A couple of tips.

1. I find it works best if I select my favorite zoom level and stick with that.

2. Not everything is intuitive. I found it took some time to get used to the interface and figure out how to make it all work.

3. Be sure to set your desired zoom level in the options for "Directions."

4. The "tracking" feature can be turned off or on using the on-screen icon, but you cannot tell when it is on or off except by observation.

5. Click on the "soccer ball" icon in the upper right of the menu bar and read through the manual. See number 2 above.

6. On caching. The most reliable way to ensure 100% success with caching is to do it manually. First set your cache storage limit under "Map” settings. Set the zoom level you want and scroll around everywhere you wish to cache and then be sure to click on "Save Pending" in "Map" settings. Do not close the app until "Pending Tiles" is zero, indicating all tiles have been saved. I struggled a bit with this at first.

Pretty much everything works if you have the patience to figure it out and you can settle on a single useful zoom level. It does not seem to like fiddling with zooming when on a route. In my opinion, one of the next best things to work on would be improving the interface with intuitive use in mind.
    Last edited by Westronics; 05-08-12 at 03:21 PM.
    05-08-12 11:59 AM
    Ottawa is 80% rural.

I should try NYC or Paris.
    Don't have to go that far ; Smith Falls should do it
    05-08-12 11:59 AM
    @Willard814: Once GPS is detected, the 4th button in the app bar is the record GPS button. Selecting that will display a little dialog with the current date and time for the default filename. When ready, select the record button. It will show the duration and the number of pts written to the file. When done, select the stop button. The file will be in your documents directory with the filename + .gpx.
    What are the Minimum Time Separation and Minimum Distance Separation setting for?
    05-08-12 12:37 PM
    So I am curious. If you do not have wifi access as you travel along, does the map go blank? I mean if I have the whole route mapped out and I am driving with no wifi, what good is it to me if there is no map?
    05-08-12 12:39 PM
    the app will cache your route before with your wifi, so it will display the map if you are offline after it was cached.
    05-08-12 12:47 PM
    A couple of tips.

1. I find it works best if I select my favorite zoom level and stick with that.

2. Not everything is intuitive. I found it took some time to get used to the interface and figure out how to make it all work.

3. Be sure to set your desired zoom level in the options for "Directions."

4. The "tracking" feature can be turned off or on using the on-screen icon, but you cannot tell when it is on or off expect by observation.

5. Click on the "soccer ball" icon in the upper right of the menu bar and read through the manual. See number 2 above.

6. On caching. The most reliable way to ensure 100% success with caching is to do it manually. First set your cache storage limit under "Map� settings. Set the zoom level you want and scroll around everywhere you wish to cache and then be sure to click on "Save Pending" in "Map" settings. Do not close the app until "Pending Tiles" is zero, indicating all tiles have been saved. I struggled a bit with this at first.

Pretty much everything works if you have the patience to figure it out and you can settle on a single useful zoom level. It does not seem to like fiddling with zooming when on a route. In my opinion, one of the next best things to work on would be improving the interface with intuitive use in mind.
    I finally got the caching to work, and funny thing is I didn't do anything different than yesterday. I set the zoom level and just pan around where I like and then go to settings and force saving. I set it to 2GB, which was difficult because it is covered up when you scroll to that and let go. I had to trick it and scroll up and push it really quick. Only the 1.5GB is visible at all times.
    05-08-12 01:01 PM
    I panned around Toronto from 427 to pickering and all the way up to 407. I didn't get down to the maximum zoom level (didn't have the patience). Now I have 9800 pending tiles. Estimated Time to Completion is 1 hour 22minutes.

It would be nice if there is a button that we can click that caches all higher zoom levels of what can be viewed at the current zoom level. So I can zoom out as much as I need to and have everything cached down to the street level.

I can dream.
    05-08-12 01:15 PM
    What are the Minimum Time Separation and Minimum Distance Separation setting for?

Both allow you to control the tolerance of points written to the file in both time and space. Without them, you could stand still and the GPX file could fill up your disk.
    05-08-12 01:22 PM
    The storage of cached tiles will be better in 3.1. We appreciate the positive feedback from the CB people.
    05-08-12 01:23 PM
    The storage of cached tiles will be better in 3.1. We appreciate the positive feedback from the CB people.
    It is nice to see developers willing to work with users even though you can't make everyone happy.
    05-08-12 01:28 PM
    great work jtegen, the app its working fine in colombia now, i can set up routes and directions now. i corrected my posts telling now that you can set up routes selecting points on the map.
    05-08-12 01:45 PM
    The tiles are cached. It's 523 MB for Toronto from 427 to Pickering and up to Hwy 7 or so. Missing are the tiles for the maximum zoom level. I'm sure I missed some tiles but you get the idea.
    05-08-12 02:53 PM
    jtegen thanks for answering all of our question individually! I'm sure this took up your whole day, but we greatly appreciate your hard work! Please relay a message to the folks at o2 interactive and tell them they did a bang up job on the new 3.0 update! I'm completely satisfied with your product! Cheers mate!
    rdleeuw, Harryl6134 and BBP2012 like this.
    05-08-12 04:10 PM
    It would be great if you could work with maps created with Mobile Atlas Creator to solve the caching issue.

Even better if you could use a format like SQLite (Locus uses that) which enables you to have all the tiles in one file - that addresses the space management/backup issue,

gail
    05-08-12 04:49 PM
    Regarding the setup, I did suggest during Beta testing a series of questions could be asked on first use to hold the hand of the user and get it set up correctly.

It would answer a lot of the questions and small issues o2.

Rick.
    05-08-12 05:15 PM
    Regarding the setup, I did suggest during Beta testing a series of questions could be asked on first use to hold the hand of the user and get it set up correctly.

It would answer a lot of the questions and small issues o2.

Rick.
    I will ask a series of question (1): where are the maps cached, if you know?
    05-08-12 06:24 PM
    the app will cache your route before with your wifi, so it will display the map if you are offline after it was cached.
    Thanls Stuka. Just a bit further on that, so can you zoom in and out ok, or does it only cache the zoom level you saved the trip at?
    05-08-12 07:30 PM
    Looks like a bit of a tough crowd here but this upgrade is great with the turn by turn voice guidance, kudos to o2 interactive for what they've done so far!
    I've tested the directions a couple of times and just a couple of things to adjust, otherwise it (& Doris works well. The places feature that finds restaurants, stores, etc is going to be used alot. The user guide is comprehensive to, for an app.
    The only thing I have noticed is the mapquest satellite image for my area is a lower resolution and older than the Google image was, and can't really zoom in much with it on. Maybe keeping the Google sat image as an option for use outside the voice direction would still be handy. Overall, a great functional app for the PB!
    Willard814 likes this.
    05-08-12 07:41 PM
    I uninstalled my Magellan app, and cant resist to reinstall it again after reading some helpful posts from other users and the developer tested it this morning on my way to office. I have to say it a very good app, although there are room for improvement, hope you guys dont mind a list a few.

1) it would be nice if the map can adjust the orientation as to where we're headed

2) UI can be improve ex. Adding a bookmark, need to go back and forth between map and bookmark menu

3) auto-re-route? Not sure if the feature is already available, but i find myself needing to press the re-route button (correct me if im wrong)

4) it would be nice if we can auto-center the map when we're moving.

So far, the app is very impressive, will most probably buy the full version after the trial period.

05-08-12 07:41 PM
    I have a couple of problems/questions.
    1) No help comes up when I push the soccer icon next to the ? icon.

2) Offline usage - Evan after caching at the most detail level, as soon as I turn wifi off, I am unable to search for any address.

3) offline usage - I mapped out the route from point A to point B, cache the route, exit the application, turn off wifi, restart the application, I can't find a way to bring back the route for offline usage.
    05-08-12 07:50 PM

2) Offline usage - Evan after caching at the most detail level, as soon as I turn wifi off, I am unable to search for any address.

3) offline usage - I mapped out the route from point A to point B, cache the route, exit the application, turn off wifi, restart the application, I can't find a way to bring back the route for offline usage.
    The football is supposed to bring up an adobe document. You might try deleting and reinstalling the app.

Search only works with wifi connection - it does not search cached tiles.

Are using the cache map data along rout option? Waiting for pending tiles to be saved prior to exiting? If not your route is not saved.
    05-08-12 07:59 PM
    I will ask a series of question (1): where are the maps cached, if you know?
    Let me know if you find out
    05-08-12 08:01 PM
    ^ The soccer icon launches the pdf user guide , it's located in the misc directory.
    You should be able to save a route and recall it offline, see pg 20 of the guide.
    05-08-12 08:07 PM

The solution to these could be what was posted in page 10 of this thread by jtegen which stated,

"Verify that you have permission to write to the "Files" under (device preferences/security/app permissions)."
    05-08-12 08:20 PM
    A possible useful feature to add for 3.1 would be to allow a bridged connection to be used with a cached route. Thereby giving the full functionality while conserving your data plan usage. It could use cache unless additional tiles or a new search or reroute is needed.
    05-08-12 08:30 PM
427 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD