likes this.
    02-22-12 10:55 PM
    Still trying to figure out what the big issue is here. I have my BES email and Gmail accounts set up in the native email client. These will stay in sync with or without Wifi as long as my PB is bridged to my BlackBerry phone. In the bridge app on my BlackBerry I turned off everything but the BBM so there is no redundancy. When I read an email on my PB it will show as read on my BB and in outlook. This doesn't happen as fast as bridge email but it works and I can take advantage of the nice new interface.
    Exactly my setup - works great. I actually found that I was getting messages faster via the native app bridged, than they would appear on my BB via BES, and subsequently my bridged messages app. Go figure.
    chiniki likes this.
    02-22-12 11:02 PM
    Exactly my setup - works great. I actually found that I was getting messages faster via the native app bridged, than they would appear on my BB via BES, and subsequently my bridged messages app. Go figure.
    IDK, maybe because I am not on BES my phone emails are not being marked as read a quick. Like I stated before, I just want the bridge apps to be as attractive as the native apps. I like being able to disconnect bridge and non of my information is on my PlayBook. All I am saying.

When you disconnect bridge, do the emails, contacts and calendar entries remain? I assume yes....and I don't want that if I have the option not to with bridge.
    02-23-12 01:43 AM
    Chiniki, that's very interesting. How did you get to set up your BES email to sync with and appear in the native email client?

I am assuming you are not talking about accessing your BES email through ActiveSync, because that would effectively mean your are not using BES. This would work but only for those email accounts where IT policies allow for both BES and ActiveSync - you would receive emails on BB through BES and on PB through ActiveSync. I dont think there are too many companies doing that. Many IT departments are using BES for a reason, being that they still consider it as an extra layer of security and do not allow ActiveSync.
    02-23-12 04:40 AM
    Chiniki, that's very interesting. How did you get to set up your BES email to sync with and appear in the native email client?

I am assuming you are not talking about accessing your BES email through ActiveSync, because that would effectively mean your are not using BES. This would work but only for those email accounts where IT policies allow for both BES and ActiveSync - you would receive emails on BB through BES and on PB through ActiveSync. I dont think there are too many companies doing that. Many IT departments are using BES for a reason, being that they still consider it as an extra layer of security and do not allow ActiveSync.
    Yes BES on BB Activesync on PB. Originally didn't think I would be able to set up the email on my PB until I remembered I was still able to access my email through OWA.
    02-23-12 06:15 AM
    Yes BES on BB Activesync on PB. Originally didn't think I would be able to set up the email on my PB until I remembered I was still able to access my email through OWA.
    Thanks for the tip. How are OWA and ActiveSync related? Did you use somehow use OWA settings to connect through ActiveSync? I can also use OWA to access my company email, but would probably have to start a war with IT to allow ActiveSync on company's servers.
    Last edited by domolsz; 02-23-12 at 07:20 AM.
    02-23-12 07:05 AM
    So, you can use native apps or bridged, but not both, 'cos they don't sync? whats the point of having both? I'm lost. Most of my PB'ing is seeing my calendar etc on a bigger screen. good to use BB keyboard though. Overall I'm undecided as to whether it was worth the wait.
    I do need a better pdf reader - bookmarks so you can return to where you left of for starters
    Chris

I too wanted to see the two integrated, but after doing a bit of reading and talking to our IT department I wanted to share a bit of information to all the people suggesting RIM failed on this one (Not you Chris - just using your message as a springboard here). The issue is not RIM's per se but how the IT groups want to manage security. Flow will sort this out but only if a company invests in it. But here is the interesting thing. My company (very security conscious) has been under a tremendous amount of pressure to support iOS devices (not from me by the way). Problem is the email client on iOS etc is not secure at all. So in order to receive enterprise emails on the iOS devices, the users must install a client called GOOD. This client offers secure email but then guess what - you are no longer using the iOS email client and your emails are separate (personal vs business). Sound familiar? At least with Flow there will be an option that will allow the integration (as I understand it).
    02-23-12 07:30 AM
    OK so BB 10 is going to be the bees Knees (like OS2 was mneant to be!!). Why do we have to upgrade our BB's 'cos they didn't get OS2 right?
    Chris
    02-23-12 08:35 AM
    I too wanted to see the two integrated, but after doing a bit of reading and talking to our IT department I wanted to share a bit of information to all the people suggesting RIM failed on this one (Not you Chris - just using your message as a springboard here). The issue is not RIM's per se but how the IT groups want to manage security. Flow will sort this out but only if a company invests in it. But here is the interesting thing. My company (very security conscious) has been under a tremendous amount of pressure to support iOS devices (not from me by the way). Problem is the email client on iOS etc is not secure at all. So in order to receive enterprise emails on the iOS devices, the users must install a client called GOOD. This client offers secure email but then guess what - you are no longer using the iOS email client and your emails are separate (personal vs business). Sound familiar? At least with Flow there will be an option that will allow the integration (as I understand it).
    Not sure I agree - its RIM's role to come up with a product that is convenient for end users and at the same time meets security requirements of the corporates. Perhaps there are some limitations to achieving this but I see at least two solutions to this problems (see choices 1 and 2 in the poll which is running with this thread).

Also, I don't think we should excuse RIM with respect to email messaging experience by banchmarking it to iPhone - that has been RIM's stronghold and if they are not able to outperform competition in this area I foresee difficult times for their business.

In that sense, how RIM handled email integration is a fail which I can only justify (temporarily) by the fact that they are currently in transition phase from one platform to another.
    02-23-12 09:30 AM
    I am adding my name to this list. As a corporate user, this is a real pain in the backside. Also, deleting emails through the bridge is really slow. My Playbook seems to 'hang' after two deletes.
    06-18-12 04:02 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD