Version 3 of Magellan Compass for the BlackBerry PlayBook has been released to App World. Magellan Compass is the #1 ranked mapping application for the PlayBook and version 3 brings even more top features to the consumer on mobile tablets.

Version 3 was months in the making to make certain the top requested features are provided to the market place. Some of the new features include:

* Map Quest and Open Street Map data and service provider (replacing Google Maps)
    * Auto map caching. Map data is automatically stored to the device to allow for quicker access and allow for off-line map use.
    * Enhance map guidance including drag endpoints, intermediate waypoints, route optimization and various ways to define or select waypoints.
    * Voice turn-by-turn guidance without Internet connection. Alternate voice available.
    * Real-time Traffic overlay
    * U.S. Weather Radar overlay
    * U.K. Traffic incident overlay
    * U.S. Airport status overlay
    * Multi-method address lookups
    * Audible speed limit warning (beep or voice)
    * On-device help

These enhancements are new to some of the cool features already available including:
    * Flickr overlay
    * Yelp overlay
    * Multiple map finger controls for pan and zooming
    * Highly configurable preferences
    * Clear UI design
    * Custom bookmarks
    * Custom Points-of-Interest (POIs)
    * Multiple map types
    * Route tracks recordings to GPX files (importable to Google Earth and more)
    * Multiple GPS dashboards
    * Weather forecast

Some services still require an Internet connection and future release will continue to improve upon the great feature set available to increase off-line use.

Full release notes can be found on the o2 interactive blog at o2 interactive.
    05-05-12 04:20 PM
    Looking forward to seeing the update. Yippee!
    Willard814 likes this.
    05-05-12 05:24 PM
    I have the 2.2 paid version, but I can't find the v3 on Appworld. How do I find it?
    05-05-12 05:29 PM
    Guessing that the update hasn't been approved by RIM yet.
    05-05-12 05:39 PM
    It was just released to App World. It takes RIM a few days to review updates and release it to the users. Depending on how often your App world cache is updated and where you are in the world, the timeline to be notified will vary.
    05-05-12 05:44 PM
    Awesome been waiting for this. Hope it works well.
    05-05-12 05:58 PM
    If you do find an issue (it was beta tested for a month), please contact us at blog.o2interactive.com so it can be addressed. It is not helpful when users submit a bad review for a bug because we have no way to get in touch with them to understand the issue and get it resolved.

Also, if users are still getting GPS issues, it is not the app, it is the device. Just restart the device outside under clear skies to resync with the satellites.
    05-05-12 06:23 PM
    Sweeeet
    05-05-12 06:32 PM
    It's worth noting that the app can be downloaded here: Buy Magellan Compass Maps - Download Magellan Compass Maps - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World

It's a great app and well worth downloading.
    05-05-12 06:39 PM
    Great news!

Now that the maps are not from Google... Will the maps be US specific or it can be used anywhere in the world...?
    05-05-12 09:34 PM
    Have high hopes for this application. Is there going to be a price change with very 3?
    DC506 likes this.
    05-05-12 09:46 PM
    Have high hopes for this application. Is there going to be a price change with very 3?
    That would be nice.
    05-05-12 10:15 PM
    Howcome it says version 2 in appworld?
    05-05-12 10:47 PM
    Read the thread.
    Version 3 will show up when RIM is ready to add it.
    glassofpinot likes this.
    05-05-12 10:48 PM
    Sorry too excited to read haha
    05-05-12 10:51 PM
    Great - I just bought a Magellan GPS for the offline capability and here's offline now available for my PB . Ah well...

PS anybody know how to convert a Garmin custom map (Garmin format but created by a special interest group, not sold by Garmin) to Magellan format?
    05-05-12 11:22 PM
    Still waiting for it to show up in App World and notify me that there is an upgrade available....
    05-06-12 06:52 AM
    so i can use maps offline with this???
    05-06-12 07:10 AM
    ...if users are still getting GPS issues, it is not the app, it is the device. Just restart the device outside under clear skies to resync with the satellites.
    "Clear skies"?

05-06-12 07:21 AM
    From my perseption, seems similar to latitude. how it will be different From Google's latitude with navigate?
    05-06-12 07:26 AM
    so i can use maps offline with this???
    Click on the link in post one of this thread and read.
    05-06-12 07:27 AM
    @cavemen:
    Maps are provided by Map Quest and Open Street Maps (OSM). OSM seems to be better in non-North American areas. You choose for your region.

@rwd:
    Map data is automatically cached from Map Quest and or OSM. It does not import data from other sources at this time.

@JeffyPooh:
    Sorry, "Clear skys". It was late.

@princesultan:
    Yes, maps are stored off line was originally accessed off the Internet. It has an auto-caching mechanism. You specify the maximum amount you want to allow for map data and when that it reached, it will remove older map tiles to make room for the newer ones.

@digitalman101:
    Magellan Compass has many different overlays to see data (weather, airport status, UK traffic incidenets, Yelp, Flickr) and more are planned. It allows for off-line map and has voice turn-by-turn guidance. You can choose alternative voices as well. All mapping and guidance apps will be similar in a lot of ways. Some map apps work better for some and not others.
    digitalman101 likes this.
    05-06-12 08:54 AM
    when should we expect a marine version?
    05-06-12 09:48 AM
    This is great news.

A couple questions though... I know it downloads map tiles and stores them until you reach your cache limit, but is it possible just to download all map tiles up front and store them all? I have 64 GBs of space that needs filling! If not, I would have to map out my route from home while I have wifi, and then it automatically caches the data?

Also, if you buy this version, would you get access to version 4.0, 5.0 etc. when they eventually come out? Or do you have to rebuy each time? If I bought the 2.2 that is currently available, would it automatically update me to 3.0 when it's available?
    05-06-12 11:39 AM
    Yes, this update sounds like it is going to make the GPS a great feature in the PB.

Now to start searching for a good car mount!
    05-06-12 12:58 PM
427 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD