I dont know if this is because of 2.0 but I'm having major troubles.

First of all, I can't find any of the .bar files I loaded onto my PB before 2.0 so I can't delete them.

But that's not the biggest issue I'm having.

When I plug my PB into my computer, my computer assigns it as a Z: drive.

When I go into the Z: drive and try and load music into the first music folder, it doubles every song and loads it into the android music folder as well. If I try to delete the duplicate it deletes the original as well. Basically I try to load one 3mb song I end up with 6 mb going onto the device. Obviously this is a huge problem because my 16 GB PB is now really only an 8 GB playbook.

Anyone know what's going on?
    03-31-12 11:42 AM
    I don't but if it was me i would reload the operating system. Does suck but would probably fix it.
    03-31-12 12:29 PM
    How much are you selling it for?
    kjm2010 likes this.
    03-31-12 12:36 PM
    The files in the Android folder look like files but are links to the orignal. Try deleting one of the Android "files" and you'll find the PB original gets deleted. When I added an Android music player my free memory went from about 42Gb to about 42Gb despite there seeming to be a whole copy of my music sync folder.
    KMB4 likes this.
    03-31-12 12:39 PM
    Like myklgrant says above the folders are linked and you don't actually have double the files. NOw if you have double files in the only folder you have open then they are tru duplicates. They do this intentionally: use the PB folders and they get mapped into Android.
    KMB4 likes this.
    03-31-12 01:13 PM
    I don't know what I did different, but I'm constantly reading about problems with PlayBook's that I'm just NOT having. I'm glad, but I'm confused. I did the OS2.0 upgrade OTA, did a HARD RESET when it was complete and that's it. I was an early adapter and have been doing ALL updates in this manner with zero problems. I've done NO ROOTING, NO SIDELOADING and I have one android (YouVersion) app downloaded from app world. I see negative thread titles and makes me think something is seriously wrong with the PlayBook. I'm not exactly sure, but it seems as though majority of problems stem from user error. I'm not trying to stir anything up, but maybe posters need to look at things more closely to see where the root of the problem is coming from instead of constantly blaming the PlayBook for their own shortcomings. It's as though people are expecting the PlayBook to do things it wasn't designed to do (yet/ever) and get upset when it doesn't. ......just sayin
    03-31-12 01:18 PM
    The files in the Android folder look like files but are links to the orignal. Try deleting one of the Android "files" and you'll find the PB original gets deleted. When I added an Android music player my free memory went from about 42Gb to about 42Gb despite there seeming to be a whole copy of my music sync folder.
    If you don't mind my asking - what Android Music player?

As myklgrant noted, the "files" are merely references so that android apps can find them. You will find your photos also appear again although the folder names is different. What I don't understand is that the Documents folder was not "mirrored" in this way.
    03-31-12 01:31 PM
    stop trying to put it in that folder.
    03-31-12 01:38 PM
    I don't know what I did different, but I'm constantly reading about problems with PlayBook's that I'm just NOT having. I'm glad, but I'm confused. I did the OS2.0 upgrade OTA, did a HARD RESET when it was complete and that's it. I was an early adapter and have been doing ALL updates in this manner with zero problems. I've done NO ROOTING, NO SIDELOADING and I have one android (YouVersion) app downloaded from app world. I see negative thread titles and makes me think something is seriously wrong with the PlayBook. I'm not exactly sure, but it seems as though majority of problems stem from user error. I'm not trying to stir anything up, but maybe posters need to look at things more closely to see where the root of the problem is coming from instead of constantly blaming the PlayBook for their own shortcomings. It's as though people are expecting the PlayBook to do things it wasn't designed to do (yet/ever) and get upset when it doesn't. ......just sayin
    What things am I expecting it do do? It's very simple, I load one 3 mb song, and it takes up 6 mb of space. I'm here for help, I'm not blaming the playbook. Am I loading the music incorrectly? I don't know but this doesn't seem right to me.

I understand what people are saying about the files being linked, but they are taking up twice the space. When I delete one 3 mb song my playbook says it has 6mb of space free.

So I'm going to do a security wipe through the settings, is this enough to reset the device?

BTW - I should be able to download as many apps as my heart desires without my device malfunctioning.
    Last edited by tonynf89; 03-31-12 at 02:58 PM.
    03-31-12 02:46 PM
    May I ask what you are using to assess the statement.."when I add a 3mb file, it takes up 6mb?"

ALSO may I add..Posting for advice on this forum works so much better without ultimatums. "Help me or I'm selling my device.". Starts everyone in a defensive mode. "Hey there, I'm having an issue, can you help please?" will start everyone on a better note.
    Last edited by Princepia; 03-31-12 at 03:42 PM.
    Spencerdl and justincase1911 like this.
    03-31-12 03:38 PM
    May I ask what you are using to assess the statement.."when I add a 3mb file, it takes up 6mb?"

ALSO may I add..Posting for advice on this forum works so much better without ultimatums. "Help me or I'm selling my device.". Starts everyone in a defensive mode. "Hey there, I'm having an issue, can you help please?" will start everyone on a better note.

Checking the properties of the folders. Adding 1 file to the device and checking the properties of the device.

I wiped the device and still had the same issue. Tried adding music with desktop manager and it worked.

Still don't know why it doubles the file when you add it directly through the drive.
    03-31-12 03:49 PM
    When you go to your settings on PB, about>hardware..this won't show small increments. But if you can check with a large amount of files. I feel you may be being deceived but in actuality, all is ok.
    Chaddface likes this.
    03-31-12 03:56 PM
    I might have been a little misleading in my previous post (#6), I actually have 115 native apps and 1 Android app from app world and my PlayBook is operating GREAT as it has been since May.....knock on wood (knocking).
    03-31-12 07:22 PM
    Can't say I know / understand the issues you're having, but suggest you hang in there with your Playbook ...you'll be glad you did!
    03-31-12 07:30 PM
    It is like what windows vista and 7 does for legacy reason they are pointers. Only of course on the PB it is for Android.
    03-31-12 07:33 PM
    OP- I have found the windows estimation of free space to be inaccurate. Check the free space in settings>about>hardware, transfer a large file (.5, 1 gig), then check again. I think you will find the file doesn't take twice the space.
    03-31-12 07:43 PM
    BTW - I should be able to download as many apps as my heart desires without my device malfunctioning.
    Only in a perfect computer world where devs always get it right. If your device is working smooth and you install an app and it starts messing up its the apps fault not the device.
    I cant help you with your music issue I havent sideloaded android apps yet. I think I'll make this my next project. I'm just wondering if you've actually ben refused to move files to the device because you did'nt have enough space.
    03-31-12 07:59 PM
    That's a great story that has nothing to do with the OP's question. Why even post this here?
    03-31-12 09:43 PM
    That's a great story that has nothing to do with the OP's question. Why even post this here?
    Because I felt like it. Why are you posting here, your comment has nothing to do with the question either!!!
    justincase1911 and nievz like this.
    04-01-12 07:24 AM
    If you don't mind my asking - what Android Music player?

I've tried them all both through appworld and sideloading. The one I use is AMP Lite which has has real simple interface and gestures but little or no ability to manage playlists. The developer said it was put in appworld by mistake and will be withdrawn but I don't know if that has happened. Winamp is available and is quite nice. The other I have tried and deleted are: n7Player, Mortplayer, Android Music Player for Playbook, and Rockplayer. They all work to varying degrees.
    I currently use the native player for playlists and AMP lite for random listening.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-01-12 10:22 AM
    OP - this is a known issue, which isn't an issue at all.

The PB uses a relative link from the media folder to the android folder.

Unfortunately, windows file manager isn't smart enough to know it's only a link.

There is only 1 file, but it is being counted twice.

You still have all the space you think you have on your pb.

For further info try searching "duplicate files" in the forums.
    04-01-12 01:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD