07-23-12 06:18 PM
427 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    Couple suggestions for next upgrade.
    1. Would be nice if turn by turn text had either larger fonts, or maybe a 'tap' on it gives you a momentary zoom to full screen for the text only. It's a little tough to read the text when PB is on the dash.

2. Seems the Icons for specific highways, displayed near the time/distance values on the bottom of the screen, partially obscures the most significant time digits.

3. Time/distance number's black fonts are hard to see on bright days when PB brightness autodims from full,. Maybe use White fonts, or better yet, white for distance, yellow for time.

Also, there is a sound made during a route that sounds like a wave or spring sound (it is not the beeps). What is this indicating?

I do like the early warnings on merging, don't get that with my Garmin
    05-10-12 07:24 PM
    The "spring" sound is a warning that you are exceeding the user defined max speed limit. This can be a "sound" or a "voice" under preferences.

We've taken note about the other suggestions mentioned.
    kjm2010 likes this.
    05-11-12 07:12 AM
    Hi jtegen,

Took the gps out for a test run this morning. Liked what I saw. I can see this being a good tool for my job.

Couple points for me,
    - The screen does not centre while tracking. It just stays at my starting point.
    I am obviously missing something here. Can ya tell me where the option is to turn the auto re centreing on?

- I turned off my bluetooth to see what would happen. I can see the biggest flaw for this app in being that if you are in the States, (I live in Canada) there would be huge roaming charges and also when home the potential for large cell bills as the gps goes on the web to regenerate the map as it tracks. This would be a killer for me if that is the case. Maybe you can clarify what is being used here. Maybe the data packets are not that big when they download and this is not really an issue.

Thanks for your help, and so far, great app.
    05-11-12 10:36 AM
    You can recenter the map with the GPS. You can set this as a preference under GPS. You can also do this from the GPS button on the map and on the physical GPS marker icon by selecting it.

If you pre-cache data as you need it and have it stored on the device. If the map data is on the device, it will use that, else it will try to get it off the net (assuming some network connection exists). For routes, it will re-route if you go off route and you have the option to cancel it. If there is no network, re-routing will not occur.
    05-11-12 11:08 AM
    I can see the biggest flaw for this app in being that if you are in the States, (I live in Canada) there would be huge roaming charges and also when home the potential for large cell bills as the gps goes on the web to regenerate the map as it tracks.
    The roaming data is the biggest flaw in any unit that uses cellular data. Sometimes the app developers, (not this one in particular) forget that the whole point of mapping programs is for use travelling, which in the case of USA/Canada can mean $1 per mb when roaming in another country.

I used Magellan Compass in March when travelling in Maine and used about 5mb on the trip from Bethel to the Canadian border at Houlton. That was about 250 miles. My Rogers bill from Houlton to Fredericton shows about 9gb. It could get expensive if you are using it alot.

The caching option is a brilliant idea when traveling a predetermined route like I was on my ski trip to Maine. This was prior to the caching option and we found in the more rural areas, the cellular was slow or non existent, so cached maps would have been beneficial.

Jetegen, you might want to put an option in the program to use cached only and then when there is no cached prompt if you want to load more detail. That way you would not have to deal with connecting and disconnecting bridge to ensure no extra data was used.
    kjm2010 likes this.
    05-11-12 11:25 AM
    I'm having some issues with computing routes. I live in southern Ontario, Canada and plotting a route from my town results in some really odd results.

Owen Sound, Ontario to Guelph, Ontario is linked via Highway 6. Oddly, about half way to Guelph the route turns left and takes a convoluted route via another highway and secondary roads.

I've tried several routes point to point and some do very similar things - ie the route should be a straight line, but the plotted route is a series of turns and secondary roads.

Suggestions?
    05-11-12 12:00 PM
    All routing comes indirectly from Open Street Maps. I guess I would start there to see how the streets are defined in that area (connection, road types, speed). OSM gets updated into the routing side in less than 2 days.
    05-11-12 12:41 PM

Jetegen, you might want to put an option in the program to use cached only and then when there is no cached prompt if you want to load more detail. That way you would not have to deal with connecting and disconnecting bridge to ensure no extra data was used.
    Good idea!, I agree!
    Options might need some thinking through though, maybe like: internet and cache, cache only, prompt for internet on reroute and POI. It might be tricky to prompt on zoom though as it's hard to keep track of what zoom level is cached so to scroll in and out may leave you on internet for the rest of the trip when you only wanted to zoom with internet for one or two tiles.
    05-11-12 12:47 PM
    FONT SIZE
    Is there a way to change the map font size? When sitting on the dash, it is pretty much unreadable.
    05-11-12 01:37 PM
    Which aspect? The street names on the map, POIs, dashboard, traffic incidents?
    05-11-12 02:22 PM
    its there a problem with saving preferences they dont seem to stick. I have checked program permissions.
    05-11-12 02:34 PM
    is there still a problem with in app purchases or is it me
    05-11-12 02:56 PM
    yes, i save openstreemaps as the default map, and when i restart the app it goes back to mapquest.
    05-11-12 03:38 PM
    I like to use it to show traffic as I drive along. Could you make traffic a permanent setting so I don't have to set it every time the app is used.
    05-11-12 03:47 PM
    Downloaded the trial and played around with it for 2 days and decided it was worth the $5.99. Thanks for the hard work and the app.
    05-11-12 06:21 PM
    Which aspect? The street names on the map, POIs, dashboard, traffic incidents?
    Sorry Jtegen
    Yes the street names. Can we decide which size we want them?
    Oh and one other thing. What about a night mode. A way to change the map colors to be used at night.

We sure don't ask for much do we.
    05-11-12 10:25 PM

If you pre-cache data as you need it and have it stored on the device. If the map data is on the device, it will use that, else it will try to get it off the net (assuming some network connection exists).
    Does it do this (check cache first) per route, or per specific tile?

Also, am I correct that the GPS auto center needs to be off when auto caching a new route? Otherwise it seems to retrace the route over and over again continuously increasing the pending cache with the same tiles.. Or is there another setting or steps I have incorrectly set or done that would cause this?

Thanks again.
    05-12-12 06:50 AM
    Suggestion:

Pick one thing to fix or one feature to implement. Get that one thing working right and publish a minor update (or call it a patch, maybe) and get that out the door. Rinse and repeat as often as needed. Alternative, set a schedule of weekly or monthly (or whatever works for frequent updates) and stick to that schedule, doing whatever needs to be done that can fit within that schedule.

Simultaneously, decide what needs to be in version 4 and work on that in parallel. Charge a small upgrade fee for version 4 of a dollar or two to help support continued development, but full rate ($6) for those who are not upgrading.

I think you'll get more customers and have a better product this way. I do not think anyone would mind paying a dollar or two for a new version when some new key features get added - speaking for myself, I would be happy to do so and would consider it a good deal since I got a discount on buying the new version!
    05-12-12 08:36 AM
    Thanks for posting. Just downloaded the trial after reading this thread and will test it out for my drive to RI today.
    05-12-12 08:59 AM
    I agree with Westronics.
    Anybody who complains about paying $6 for this app is just not understanding what goes into the building of a properly running and well done app. This is not your every day crap that we seem to see all to often in the App World. This is quality work.

As I had said in a previous post, I pay $400 - $600 every few years for a new gps unit. I am a professional driver and this would be a tool in my work, and not a toy. The investment in it would be worth it.

Keep up the great work in its build. Your doing awesome.
    05-12-12 09:43 AM
    I agree with Westronics.
    Anybody who complains about paying $6 for this app is just not understanding what goes into the building of a properly running and well done app. This is not your every day crap that we seem to see all to often in the App World. This is quality work.

As I had said in a previous post, I pay $400 - $600 every few years for a new gps unit. I am a professional driver and this would be a tool in my work, and not a toy. The investment in it would be worth it.

Agreed. I paid $200 for my crappy entry-level Garmin. That's the price I paid for my PB!
    05-12-12 09:48 AM
    I agree with Westronics.

I agree, you guys don't seem to be "One and Done" developers, I would much rather pay for your continuing development, then have a static app. You definitely stand out in terms of native design. I wish more developers (and Users) would get it, that Native apps are worth the premium $. Even $10+ for a good native app (and equal quality development support) is worth it to me. It's like the new BlackBerry Ad...... DO YOU?BlackBerry - TV advert (60&#39 - YouTube
    05-12-12 10:10 AM
    I'm using it on the road as we speak. Works pretty well, one thing it keeps doing at random is when it tells me about approaching the next turn, and then turn where she said I should, she then says I took the wrong turn, although I didn't. It then rerouted and I'm still on the correct road. So frequent false alarms although GPS signal was strong.
    05-12-12 11:16 AM
    I'm using it on the road as we speak. Works pretty well, one thing it keeps doing at random is when it tells me about approaching the next turn, and then turn where she said I should, she then says I took the wrong turn, although I didn't. It then rerouted and I'm still on the correct road. So frequent false alarms although GPS signal was strong.
    We're they expressway interchanges? I get those even with my Garmin from time to time likely due to ramp layout changes over the last couple years.
    05-12-12 02:54 PM
    its a good map app, good search function, but a sat nav needs to have offline maps and the cach function is not good enough and did not even work for me... ok for a rainy day but far from a decent sat nav, too many flaws... i dont get why people make such a big deal with it, goes to show how desperate we are for a sat nav app... it does not even have direction option so you are allways facing in your traveling direction.. i found the voice anoying as well as if it tells you when ur going over bump as well... too much..

best map app for PlayBook, nowhere near a sat nav.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    05-12-12 03:13 PM
427 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD