@arig77: To say the name, the app would require text-to-speech (TTS) functionality. That would require either an Internet connection to convert the text to an audio format or an expensive TTS engine on the device that no one would probably be willing to pay for. There were discussions that BB10 would have native TTS, but until that is possible in terms of both cost and the ability to support multiple languages, it would not be supported in the app.

Once a route is created, you can drag the start and end waypoints to new locations. You can also select the route to display a menu that allows you to insert a "via" waypoint that can then be dragged and the route will be automatically re-routed.
    05-16-12 06:42 AM
    Jtegen: can i ask why everyone is switching to open street maps from google maps? Even apple, switching to open street maps.
    05-16-12 06:43 AM
    Thanks. I have the BBOS version on my Torch and like it a lot. I had checked a couple of months ago for a Playbook version and they didn't have it. I never thought to check again.
    Yes, the developer converts the Android version automatically and post it (we nicely asked for it at the TB forums :-) ).
    Both for BB and PB, I suggest you use tbtar format, as it will be quicker to transfer the resulting map to the device rather than tb classic format (zillions of tiles/image files).
    Wolf.
    05-16-12 06:57 AM
    @ast_ph: Good question. For one, it is free and updates are from the community (again free). OSM is very popular in non-US/CA countries and pretty darn accurate. In the US, it is not as accurate as "paid" service because I think most people, up to now, paid for map information via one provider or another. It is nice to edit or add a road or river or bridge in your home area and within a day or so, see the updates on your device or map app.

Google has great looking maps and their associated services are very good in and out of the US. I suspect Apple will be doing what Map Quest does. Use OSM for the basis of their data, but enhance it with their own information to make OSM better (kind of premium OSM). Google is making it harder for 3rd party developers to use their services. Some SDKs are being discontinued and they have begun charging for others. Unless an app is based on HTML5 Google maps, you can expect that those products will stagnate.

Lastly (IMHO), Android phones are competing very well with Apple phones. Apple needs to provide "better than Google" in many aspects and since maps are a critical piece of software for mobile devices. I can only imagine some of the cool features Apple will bring to their own map app.
    05-16-12 07:30 AM
    FYI: We packaged up the 2.2 version of Magellan Compass that utilized Google Maps into a new and separate app (now v 2.3) for those that loved the pre-v3 version of Magellan Compass because it had Google Maps and not the v3 Map Quest and OSM maps. This will give us time to determine the best way to include Google Map data into the v3 line of Magellan Compass without violating the various terms and conditions of the different map providers. People do love their Google Maps.
    05-16-12 08:24 AM
    FYI: We packaged up the 2.2 version of Magellan Compass that utilized Google Maps into a new and separate app (now v 2.3) for those that loved the pre-v3 version of Magellan Compass because it had Google Maps and not the v3 Map Quest and OSM maps. This will give us time to determine the best way to include Google Map data into the v3 line of Magellan Compass without violating the various terms and conditions of the different map providers. People do love their Google Maps.
    Now that is the way to give the customer what they want as much as possible.
    05-16-12 09:56 AM
    Thanks for offering this, I purchased that version as well.

There's one thing that nags me on v3, I have my default maps set to MapQuest, and initial GPS set to recenter. After a new directions route, which uses OSM and then closing the app and reopen it, it changed the settings to track on initial GPS and use OSM. So every time I used directions I have to go to settings, change it back and close it and then open it again to have it where I want it again.
    Or am I doing something wrong?
    05-16-12 10:01 AM
    No, that is a bug we hope to get resolved in v3.1.
    05-16-12 10:20 AM
    No, that is a bug we hope to get resolved in v3.1.
    Thank you for the info.
    05-16-12 10:24 AM
    I lost my cached maps a couple days ago. I had used it on Mother's day to navigate to a restaurant. When I tried it on Monday for the drive to school, the map cache was empty.
    05-16-12 10:33 AM
    Thank you very much for giving us the details about Google Maps on my previous post, and also uploading the Google Maps version of Magellan.

Now, I have one more question, hope you don't mind. I noticed that with our iOS devices, when we launch the Map Apps, we can center-in on our location right away even we're not outdoor, can we achieve this in PlayBook?
    05-16-12 02:14 PM
    There is a preference to recenter the map when GPS is first received. A second part to your question (I believe) deals with more about if the device can read GPS inside. The GPS receiver is not very sensitive, so it does not do well indoors. This all depends on where in the world you are and the type of building you are in.
    05-17-12 06:55 AM
    Anyone with any success outside us/UK/canada

Have now managed to get magellan to find addresses in Sydney, but getting "An error occurred in determining directions"

Same happens if I try two ny addresses.
    Changing map sources or location back to north America makes no difference.

Any other sgns

Edit. After deleting and reinstalling, just trying ny addresses still getting the error.
    Last edited by moa999; 05-18-12 at 06:46 AM.
    05-18-12 04:08 AM
    There is a preference to recenter the map when GPS is first received. A second part to your question (I believe) deals with more about if the device can read GPS inside. The GPS receiver is not very sensitive, so it does not do well indoors. This all depends on where in the world you are and the type of building you are in.
    I think iOS (Apple) is using "routers" around the world to help pin point locations on the map then GPS signal is not available, I think I heard it from one of Steve Jobs' keynote about their Maps app.

Anyway, you have re-released v2 of your Magellan compass app for Google Maps, will you guys still be developing this? Or the version in AppWorld is the last version for v2?

Hope to hear from you!

PS. I bought Magellan Compass v3.
    05-19-12 09:33 AM
    Since I bought the software, I've had a chance to try it out a little, and I'm impressed. When I first fired it up inside the house, it pinpointed my location in about five minutes. When bridged to my Torch 9800 in the car, it takes about 30-45 seconds.

On the first road test the software tracked our location very well. Tried again yesterday, and had the same results.

I haven't tried the turn-by-turn features yet; I want to read thru the manual first.

Overall, it's hard not to like it; ATT wants $9.95/month for their phone navigation system.
    Given the one-time price for this, I spent $19 on a cupholder mount to hold the PB.
    05-19-12 09:34 PM
    Whats the difference between the google maps version and the original apart from the price.
    05-20-12 07:17 AM
    I think iOS (Apple) is using "routers" around the world to help pin point locations on the map then GPS signal is not available, I think I heard it from one of Steve Jobs' keynote about their Maps app.
    In BlackBerry world that's called LBS -Location Based Services- and was included on the platform years ago (BlackBerry Location-Based Services), but to be honest, I don't know how the functionality reflects on the PlayBook platform (NDK, AIR, WebWorks).
    Wolf.
    05-20-12 09:27 AM
    I just purchassed Magellan Compass V3. I like it but I have an issue:

I managed to make a few routes, but I can no longer add any new routes. Each time I select Get Directions I get the message "An error occured in determining the directions".
    This happens whatever the cities at the start and end of the route are, even when there are very close, and whatever OSM or MQ is selected.

Thanks for any help.
    05-20-12 11:38 AM
    Whats the difference between the google maps version and the original apart from the price.
    Many differences, but the biggest one is V3 allows turn by turn cached maps, so you can save routes/map tiles while connected to the Internet, and run the routes with Turn by Turn offline without the Internet.
    05-20-12 03:33 PM
    I can only add an street address but no house number so compass can never find a route it will just time out. Is my verison 3 different
    05-20-12 03:53 PM
    v2 of Magellan Compass is an interm solution until we can integrate Google Maps into v3 without violating the numerous terms and conditions between the various data providers.

v2.x Google Map version is the version prior to all the enhancements to the v3.

@mbond1: Please go to our blog (blog.o2interactive.com) and send us the addresses you are trying to route between so we can look deeper into the error you are getting.

@kool2: You should be able to enter the house number into the street text field.

In v3.1, the address lookup will be more free-form. In v3.0, it is "structured" but in doing so, has caused a few issues with some addresses.
    05-21-12 06:56 AM
    @kool2: You should be able to enter the house number into the street text field

Yes, I can enter the number but still times out

Didn't have no problems in v2.0

I see in the User's Guide in v3.0 the "Add Address" page hads the Number and Street.

Thanks
    Last edited by kool2; 05-22-12 at 06:01 AM.
    05-21-12 02:19 PM
    The only problem I am running into us a non-specific error message when I try to get directions. I am starting from my gps location and pick another address. I have a good 3g signal and solid bridge connection. Same as post 288
    Any ideas?
    05-21-12 07:30 PM
    We are working with Map Quest to see why some are receiving an error in the guidance. For the same directions, we're not getting the error. Others are having no problem. Once we (or MQ) determines why it is occurring, we will let everyone know what the next steps will be. We're getting close to v3.1 in being done (lots of cools things).
    05-23-12 06:38 AM
    Anyone with any success outside us/UK/canada

Have now managed to get magellan to find addresses in Sydney, but getting "An error occurred in determining directions"

Same happens if I try two ny addresses.
    Changing map sources or location back to north America makes no difference.

Any other sgns

Edit. After deleting and reinstalling, just trying ny addresses still getting the error.
    I am still struggling to get Magellan to find addresses in Perth! Until I can get it to do that I will have to consider the application pretty useless.
    Last edited by carsten; 05-23-12 at 07:08 AM.
    05-23-12 07:03 AM
427 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD