Thanks everyone for the answers.
    The file security resolved 1 and 3.
    For 2 - too bad we can't search while offline, it would have made the pb a great navigation device.
    05-08-12 08:36 PM
    I have a couple of problems/questions.
    1) No help comes up when I push the soccer icon next to the ? icon.
    You need to turn on Magellan's permission to access files.
    Go into Playbook setting ->Security->Magellan->allow Magellan to access files.
    Then when you hit the soccer icon a pdf will extract to misc directory.

It will be here-> Playbook/accounts/1000/shared/misc

Same thing happen to me, after uninstalling and reinstalling three time I clued in.
    Willard814 likes this.
    05-08-12 09:20 PM
    How hard can it be to send your existing Android app, Navionics, to be converted to a *.bar so that it can be run on the PlayBook. Even a few extra thousand Navionics software users ought to make that worthwhile!!

Us navigators tend to spend money. We use stable, trusted hardware and apps. Not toys. So please support us, guys.

Have a safe summer!!
    i don't install android apps. if i wanted android apps i would have bought an android tablet.

navionics promised a blackberry charting app, has to be close to 4 years ago. said it was coming shortly. still not here. call them out on it and they won't comment. not sure how a ported app would handle downloading vector charts over wifi. i'd prefer to preload charts from a cmap card or cd to the tablet, and select the chart area needed from within the app. in fact, that's not a preference, it's how you do it with full blown chart plotters and charting software. unlock code loaded in the software to use your desired chart(s). if i already have the chart pack i just need the unlocks.

using stable, trusted hardware and apps means native software, not something ported to run on an emulator.
    05-08-12 11:25 PM
    Since after updated to v3. All i get is a blank screen now. Once I had uninstalled and installed again, it worked for a day. but today again the problem has come up. My other gps apps get the fix fine. so its not a problem with gps as i see it. I have tried restarting too. Here is my gps setup.
    05-09-12 05:07 AM
    Apologies as i did not think the images would be shown right up here. for the above post.
    05-09-12 06:06 AM
    What I do - WIFI on, open Magellan compass and wait for GPS signal. Once it find my location I go to Add->address and type some...in this case address in city (Varna) 447 km from my location (Sofia, Bulgaria). Once it is found I click to Get directions and the app create it. Then I go to Map cache and click Start. It takes around 5 minutes the I save it and exit the app. When I check thru Files and folders there is 515 kB file. Then I turn WIFI off, start app, wait for GPS signal, Open - click to previously saved cache name and.....I get the direction marked with blue line and voice command but there is no map loaded to my screen. It is white screen with blue line showing my direction. Am I missing something? If yes could you please be so kind to advice?
    05-09-12 06:24 AM
    Map Rotation: This is a known bug with Map Quest.

@ast_pc: Set the preference to track with GPS to auto-recenter. If you have a network connection and you are off route, it will auto-reroute.

@dbwoo & Todor Ninov: If you quit the application right after caching the data, you did not give the application time to store the cached data. You can force the storage under preferences/maps. This will hopefully be faster in 3.1.

Address search is a network service.

Map data is stored with the application. It is not user accessible.
    05-09-12 06:41 AM
    Thanks for your prompt reply. I wait till guidance apear on the right side of the screen. Then I click Save and quit the app.
    05-09-12 06:59 AM
    This is a fantastic app, one of the best native ones available for the playbook.
    Much improved by the update to version 3.
    05-09-12 07:00 AM
    Thanls Stuka. Just a bit further on that, so can you zoom in and out ok, or does it only cache the zoom level you saved the trip at?
    im not sure, but i think if you just pan aroung the map it will only cache the zoom level that you are panning, if you cache the route thru the menu, you can select there the zoom levels.
    DanTheDriver likes this.
    05-09-12 08:29 AM
    I have not read all 210 posts but will say that this app is decent. Still needs some work. Garmin it's not but then again it's not $100 either.

It showed me going 121mph when i was going 65.

It had me going 30 when I was stopped at a light.

If you divert from the directions it wants you to go it doesn't not recalculate quick enough.

The traffic feature is very nice and was accurate the past couple of days.

Like I said it needs some work and I'm willing to invest the $5.99 in it.

Looking forward to future upgrades.
    05-09-12 08:40 AM
    Caching occurs at any zoom level. For routes, you can specify a min and max level to auto-traverse to cache the missing tiles.
    05-09-12 08:41 AM
    @EdS817: Any error in speed or location has to do the quality of the GPS being received. Some times GPS will jump to give inaccurate information. We have no control over the device GPS ability to obtain data in your area. For example, in our area, the GPS is within 1 meter and speed +/- 2 MPH.
    05-09-12 08:44 AM
    If you divert from the directions it wants you to go it doesn't not recalculate quick enough.

The traffic feature is very nice and was accurate the past couple of days.

Like I said it needs some work and I'm willing to invest the $5.99 in it.

Looking forward to future upgrades.
    I agree with the statments above. also while I was standing still it though I turned around and head the other direction.

I am not trying to bad mouth it, just putting the information out there so it can be worked on and corrected. great app
    05-09-12 08:48 AM
    @EdS817: Any error in speed or location has to do the quality of the GPS being received. Some times GPS will jump to give inaccurate information. We have no control over the device GPS ability to obtain data in your area. For example, in our area, the GPS is within 1 meter and speed +/- 2 MPH.
    Can you use the compase for direction. and do some error checking if the speed increased or decreases to rapidly. if the car was going thirty and 2 seconds later its doing 70 chances are its wrong, unless you have a real nice car. Im not a programer so so it may not be that easy
    05-09-12 08:54 AM
    I am just playing around with the program to download more tiles and I think I just realized why there is so much to download. Are the tiles bitmaps or vector based? I am assuming they are a bit map, because if they were vector based, the program should be able to zoom in and out with the existing tile data.

I am just thinking out loud, as this whole tile thing seems to cause a lot of delays. I am used to using marine charting programs such as Nobeltec and Nobeltec is much more responsive even using bitmap charts. I have used it for many years so the pc/laptops in the early days would have had far inferior processors/hardware than the PlayBook. Would having the opportunity to just buy a whole map region so we can have less tile loading help the speed for scrolling around, zooming in and out?
    05-09-12 09:07 AM
    We tried something like that to smooth out the GPS data, but it caused more problems then it solved. When the car is accelerating and decelerating rapidly, smoothing out the data gives a lead or lag in the data that introduced more error. We will make a note of it to see if we can see if the GPS is weak/jumpy that smoothing might help.
    05-09-12 09:10 AM
    There is a balance between tiling, size to download, memory used with tiles and finally load time. You want the app to be responsive. Larger tiles take longer to download, longer to load from files and takes up more memory if the larger tiles is much larger than the actual screen size. The other trade off if using vector data (e.g. OSM) that you have to download a lot of data (could be more than the raster images), to then have to composite a scene based on zoom level. So in this case, you have to download a lot of data that might never be shown. For sample, the US weather radar overlay are tiles, but it took months of development to find an optimal size, fidelity and depth to load and display in a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks for your interest in helping to improve the product.
    05-09-12 09:18 AM
    There is a balance between tiling, size to download, memory used with tiles and finally load time. You want the app to be responsive. Larger tiles take longer to download, longer to load from files and takes up more memory if the larger tiles is much larger than the actual screen size. The other trade off if using vector data (e.g. OSM) that you have to download a lot of data (could be more than the raster images), to then have to composite a scene based on zoom level. .
    Just to clarify, OSM is vector, MapQuest raster? I noticed yesterday that I was using OpenStreet Map for my cached maps and switched it to MapQuest this morning. Would one or the other be quicker once the tiles are cached? Which will use less data when bridged?
    05-09-12 09:49 AM
    All map data starts out as vector. That is how it is defined. In this app, both MQ and OSM data from the MQ servers is raster. Both would probably be the same. The only main difference would be the size of each tile which depends on the number of colors being used in it. Once cached and stored on the device, load time is faster.
    05-09-12 09:53 AM
    All map data starts out as vector. That is how it is defined. In this app, both MQ and OSM data from the MQ servers is raster. Both would probably be the same. The only main difference would be the size of each tile which depends on the number of colors being used in it. Once cached and stored on the device, load time is faster.
    Thanks for the quick reply and answering all our questions here. I am sure there are a lot of PlayBook users that appreciate the time you have spent creating and supporting the app.
    05-09-12 09:55 AM
    Thank you. We hope. We try to address the needs of the end user. We don't always get it spot on, but we learn and make adjustments.
    jafobabe and rotorwrench like this.
    05-09-12 10:47 AM
    Thank you. We hope. We try to address the needs of the end user. We don't always get it spot on, but we learn and make adjustments.
    I agree you guys provide the best developer user interaction/access I have seen.

Thanks again for the turn by turn, now I can eliminate hauling more stuff on my trips through airport security.. No longer need my gps, its charger and mounting bracket. (PB convertible case sits nicely on the dashboard )
    05-09-12 12:27 PM
    Just a quick 'kudos' to the devs for keeping us posted with help, advice and information. I just bought the app and am happy to support this software company.

Thanks.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    05-09-12 08:05 PM
    I am a tour bus driver and would love to see this app working full force. It has great potential and could be a great tool. At present I am using MS Streets and Trips with great success but would love to toss it and use my PB as my GPS.

I will be watching this one with great interest to see where it goes.
    For me the $5.99 is a very easy price to swallow if the app works great. I pay $400-$600 every 4 or 5 years for a new GPS. I would be willing to pay a big price for this if it did the job.

the weather radar and traffic are great features on this app.
    Now, if you could make it play a sound file when it got to a certain spot on the route...BINGO!
    05-09-12 09:31 PM
427 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD