When i launched the app, the screen turns black, the map didnt load. Tried via wifi and bridge.

I also hope they have the option to use Google maps.

I uninstalled the trial already.

Ast
    05-07-12 10:38 PM
    When i launched the app, the screen turns black, the map didnt load. Tried via wifi and bridge.

I also hope they have the option to use Google maps.

I uninstalled the trial already.

Ast
    05-07-12 10:40 PM
    Yea... there is something not working. I cached about 125mb of tiles. I then close the app, then turn off my data. Re-run the app... and then no maps show up. If I go back into the menu, it still says I have 125mb of cached maps. So the data is there somewhere... just not showing.

App has a lot of promise. I hope they can get these issues sorted out. I really like the UI.
    05-08-12 01:23 AM
    I installed it, get to the options, then I saw this... "translation". Why are you using automatic translator?! It's unusable, total disaster, don't know what is what. Save and savings are not the same thing, don't you think? It's really unusable. And I can't force it to plan a route, some kind of error. App deleted.
    05-08-12 02:10 AM
    Been playing with it for several hours. The whole tile caching works with saved routes fine - that's the good news (length of time to download a route and file size leaves a lot to be desired tho). As far as using it for anything else it's not with the effort.

Each zoom level requires its own tile - each has to be done manually. If an area is saved on a certain magnification and an adjacent one on a higher/lower white areas will be displayed.

It would appear that with the internet connected no check is being performed to see if a tile is already in cache - one can move back and forth between two tiles a(or what would appear to be two tiles since it is hard to get the exact same display each time )and they will be cached over and over again. Can someone confirm this?

The real show stopper is that search does not search saved tiles, one has to be on line to find anything. Completely useless.

Personally I don't like the tile concept, from what I see I'd have to upgrade my pb to 64gb if I want to get all maps/levels for the quebec and ontario . The fact the the user has almost no control over saved tiles isn't good either. I used to have tomtom on my treo (still do) - 700mb covered all of North America, down to street level.

Overall I like Magellan, the offline maps? Back to the drawing board.
    Last edited by StanWiz; 05-08-12 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Additional info
    05-08-12 04:30 AM
    I am trying the trial.
    Tried caching a route that I will be using later this month.
    Used the same zoom level for the entire highway trip then several zoom levels for the destination town and the city I live in.
    Now when disconnected I get random blank tiles in the city and town and the opposite on the highway, more blank tiles than map.
    The app showed it had cached 23.3 MB of data.
    At one point I checked and it had files pending but the Save Pending button was not available. Maybe the pending files would have been more than the 50 MB limit of the Trial version?
    Anyway, until I know it will do what I need I won't be buying it.
    05-08-12 05:00 AM
    Did it finish caching all the tiles prior to your closing the app? You can try running the route again and wait for it to finish caching all pending tiles. Unfortunately ,depending on how much space is required, it might delete your previously saved ones.
    05-08-12 05:12 AM
    I had asked this previously but not sure anyone who is having white tiles issues in cache mode answered the questions previously posted.

1. Are you saving your route in the directions screen AND saving the cache?
    2. Are you opening the route in the directions screen after you restart the app with Internet off running cache mode?
    3. Don't run the Get Directions again after you open a saved route, just go to the map, the route and tiles should be there.

Sorry if you have been doing this as described, I just thought I would mention it as it wasn't clear to me initially and didn't seem to work until I did all the above steps.
    Last edited by kjm2010; 05-08-12 at 06:20 AM.
    05-08-12 06:18 AM
    I wasn't actually planning a route with the software. I just followed the route I would use, caching the maps along the way. The caching at all zoom levels in the urban areas.
    StanWiz; the software showed that it had tiles in the pending cache but the button was inactive. I tried again this morning and it downloaded a lot more.
    I keep getting a popup saying I had reached my daily limit, I assume part of the Trial. That was at 7:00 AM so the day went fast.
    To the developer; Trial software should be just that. I want to try the software not a limited crippled version of the software.
    05-08-12 06:33 AM
    It's so pretty and the little tone it makes when the app starts! This PB is gonna send my to the crazy house! Now that we have turn by turn it's time to invest in a car mount! I'm gonna mount this puppy right next to the radar detector, that ought to get the wife all worked up! I could hear er now, "why all the gadgets?" Your married to a nerd sweetheart, now punch in the coordinates so we can ride ma lady! lmao
    05-08-12 06:52 AM
    @princesultan: Are you still having this issue? We're not hearing this from anyone else. Try re-installing the app. Verify that you have permission to write to the "Files" under (device preferences/security/app permissions). We will look at your email later today to see what is happening in your particular case. In the meantime, just to make certain. Uninstall the app, restart and then re-install. Email us from the blog on support email in the app with the results.
    05-08-12 07:06 AM
    In regards to Yelp. Most reasons why it may not show too many businesses is that the businesses are not properly categorized in Yelp. We want to improve the interface with Yelp, but we just ran out of time.

We moved away from Google maps, because they are no longer supporting ActionScript, do not allow for map caching, do not provide a traffic API, did not provide enough information to do turn-by-turn guidance to name a few. The only thing that was really good about them, is that in some places, their map and satellite images were pretty good.

We will make every effort to make cache by region in 3.1. The app was already months overdue, so it was a trade off between continue to develop to every possible feature gets done, or push it out to see if there is a market for the new features.

In terms of white screens, there are areas that appear to be trying to load. Please verify that there are no pending tiles being saved and that BOTH WiFi and Bluetooth is turned off. If you have specific issues, please contact support via email.

In terms of guidance end points. You can select an start/end point by selecting a POI, entering a lat/long, entering an address, selecting a place of business. Other than selecting a generic point directly on a map, what other methods of entering waypoints are people looking for? You can also ceate a marker at the map center from the search button. We tried to capture all the typical ways people find a location.

Tiles are loaded from cache after they have been saved. If you do pan back and forth, it will not get the cache tile because it has not been saved yet. Activity in the app suspends tiles being saved. If not, the app would be non-responsive.

Also, there might be tiles "pending" but if the user does not set a maximum cache limit, then nothing will be saved.
    05-08-12 07:08 AM
    Other than selecting a generic point directly on a map, what other methods of entering waypoints are people looking for? You can also ceate a marker at the map center from the search button. We tried to capture all the typical ways people find a location.
    I am just looking to be able to create a waypoint where I put my finger or a cursor and then insert this into the route. Is that possible now.

I tried the app again on the drive this morning, but the GPS never got a signal and since I was the driver, I didn't have the ability to run the Playbook through a reboot cycle. Do you have the ability to reset the GPS with software?
    05-08-12 07:15 AM
    To create "via" point, select the current 2 point route on the map and a pop-up menu is shown which allows you to insert the via point near the point of selection.

We have no control over the GPS signal or updates. That is all controlled by the device. The only thing that has worked for us is to restart outside. Best results when the sky is clear.
    Willard814 likes this.
    05-08-12 07:22 AM
    I'd actually pay for a marine chartplotter app. A native one. Not android. When i find out an app is android it gets deleted.

Navionics, garmin, nobletec, raytech, whatever. C-map compatibility so i can use already purchased charts.

Navionics promised a blackberry app over 3 years ago. Still waiting.
    How hard can it be to send your existing Android app, Navionics, to be converted to a *.bar so that it can be run on the PlayBook. Even a few extra thousand Navionics software users ought to make that worthwhile!!

Us navigators tend to spend money. We use stable, trusted hardware and apps. Not toys. So please support us, guys.

Have a safe summer!!
    05-08-12 07:29 AM
    I have the 2.2 paid version, but I can't find the v3 on Appworld. How do I find it?
    Try restarting your PB and then go to App World.
    05-08-12 07:52 AM
    Took it out for another second test drive this morning. The turn-by-turn worked except that I lost satellites in 1/3 of the way to my destination. Not sure if it's the PB's chip problem or just bad weather.

Anyway, I would really like to see the following features (would even pay $1.99 for an upgrade):
    1. Cache by region (this will be in 3.1 as we are told)
    2. Rotatable map (someone already mentioned this) so the blue pointer is always up as an option.
    3. Larger cache limit (I've got like 39GB free on my PB). I think a 8GB limit is not a bad idea.
    4. 3D view
    05-08-12 08:03 AM
    I'm tempted by this app but not convinced yet...

Can you create waypoints just by clicking somewhere on the map? I do a lot of off-road navigation and have to plan my routes with GPS coords waypoint or simply by pointing and placing a waypoint in other softwares...

Will Magellan let me do this?
    Edit: i said no, but you can actually do it.
    Last edited by stuka85; 05-08-12 at 09:29 AM.
    05-08-12 08:04 AM
    You have broke one of my most needed and used apps. the icon will not track center of map. the maps have trouble rendering or loading. the icon will move to the top left of the screen whjile there is a small x in the center. I need this fixed or the old working version back.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    ralfyguy likes this.
    05-08-12 08:11 AM
    what a waste of time and money on this thing.

keeping my trusted GARMIN and scrapping this idea. Did any of you read the terms and conditions.. LMAO!! too funny.
    something along the lines of , we have the right to not update , fix bugs etc etc.

Enjoy my $5.99.....
    05-08-12 08:21 AM
    @KennethD: Have you tried rebooting? Map centering with GPS update depends on the GPS of the device. This also assumes that you have that turned on as a preference or from the GPS icon along the left side.
    05-08-12 08:26 AM
    @princesultan: Are you still having this issue? We're not hearing this from anyone else. Try re-installing the app. Verify that you have permission to write to the "Files" under (device preferences/security/app permissions). We will look at your email later today to see what is happening in your particular case. In the meantime, just to make certain. Uninstall the app, restart and then re-install. Email us from the blog on support email in the app with the results.
    hmmmm... i think i actually unchecked the box when it asked for permission to write to the files when it loaded for the first time. maybe that's it?

like i said, when i tapped on the ball icon, absolutely nothing would happen (ie. the manual wouldn't open). also, when i tapped on save in the directions menu, nothing would happen and again, when i tapped on open nothing would happen.

i'll give that a go when i get home later.

i already uninstalled the the app, restarted and then installed it. did it a few times.

i believe i emailed that email address last night.
    05-08-12 08:30 AM
    If you cannot open the user doc then you definitely dont have permission to save files to the shared area. We will make a note to warn the user when this occurs.
    05-08-12 08:36 AM
    I am trying rebooting. You should know I use your app quite often and it always worked well for me. which symbol now centers me on the map? its notnthe one it used to be.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    05-08-12 08:36 AM
    Took it out for another second test drive this morning. The turn-by-turn worked except that I lost satellites in 1/3 of the way to my destination. Not sure if it's the PB's chip problem or just bad weather.
    The attached file is a nice little GPS app it shows how many satellites your connected to,
    signal strength, accuracy and so on, its a nice companion program to use with
    Magellan, Mapdroyd or anything that uses GPS and takes a long time to connect.
    I've been using Mapdroyd allot and if you go any appreciable distance since the last time
    you've connected to GPS it can be brutally slow, but if you run GPS Test first it connects
    much faster and seem to have more authority over the GPS in terms of keeping it
    conected.
    I've signed and tested the app.
    Last edited by Mr_Bunny; 06-04-12 at 01:05 PM.
    StanWiz and Harryl6134 like this.
    05-08-12 08:38 AM
427 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD