I still can't get Magellan Compass V3 to find me on GPS. Starting to give up on this app.
    05-23-12 09:19 AM
    GPS on the device is not sensitive. It is not an app issue, but a well known device issue. Try restarting the device outside, under clear skies. That should reset/reinit the GPS sensor on the device.
    05-23-12 09:40 AM
    I still can't get Magellan Compass V3 to find me on GPS. Starting to give up on this app.
    The main suggestion is outside, open view of sky and download the FREE Compass app from appworld. Give it 15-20 minutes. The Compass is is pretty bare but generally does a good job of finding satellites. If that works, try Magellan or other app. If you move a far distance or don't use the gps for a while, it can again, take time to find satellites.
    05-23-12 10:43 AM
    That's not very feasible for use in real life application. Until RIM improves the GPS sensor, any GPS / navigation app is useless for me on the PlayBook.

I find it odd that one application (compass) can triangulate your location / contact satellites faster than another app. Both should be using the same API's to access the GPS sensor.
    05-23-12 11:32 AM
    That's not very feasible for use in real life application. Until RIM improves the GPS sensor, any GPS / navigation app is useless for me on the PlayBook.

I find it odd that one application (compass) can triangulate your location / contact satellites faster than another app. Both should be using the same API's to access the GPS sensor.
    I agree. If the Playbook's GPS sensor isn't good enough, then no software will ever be useful. I, too, have heard that Compass does a pretty good job, so my hopes are on RIM improving the GPS API. (The author of Compass said he's doing something special at the moment until RIM gets the official GPS API together... or so I recall reading from a post.)
    05-23-12 02:55 PM
    I agree. If the Playbook's GPS sensor isn't good enough, then no software will ever be useful. I, too, have heard that Compass does a pretty good job, so my hopes are on RIM improving the GPS API. (The author of Compass said he's doing something special at the moment until RIM gets the official GPS API together... or so I recall reading from a post.)
    Sensitivity must vary from device to device. I've had my PB since first release. I had trouble only initially, before the first update, haven't had a problem since. It even works indoors albeit less accurately as long as the room has a decent size window. I have been in many states with it too, so I don't think it's my particular home region that is the reason it works well; no problems in a car or outdoors.
    05-23-12 05:23 PM
    Sensitivity must vary from device to device. I've had my PB since first release. I had trouble only initially, before the first update, haven't had a problem since. It even works indoors albeit less accurately as long as the room has a decent size window. I have been in many states with it too, so I don't think it's my particular home region that is the reason it works well; no problems in a car or outdoors.
    From the various threads it is very hard to decide if there really is a problem with the gps in the pb or if apps are poorly designed or if people do not give the gps sufficient opportunity to pick up satellite signals expecting results that mirror their cell phones. It is quite possible there are issues but any of the above factors may contribute to reports of problems.

Again, my NOT-cheap hiking Garmin with a good chip does not like looking for satellites when I'm inside my home. It also can take a while if I have not used it in a while or traveled a further distance with it off. The garmin can also take a bit longer if I turn it on while in a moving car as its orientation or direction of travels appears to throw it off or slow done acquisition.

Odd, I can't find the FREE Compass app (I was just going to install it on the RMA 32gig I just got back from Rim). I think it is GONE????
    05-23-12 06:09 PM
    So the Free Compass that is great as a gps test app is gone from Appworld? Darn!!!!!
    05-23-12 06:10 PM
    Some users have reported receiving an error when doing route guidance. If you do, it might have to do with the locale setting of the device. Route guidance will attempt to translate the directions into the language locale setting. It appears that not all languages (or sub-locales) are supported. Please try a top level setting (English-US,French-France, etc.) and see if the error goes away. If it does not, please message or blog us with your issue so we can narrow this problem down. We are working with Map Quest to resolve this issue.
    05-24-12 08:34 AM
    i used it this weekend to do a 5 hour drive from canada to the states. worked relatively well and gps worked just fine.

the only major problem with this app is that is requires a heck of a lot of preparation for offline usage. if you deviate from the route, forget it, because it won't recalculate the route.

the app itself is great, but the offline usage requires wayyyyyyyyyyy too much time to plan. hopefully something can be sorted out with this in a future update.
    05-24-12 08:53 AM
    v3.1 will allow you to cache map data via a region and min-max levels. That should help. You currently have the ability to cache data long a route.
    bbaleno likes this.
    05-24-12 09:55 AM
    what about routes being re-calculated if you go off route?
    05-24-12 11:24 AM
    Routes are calculated off the Internet against OSM. If you are off route and connected to the Internet, it will automatically re-route. On device routing is not offered yet.
    05-24-12 01:03 PM
    Some users have reported receiving an error when doing route guidance. If you do, it might have to do with the locale setting of the device. Route guidance will attempt to translate the directions into the language locale setting. It appears that not all languages (or sub-locales) are supported. Please try a top level setting (English-US,French-France, etc.) and see if the error goes away. If it does not, please message or blog us with your issue so we can narrow this problem down. We are working with Map Quest to resolve this issue.
    This was it! I didn't even realize I had another region selected. Thanks!
    05-24-12 08:52 PM
    jtegen,
    Fixed my problems when I changed from
    English-Australian to English-US.

Note for others - this is in the Main Playbook setting, under Language.
    Last edited by moa999; 05-24-12 at 11:41 PM.
    05-24-12 10:51 PM
    jtegen:

Spent a fair amount of time resolving down the problem to a simply form I can explain.

In USA using OSM and English - US. In the reduced explanation, I can duplicate the problem every time. I have cleared the cache several times, and rebooted PB multiple times.

1. I wait until GPS finds my stationary location with WiFi connection available.

2. I start out with zoom level 5. I slowly zoom all the way in. I check the preferences and there are 87 tiles pending. I "Save Pending" and wait for the process to complete. It does complete properly, BUT the cache limit never increases. (set to 500mb - current is 1.9mb)

3. I go offline, restart MC, zoom in again and see missing tiles (white with circles)

4. I can repeat this process over an over with the same results. Appears MC goes through the actions of saving the 87 tiles....but is NOT actually doing it. This is supported by the facts that the cache size does not increase and some map tiles are missing when I go offline and zoom in.

Can you provide any ideas concerning this?
    05-25-12 12:58 PM
    I'm getting frustrated with this app not finding addresses. how do you get itnto navigate if it doesn't find the address?

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    05-27-12 07:14 PM
    First decent test in Australia now that I have got my settings English-US.
    Using Metric, OpenMaps, all overlays ex POI turned off.

Used on a 25km three-point journey in Sydney. Downloaded route on WiFI had home, about a 30Mb buffer. Tethered to a Bold 9700 (note tethered as I dont have BIS on my plan).

Spoken directions worked perfectly once it realised I was moving (2km in!)
    Purposely went off-route and it recalculated OK, but then lost it and I had to untether and retether.

Worked OK over final 15km (single main road up till last 1km) but kept giving spurious off-route message and the cancel button didn't always work. Think more leeway needs to be given before it prompts off-route.
    Also gave some rather advance warning at one point (turn right in 3km !)

Other minor quibbles with App:
    Keeps moving focus back to current GPS location - annoying when you are route planning.
    Can't delete a POI listing.
    POIs don't always appear on the map unless you go in and try and create a new one.
    When you try to create a new POI Flag it will jump back to last flag, ideally would be better not moving the app focus.
    No built-in POI features in Australia - eg can't find nearest Airport (using South Pac settings as assumes this should include Australia)
    05-28-12 01:41 AM
    @B4me: Let's see if this still exists after v3.1 is released. We're working on some final testing on Yelp and have to update the documentation. So we are hoping to have v3.1 out this week if all goes well.

@KennethD: This should be a lot better in v3.1. Please send us a blog message at blog.o2interactive.com with the addresses you are having problems with so that we can make certain all the test cases are doing better. v3.0 managed addresses in a "structured" way, and in v3.1 it is more "unstructured" or free form, so it should do a lot better.
    05-29-12 07:19 AM
    @moa999: You might want to check OSM in your area. If the OSM data is off from reality, then the GPS is not in sync with the actual road and you will get those errors. You can edit OSM roads to make that situation better.

* You probably have GPS tracking turned on. That is why it is jumping back to your location. You can toggle that off under the GPS button on the left or by selecting the GPS icon on the map to turn off tracking.

* You can delete POIs by going to the POI preferences page from the layer menu and the gear icon next to "Points of Interest". There you can delete or edit POIs, deleted and edit bookmarks. POIs belong to a bookmark. You can have any number of bookmarks. Selecting a bokmark from the bookmark app button (flag icon) will display the POIs for that bookmark. The last selected bookmark is used the next time you start the application (and will show its POIs).

* We will look into why the data source is not finding information for the Australia. Might be a data issue, but unfortunately, we do not have any control over the contents of this data source. We plan on providing additional POI databases in later releases that might help coverage.
    05-29-12 07:28 AM
    @B4me: Let's see if this still exists after v3.1 is released. We're working on some final testing on Yelp and have to update the documentation. So we are hoping to have v3.1 out this week if all goes well.

@KennethD: This should be a lot better in v3.1. Please send us a blog message at blog.o2interactive.com with the addresses you are having problems with so that we can make certain all the test cases are doing better. v3.0 managed addresses in a "structured" way, and in v3.1 it is more "unstructured" or free form, so it should do a lot better.
    A status update , regarding 3.1 ,would be appreciated.
    06-01-12 12:09 PM
    @jtegen: Regarding the Dutch translation: if you can send me the original English language files (and 'demands/parameters' such as max. field lengths etc.) I'll gladly translate them to Dutch if it's not too much work.
    Or at the very least please create an option to manually select a language so I don't have to change my Playbooks language selection (I'm Dutch but strongly prefer English in the current version of the software).
    06-03-12 01:58 PM
    Message on blog.o2interactive.com
    that 3.1 was ready to roll on 1-June, but delayed by some changes to RIM's try and buy policy.
    Cant find any other references to this on the interwebs.
    Willard814 likes this.
    06-03-12 10:05 PM
    Message on blog.o2interactive.com
    that 3.1 was ready to roll on 1-June, but delayed by some changes to RIM's try and buy policy.
    Cant find any other references to this on the interwebs.
    There were some changes to the vendor portal that made it impossible to post version upgrades to apps that are Try and Buy.
    06-04-12 12:20 AM
    @tisbox. We will try to get you a file to allow for a better dutch translation. Give us a few days.
    06-04-12 07:06 AM
427 ... 1112131415 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD