Some features request:

1) map rotation, same direction as where you are going
    2) already better than v3, but still room for improvement
    3) improve creating POI interface, very poor UI, barbaric. Take a look at google maps from ios.
    06-20-12 11:14 PM
    Sorry for the 2nd post, to add on the features request:

4) creating, deleting and editing a bookmark is such a pain. The check and x mark is just so confusing please help!

To add, this funny thing happened to me a while ago, i tried to test use my Magellan Compass again on my way home. Everything went fine until i caught up to a traffic, but i was suprised that the blue arrow.on the compass was still moving along the highlighted route, complete with turn by turn!! And even reached my supposed to be my final destination!! So, what happened there?!
    Last edited by ast_ph; 06-22-12 at 03:53 AM.
    06-22-12 01:13 AM
    The App World downgrade to v1.3 still continues after the minor v3.1.1 update. We are working with RIM on this, but they seem to be baffled in why it is occurring, but they do see it by download reports.
    06-22-12 08:19 AM
    I got 3.1.1 just fine

My previous issue with tile caching hanging seems to either have gotten fixed or was just a network issue as I have successfully cached the same area recently.
    06-22-12 08:28 AM
    @ast_ph: It sounds like you may have lost GPS connection. The app tries to fill in the space between actual GPS updates. It the marker continued on its way, that would indicate that GPS did not update to correct that progression.
    06-22-12 08:29 AM
    @hytran: Yes, v3.1.1 corrected the tile cache hanging. It was very odd and varied with location and level. It works really well now that we will probably relax the limit on the number of levels that can do at one time (eliminating the panning to get the region you needed). We did the entire state of NJ and took about 20 hours to get down to the street level, but we got it all. Probably be a few days for that.
    06-22-12 08:32 AM
    Question? Does it keeps the screen on, besides the backlight and stand by settings?
    Does it prevent the playbook to go to stand by?
    06-22-12 08:38 AM
    @hytran: Yes, v3.1.1 corrected the tile cache hanging. It was very odd and varied with location and level. It works really well now that we will probably relax the limit on the number of levels that can do at one time (eliminating the panning to get the region you needed). We did the entire state of NJ and took about 20 hours to get down to the street level, but we got it all. Probably be a few days for that.
    Awesome
    06-22-12 08:48 AM
    Yes, the screen does not dim when it is the active app and the device "application behavior" is "default".
    06-22-12 10:18 AM
    Playbook GPS works fine with Mag. 3.1.1 "offline" not connected to the Internet but it cannot navigate to specific. Points. Keep getting "error occurred in determining the direction. Would be nice to have it working, and as reliable as my 2 Harmon.

Thanks for your help.
    06-22-12 02:43 PM
    3.1.0 released June 7th, 3.1.1 June 20th and it is now June 23rd and I still can not get anything over 1.3.0.

Something has to be done, I paid for this app and all updates.

Somebody please, get your act together, be it App Store or o2.

3.1.2 is out and still getting 1.3.0.

o2 please ask RIM to delete all versions from App Store except latest and see if this helps.

July 4th
    Finally got the right version, now I have to read all about it and learn.

Thanks
    Last edited by biff101; 07-04-12 at 02:19 PM.
    06-23-12 06:57 PM
    It works really well now that we will probably relax the limit on the number of levels that can do at one time (eliminating the panning to get the region you needed).
    Thats really good news, panning, zooming, restrictions on amount of tiles, if I wanted this much aggravation I'd just get my wife to read a map, but I do appreciate how hard your trying, keep up the good work.
    06-23-12 07:13 PM
    Does GPS Record work yet? I would really like to use this feature especially on hikes.
    Which map system is better "Open Maps" or "MapQuest"?
    06-24-12 09:33 AM
    Does GPS Record work yet? I would really like to use this feature especially on hikes.
    Which map system is better "Open Maps" or "MapQuest"?
    I'd recommend you get Sportypal for your 9900. While the 9900 is not listed, the app from one of the other models should work. Sportypal is more what you are looking for.
    mincanada likes this.
    06-24-12 09:49 AM
    jtegen, when driving and using Megellan 3.1.1. It does track my movements, but once I go outside the visible map it does not scroll the map with my location.

Is there a setting I have set wrong?
    06-24-12 10:51 AM
    Come on jtegen.. I still can't download the new version from Dubai. What's the issue
    06-24-12 12:03 PM
    I would like to suggest the author of this app watch over the shoulder of some first time users of the app navigate through the UI. Do not tutor them as they do it - just observe where they draw a blank and take those moments back to the drawing board.
    robkd likes this.
    06-24-12 12:21 PM
    Come on jtegen.. I still can't download the new version from Dubai. What's the issue
    Did you even bother to read any of the posts in this thread regarding this issue? I would assume that if the author could fix App World problems for RIM, the issue would be solved.

Geez...
    06-24-12 01:03 PM
    @mattma: You can track the map with GPS by selecting the GPS marker on the map or the GPS button on the left of the map. You can also set this as a preference.
    DataWrangler likes this.
    06-25-12 07:38 AM
    Yes, GPS record has been there for some time. It creates a GPX file. You can control the resolution of the updates in both time and distance.

What map system is better? That depends on where you live and needs. OSM is used during guidance, but if you "browse" the maps, it all depends.

Guidance still requires an Internet connection to get to that service (along with other services). Map caching just saves a lot of time when cached locally.

App World is still trying to figure out what is going on with the downgrade issue. A user let us know that they contacted App World and they were able to get a refund on the app and then re-purchase it and they were able to get the current version. We are not recommending this just yet (since it is a pain and we would just like RIM to fix the problem), but for those in a bind, that is an option. We also encourage anyone still in the situation to contact App World support and complain to them about this issue. Do not let them tell you it is a developer issue; it is not. The more people complaining about it, maybe more resources can be thrown at resolving the issue.
    06-25-12 07:46 AM
    I would like to suggest the author of this app watch over the shoulder of some first time users of the app navigate through the UI. Do not tutor them as they do it - just observe where they draw a blank and take those moments back to the drawing board.
    I tried to use it yesterday on a short (1.5 hour one way) trip. I wasn't driving so I could adjust it all I wanted and I had my PB bridged to my BB. I finally gave up on Magellan and opened Google Maps on my BB phone instead.

Before leaving I cached all the panels at every resolution along the route. Even still, as we did not take the (rather stupid) route it offered, it was missing lots of panels. OK, I understand since I didn't specifically cache them.

It was impossible to find a setting to keep our location centered in the map and have the maps slide around us.

I kept turning the voice and alert off and it kept turning them back on. I finally just muted the PB.

I want to use Open Streets Maps but it kept switching to Map Quest. Maybe it does this if OSM panels don't exist where you are. I don't know.

Overall, it was frustrating and I gave up. I've used many, many GPS navigators and have a good understanding of how they work. This one has a way to go yet.

All that said, I'm willing to accept I don't yet know the subtle changes that will get it working the way I want. Maybe that is it but, for now it just seemed like it did not work well.
    06-25-12 08:14 AM
    So... Why is it there is no trial? When it used Google as the map service provider it had a 7 days trial.

Dear dev, what's the proble with adding a 7 day trial?
    06-25-12 09:52 AM
    I thought I recall reading that the "trial option" now a new Rim problem? It does not work properly when people try purchasing?????
    06-25-12 10:28 AM
    I had a rather frustrating experience today. I went on a trip and used the guidance, but lost GPS often. That was due to the fact that I put the PB in standby to not to have the screen eat the battery like a seven headed caterpillar. There were long stints in between turns, so i thought no need to keep the screen lit. Well the app doesn't work that way. Then when I followed the directions, after every turn the voice kept telling me to make a U-turn. That was incredibly annoying. Eventually the voice told me to put her in the back seat because I don't follow instructions that well anyway.
    Does this app not work running in the background with the screen off? There is no need to look at the screen all the time, because occasionally I have to look at the road as well.
    Another thing is that I have it set to recenter in Directions mode by default, but it tracks instead letting the cross hairs run off the map. Why would I have it in track mode on the road? That is pointless. I have to manually set it to recenter regardless of the setting on startup.
    I think I use the caching feature and just read the maps on the side of the road the old fashioned way.
    06-27-12 11:31 AM
    Maybe I missed it, but are there any tutorial video's? I'm coming from using google maps & a Moto Droid 1 & I haven't been disappointed any many apps I've purchased in the app world, I will say this was the most expensive I purchased & the one I've been the most UNhappy with.

I too tried to bridge through an area where data connection was good & finally gave up. Don't know if it's the software or the PB.
    06-30-12 08:21 AM
427 ... 1415161718
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD