@StanWiz: The map caching saves anything you pan and zoom into. All map levels. The tiles do not save right away because the app would be unseable. It periodically saves pending tiles. If you want to force the pending tiles to be saved, you can do that under preferences/map. Map tiles have no concept of city, state or country. We plan to include a geographic region in 3.1. We just ran out of time for 3.0. The route map cache is a work around so you can create a diagonal route of the region want to save and then it will go from a min level to a max level to automatically capture as much as the route shows. Not perfect, but it works.
    I understand how map caching works. Here is my dilemma - I'll be flying to LA in a week and won't have Internet access. I plan to rent a car and drive around.; would be nice to use my pb to navigate. Guess I'll have to prepare in advance... and make sure that my cache is large enough so that it doesn't get overwritten.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the time and effort that went into creating this app, I'm sure that many improvements are on the way.
    05-07-12 06:44 PM
    Yes you can. Preferences, Map, Cache Limit (change to 500-1Gb).

Have a play, it's pretty easy to figure out. Save the pending tiles, all good.
    Is the trial more limited to cache space? I see "No caching or 50mb."
    05-07-12 07:01 PM
    That's correct. Trial version max cache space is 50MB.
    05-07-12 07:04 PM
    @StanWiz: Map cache by region seems to be the #1 item. Probably not in time for your trip to LA, but it will be in 3.1.
    mcmolineux, Bobcat665 and StanWiz like this.
    05-07-12 07:05 PM
    When will Map-->import be working?
    05-07-12 07:08 PM
    Honestly this app is driving me crazy. The offline maps is awful and requires tons of preparation. I just spent 45min caching a 500km route which used 120mb. I turned wifi off. Go back to the app. The gps finds me. I then do a search for the location I already cached but magellan wasn't able to find the location (I assume it requires an Internet connection to find a location). I'm about to throw this pb at the wall

Edit: does a manual exist for this thing???????!
    Last edited by princesultan; 05-07-12 at 08:02 PM.
    05-07-12 07:14 PM
    @ralfyguy: If you are getting white tiles instead of white tiles with a icon of a circle with a diagonal line thru it, then it thinks you are still connected. Try quiting the application, then turn off all network connections (bluetooth, WiFi) and then restart the application. To have increase performance, it only checks for network connection once at startup.
    OK I followed this to the dot on i. I forced saving pending tiles, waited for it to finish. 1.8MB in cache. I closed app, turned off all network connections. Started the app, and I get white tiles with circle and diagonal line through it, then it changes to "loading", then loading disappears from all tiles until I get a blank screen of white. App cache still shows 1.8MB. Where is the cache?
    I made sure wifi and bridge is off.
    05-07-12 07:36 PM
    OK I followed this to the dot on i. I forced saving pending tiles, waited for it to finish. 1.8MB in cache. I closed app, turned off all network connections. Started the app, and I get white tiles with circle and diagonal line through it, then it changes to "loading", then loading disappears from all tiles until I get a blank screen of white. App cache still shows 1.8MB. Where is the cache?
    I made sure wifi and bridge is off.
    Did you go to directions/route menu and open your saved route, then go back to the map? I also notice you must be at the same zoom level(s) that you cached when you saved them or you get white tiles if you haven't zoomed in/out very much.
    Last edited by kjm2010; 05-07-12 at 08:07 PM.
    05-07-12 07:48 PM
    Not good news ...
    I was about to purchase the app, but not now.
    Sorry you gave up Google Maps.
    05-07-12 07:51 PM
    @StanWiz: Map cache by region seems to be the #1 item. Probably not in time for your trip to LA, but it will be in 3.1.
    Yeah, definitely #1. If you could cache the tiles at all levels (so you get minor streets, etc.) for a whole region at once, which should allow for offline re-routing, I really think this could be a "killer app" for the Playbook, and you could charge twice as much since it would be a replacement for a standalone GPS.
    05-07-12 07:58 PM
    3.0 is great. Works very well. But
    In the next version can you make the blue arrow a bit bigger Maybe twice the size. And have the option to turn the circle surrounding it off, and thirdly can you add an option to rotate the map so it is always in the direction you are going. Also I noticed while I was at a light that my location kept changing to the point that the program thought I was driving backwards and told me to take a uturn.

Great work I like the look and feel off Google navigator but it is way too buggy I ditched it today shorly after getting your app. Now to download lots of voices to support you guys even more

05-07-12 07:58 PM
    @kjm2010: Sound like you are tracking with GPS updates as well. Turn off tracking and then you will be able to pan.
    I tried changing gps on initial to 'nothing' then hit save. If I pan or click the next route segment at the bottom of the map view, it momentarily scrolls to that route segment then goes back to the start/currently. Location. Seems like if I only pan after opening an existing route it stays put, but once I hit the next segment arrow at the bottom of the map view, it then scrolls back even when using pan. This happens with wifi and cached.

Also, after loading a cached route using open, I get a spinning wheel that never stops? This is with all Internet off.
    05-07-12 08:04 PM

Edit: does a manual exist for this thing???????!
    Yes, swipe down, second icon from the right, it looks like a soccer ball (football - for those not of the North American sport persuasion.)

Also, if you save your route in the Directions screen, you can just open it again from a list without searching when using cache or Internet mode.
    Last edited by kjm2010; 05-07-12 at 08:16 PM.
    BBP2012 and sailorguy like this.
    05-07-12 08:13 PM
    Yes, swipe down, second icon from the right, it looks like a soccer ball (football - for those not of the North American sport persuasion.)

Also, if you save your route in the Directions screen, you can just open it again from a list without searching when using cache or Internet mode.

Well that's weird because when I push the ball icon absolutely nothing happens.

Also when I tryto save my route in the directions screen, again, nothing happens. I clicked save like a million times and then tried to click open and nothing happens! I'm going nuts.

I installed the trial first then I purchased the app, maybe something is messed up?
    05-07-12 08:20 PM
    Well that's weird because when I push the ball icon absolutely nothing happens.

Also when I tryto save my route in the directions screen, again, nothing happens. I clicked save like a million times and then tried to click open and nothing happens! I'm going nuts.

I installed the trial first then I purchased the app, maybe something is messed up?
    That is odd!...assuming you tried a reboot, sounds like the app developer needs to make a suggestion. My load was a clean new load, not an upgrade.
    05-07-12 08:44 PM
    Did you go to directions/route menu and open your saved route, then go back to the map? I also notice you must be at the same zoom level(s) that you cached when you saved them or you get white tiles if you haven't zoomed in/out very much.
    OK I did a route, worked fine with network on. Didn't change the zoom level, cache increased and all tiles saved. Closed app and turned network connections off. Same story, no cache shows up, even though it shows 3.9MB in cache. That is worthless. The previous version on Google Maps also zoomed in closer. The final zoom level will not show anything. I have no idea what I am doing wrong, but this thing doesn't work for me.
    I wish I hadn't upgraded. I loved the old version, because everything worked for me.
    05-07-12 08:50 PM
    This is terrible. Absolutely terrible. Wasted my whole evening playing around with this junk app. I uninstalled several times and rebooted. Still no dice. Sent an email to o2, really hoping this gets resolved soon.

1 thing I noticed was that the trial version was a higher version number than the one that's for purchase. If there's a developer here, please help!
    05-07-12 08:55 PM
    This is terrible. Absolutely terrible. Wasted my whole evening playing around with this junk app. I uninstalled several times and rebooted. Still no dice. Sent an email to o2, really hoping this gets resolved soon.

1 thing I noticed was that the trial version was a higher version number than the one that's for purchase. If there's a developer here, please help!
    I did the same thing. Just reinstalled it, left the initial map alone, saved 20MB worth of tiles, closed the app, didn't change any other setting, let the GPS find the location, turned network off and opened the app. White screen with diagonal lined circles. I am getting tired wasting my time as well. I just want the older build back, because at least it worked right. There is NO map caching in this build, period! It shows it did, but it actually does not. At least not on my version.
    05-07-12 09:13 PM

Even I can't get it to work for navigation.... I have a request... Could we have a better way to select the end point instead of typing in the address or the lat/long...

I even tried to insert the lat / long from Google Earth but it still gave me errors... I an compiled to use the OSM...
    05-07-12 09:19 PM
    OK I did a route, worked fine with network on. Didn't change the zoom level, cache increased and all tiles saved. Closed app and turned network connections off. Same story, no cache shows up, even though it shows 3.9MB in cache.
    I only see the white tiles with the line through it when I am in cached mode and outside my route or wrong zoom level. Did you save the route on the directions/route screen, then open it when you were off the Internet in the cached mode or did you just restart the app with Internet off?

Also, I'm in the US using Mapquest as the map type.

Outside of that, sorry, I'm out of suggestions, hopefully the developer has more ideas for you.
    05-07-12 09:26 PM
    By the way, the pdf manual is located in the Misc folder.

The one route file I created is in the documents folder:

spokane.rtg

I looked quickly but don't know if the map cache files are visible or hidden by the app.
    05-07-12 09:39 PM
    Right now it is saving over 500 tiles. It is counting down slowly. Weird thing is that if you force saving pending tiles it counts down really fast. The free storage on the device doesn't change either. Where does it go? There is no activity on the router either while it is saving. So what is it actually doing?
    05-07-12 09:43 PM
    Nearly 600 tiles, or 50MB saved in the last half hour. Turn off networks, open the app and nothing is there. Reinstalled the app over a dozen times with PB hard reset and reboot as well, no dice. I give up. I made a mistake today, upgrading my old trusty version.
    05-07-12 09:55 PM
    I'm tempted by this app but not convinced yet...

Can you create waypoints just by clicking somewhere on the map? I do a lot of off-road navigation and have to plan my routes with GPS coords waypoint or simply by pointing and placing a waypoint in other softwares...

Will Magellan let me do this?
    05-07-12 10:17 PM
    Version 3 of Magellan Compass for the BlackBerry PlayBook has been released to App World. Magellan Compass is the #1 ranked mapping application for the PlayBook and version 3 brings even more top features to the consumer on mobile tablets.
    I have been using Magellan since ver 1 and love it. I just installed ver 3 on my PB and am having trouble loading it. All I get is a blank screen. The pull down menus are there so it appears to be loaded. I checked the operation of my GPS using GPSinfo and it connects with no problems. I tried rebooting my PB. Any suggestions?

Reinstalled the App and it is working now. Now to learn what is new in Ver 3.
    Last edited by hackerguy; 05-08-12 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Solved problem
    05-07-12 10:26 PM
427 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD