Re-center is the circle with the cross hairs. Track with GPS (recenter map) is double arrow. You can also set the default at first GPS update under preferences (GPS/On Initial GPS). On Guidance, you also have a choice to do something (preferences/directions/GPS).
    05-08-12 08:46 AM
    I've tried searching for places that I know and am not having much luck,
    for instance plotting a course to my sons house, his street extends beyond
    what the map shows, the app is picking a spot a couple miles away and
    also taking me across a toll bridge.
    It's a good starting point but it would be nice to just put my finger on the
    screen and make a new destination point and maybe point in another spot
    and reroute this way.
    I would like to see popup options that make it easy to edit trip course without
    the need to go to a menu.

I think the app will get there, good work so far.

Also is it possible to take advantage of the Open Street Maps that are already
    downloaded on my playbook through mapdroid.
    Last edited by Mr_Bunny; 05-08-12 at 09:15 AM. Reason: added a question
    05-08-12 09:04 AM
    Re-center is the circle with the cross hairs. Track with GPS (recenter map) is double arrow. You can also set the default at first GPS update under preferences (GPS/On Initial GPS). On Guidance, you also have a choice to do something (preferences/directions/GPS).
    Ok I think this the answer to one of my questions too...but I don't think i understand the question yet.

When tracking (no route loaded) the icon moves across the map, all the way to the edge of the screen, then off. The map doesn't scroll by itself (I need to manually pan). I see that the icon has crosshairs but I don't know which option to select to make this work correctly.

Great start to a potentially wonderful application!
    05-08-12 09:11 AM
    Ok I think this the answer to one of my questions too...but I don't think i understand the question yet.

When tracking (no route loaded) the icon moves across the map, all the way to the edge of the screen, then off. The map doesn't scroll by itself (I need to manually pan). I see that the icon has crosshairs but I don't know which option to select to make this work correctly.

Great start to a potentially wonderful application!
    yes thats the answer to your question, just press the icon next to the crosshair
    05-08-12 09:16 AM
    The waypoint markers on the route can be dragged to a new location and the route will be automatically re-routed. This includes any inserted "via" points. If you have a lot of "via" points, there is a choice to optimize the route (under guidance/options) (ala traveling salesmen needs).
    05-08-12 09:33 AM
    Okay here is the thing I don't understand: With cache set to 100MB and saving the pending tiles completely and then losing wifi signal, nothing works concerning the maps. All I get is a white screen with loading tiles. What is the cache and saving tiles for then? Where did this go?
    If the cache is set to zero, no pending tiles are saving. So I set it to 100MB, and then it saves all the pending tiles which took about 1MB. As soon as I try to zoom in, the screen turns white with a bunch of "loading" tiles.
    I just don't understand how the app works.
    i got the trial version and the cache limit is 50mb, what is the largest cache limit for the paid version?
    05-08-12 10:06 AM
    i got the trial version and the cache limit is 50mb, what is the largest cache limit for the paid version?
    2Gb

ten char
    05-08-12 10:09 AM
    We are going to increase the limit to 10GB in 3.1. We just want to protect the user from filing up their device too much. But since some people mentioned they travel a lot, they may need it.
    Willard814 likes this.
    05-08-12 10:14 AM
    Back to caching - there is no end to saving tiles. An additional option in maps to prevent new tiles from being saved would make the application faster and more efficient.

In many cases I just want to 'look around' and don't want to save.

This could be achieved by having an option not to cache ( without clearing what has been stored to date ) or suspending tile save and deleting uncached tiles.
    05-08-12 10:18 AM
    Set the Cache Limit to "No Caching". It does not remove any tiles previously saved.
    Willard814 likes this.
    05-08-12 10:28 AM
    I'm still having trouble with this thing. I tried searching for an address and it returns nothing. it seems to have a mind of its own. it went from fairly simple to quite a mess. it will take time to adjust.

the 2 gb cashe limit hides under the export button so you can't hit it.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KennethD; 05-08-12 at 10:34 AM.
    05-08-12 10:30 AM
    For address search, enter minimally state,country. But you can add more by either "city,state,country" or "street,city,state,country". The last city, state country is saved so you only have to enter the lower level information next time (eg, just the street if in the same city).

We know about the menu issue. Thanks.
    05-08-12 10:42 AM
    We are going to increase the limit to 10GB in 3.1. We just want to protect the user from filing up their device too much. But since some people mentioned they travel a lot, they may need it.
    How much space would it take to cache all of North America, down to street level?
    05-08-12 10:45 AM
    We have no idea. That will be a good test.
    05-08-12 10:56 AM
    Set the Cache Limit to "No Caching". It does not remove any tiles previously saved.
    That kindof works - you have to remember to turn caching back on when offline otherwise it won't use the save tiles.

How much space would it take to cache all of North America, down to street level?
    We have no idea. That will be a good test.
    Not worth the effort. Seeing that there are let's say 25 magnification levels and each one has to be saved the whole mess would take about 10 times the space that is actually required.

No doubt that the tile concept has its place in certain applications but as offfline maps it has too many restrictions - I don't see it working.

Back to OsmAnd for me for now . Looking forward to 3.1
    05-08-12 11:20 AM
    Good question.
    05-08-12 11:22 AM
    After reading the instruction manual I am still unclear on how to use GPS Record... help!
    05-08-12 11:25 AM
    I get this error when I turn on navigation...
    It detects my location
    I select a point on the road by matching it to the cross
    And then I select get directions...
    It gives me an error saying... " An error occurred in determining the directions"
    I tried both versions of the map..
    I even tried selecting hotels in the area...
    It detects the hotels close by and when I select the hotel it still gives me the same error..
    Tried restarting the app
    But can't get navigation to work...
    05-08-12 11:26 AM
    Good question.
    I don't know if I've got all the zoom levels covered. All of Ottawa, plus a bit of the outskirts, took about 150 MB.

So it doesn't look like you can fit all of North America in 20 GB.
    05-08-12 11:38 AM
    is anyone able to download the additional voices? or is it one of the in app purcasing issues that is going to be resolved in PBOS 2.1
    05-08-12 11:43 AM
    @Willard814: Once GPS is detected, the 4th button in the app bar is the record GPS button. Selecting that will display a little dialog with the current date and time for the default filename. When ready, select the record button. It will show the duration and the number of pts written to the file. When done, select the stop button. The file will be in your documents directory with the filename + .gpx.
    05-08-12 11:46 AM
    @bbaleno: There is an issue with App World that we are working with to figure out why they cannot be purchased.
    05-08-12 11:47 AM
    @cavemen: Email support with the waypoint addresses that you are using. It could be an OSM issue, but not knowing the waypoints you are using, hard to tell.
    05-08-12 11:48 AM
    I don't know if I've got all the zoom levels covered. All of Ottawa, plus a bit of the outskirts, took about 150 MB.

So it doesn't look like you can fit all of North America in 20 GB.
    Hard to calculate the actual size - you have remember that a tile of magnification X in a city contains a heck more data than a tile of the same magnification in a rural area.... so is Ottawa considered a rural area ?.lol
    05-08-12 11:50 AM
    Hard to calculate the actual size - you have remember that a tile of magnification X in a city contains a heck more data than a tile of the same magnification in a rural area.... so is Ottawa considered a rural area ?.lol
    Ottawa is 80% rural.

I should try NYC or Paris.
    05-08-12 11:53 AM
427 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD