@ralfyguy: In terms of the flashing issue, we have only see this occur a couple of times and have yet to be able to reproduce it. If you can reproduce the steps that you did to cause this, please email that to us so we can track it down. Just goto blog.o2interactive.com to contact us.
    That was the second time for me as well. The first time uninstall/reinstall was the only fix. The second time restarting the app worked. That kinda reminds me of the Android runtime in some instances.
    What I did was going back to the search after scrolling the map elsewhere surrounding Forth Worth. Then I decided to go back to the location found in the search and that's when it took me back to my GPS location. So tried again and the Fort Worth area came back for a brief moment and then jumped to GPS location immediately.
    05-07-12 12:09 PM
    Just tested it out this morning, and the navigation worked fairly well. Keep up the good work!
    05-07-12 12:11 PM
    Good to know. You do learn a lot about how different regions deal with locating geography.

Also, just in case people have not yet read the on-device user documentation, in the search box, you can enter latitude and longitude. Either as "lat,lon" for nearest address for the give lat/lon or "@lat,lon" to go exactly to the given lat/lon.
    05-07-12 12:11 PM
    Hey Guys ...

All my excitement of this wonderful long awaited application died down when I installed it for the reasons stated below ....

I would have loved to have a feature which would let me select a point on the map with my finger and a small menu would pop up saying "Save to Route" or "Drive" or something .. instead of me feeding in latitudes and longitudes or an address... (This would have been a selling point for me) Most of the address that I typed in resulted in nothing ..

I don't stay in the US so i am stuck with OSM which is not that detailed .....

probably its a fantastic app if you are staying in the US and a definite improvement from its previous version ... all applause to the developers..

I would have really loved to buy this app and use it for navigation but I guess I may just end up buying this just to support the developers...
    05-07-12 12:12 PM
    I have had pannning of the map using the touch screen stop working a couple times. Changing to a different zoom level restored the panning.

I there any way to improve the performance such as larger tiles or larger tiles when cached? It is not quite as fluid panning the screen as a dedicated GPS or a PC running a GPS app.
    kjm2010 likes this.
    05-07-12 12:15 PM
    Once the tiles are stored (vs. cached) it is very fast and seamless. Check that tiles you have access have been stored by looking under Preferences/Map/Pending Tiles.

There are always enhancement that can be done and feedback like this is helpful.
    05-07-12 12:24 PM
    I went to options and tried to download other voices. Asks me to sign into app world and then gives app world error 30242 which appears to be related to in app purchase problems. Are you charging for the other voices? If so how much are they, and can we try them out first to see which ones are most audible (and least annoying) for us. I usually like to try a few and then I settle on one that is clearest to my hearing. I logged this in your blog comments but others will probably want to see answers here.
    05-07-12 01:20 PM
    Nice app., questions/comments:

-When I try to cache a route, I hit START go to the map view and it seems to automatically step through the route. Is this the standard caching taking place? When it's done, and I try to manually pan through the highlighted route it tries to keep scrolling back to my current location which as the start of the route. Is this normal? I am using Mapquest and in the US.

- it might be nice to have a check box in the Directions screen where you save a route to be able to select 'save map cache' at the same time and avoid the preferences screen and extra steps to also save the cached map separately. In other words, one save button on the Directions screen to save a route with or without cached maps
    05-07-12 02:06 PM
    Voice are $0.99. We are seeing the issue as well. We believe the items have not yet been approved by App World. We will contact them to see how best to resolve this. This was one aspect that was not able to be tested during beta.
    05-07-12 02:17 PM
    @kjm2010: Sound like you are tracking with GPS updates as well. Turn off tracking and then you will be able to pan.
    05-07-12 02:18 PM
    Voice are $0.99. We are seeing the issue as well. We believe the items have not yet been approved by App World. We will contact them to see how best to resolve this. This was one aspect that was not able to be tested during beta.
    OK, so 7 additional voices plus the app cost of $6 means the app still only costs $13 for everything so that's a bargain compared to a standalone GPS. I have no problem paying for the voices.
    05-07-12 02:38 PM
    I used it again this afternoon and it seems much more responsive once there is a lot of the area cached. I even tried routing home in rush hour traffic. It wasn't picking my preferred route and I wasn't very successful in adding more waypoints to force a particular route. Is there a way to select a spot on the map and insert it as a waypoint into the route? Similar to how you can drag the route in Google maps to included preferred streets.
    05-07-12 03:15 PM
    Hey Guys ...

All my excitement of this wonderful long awaited application died down when I installed it for the reasons stated below ....

I would have loved to have a feature which would let me select a point on the map with my finger and a small menu would pop up saying "Save to Route" or "Drive" or something .. instead of me feeding in latitudes and longitudes or an address... (This would have been a selling point for me) Most of the address that I typed in resulted in nothing ..

I don't stay in the US so i am stuck with OSM which is not that detailed .....

probably its a fantastic app if you are staying in the US and a definite improvement from its previous version ... all applause to the developers..

I would have really loved to buy this app and use it for navigation but I guess I may just end up buying this just to support the developers...
    i was in the beta and i asked for this feature because i live in Colombia and every address i typed resulted in 0 results, they said that they are having issues getting the address when you select a point, but they worked it and its now working
    Last edited by stuka85; 05-08-12 at 01:54 PM.
    05-07-12 03:39 PM
    Okay here is the thing I don't understand: With cache set to 100MB and saving the pending tiles completely and then losing wifi signal, nothing works concerning the maps. All I get is a white screen with loading tiles. What is the cache and saving tiles for then? Where did this go?
    If the cache is set to zero, no pending tiles are saving. So I set it to 100MB, and then it saves all the pending tiles which took about 1MB. As soon as I try to zoom in, the screen turns white with a bunch of "loading" tiles.
    I just don't understand how the app works.
    05-07-12 04:29 PM
    I just downloaded the trial version and gave it a try. When I use the yelp to find nearby restaraunts and gas stations, it could only find very limited few. Does it work ok for you guys or same as what I found out?
    05-07-12 04:32 PM
    Hi All,

I have just bought it and it works. Could you please confirm that if I save some routes when I have WIFI I can use it when I am on the go without internet connection?
    Yes you can. Preferences, Map, Cache Limit (change to 500-1Gb).

Have a play, it's pretty easy to figure out. Save the pending tiles, all good.
    05-07-12 04:40 PM
    Okay here is the thing I don't understand: With cache set to 100MB and saving the pending tiles completely and then losing wifi signal, nothing works concerning the maps. All I get is a white screen with loading tiles. What is the cache and saving tiles for then? Where did this go?
    If the cache is set to zero, no pending tiles are saving. So I set it to 100MB, and then it saves all the pending tiles which took about 1MB. As soon as I try to zoom in, the screen turns white with a bunch of "loading" tiles.
    I just don't understand how the app works.
    you have to wait for the tiles to be cached on your playbook, down where you set up the cache limit it tells you how many pending titles has the app, just press save pending the app will tell you the remaining time.
    05-07-12 04:44 PM
    I downloaded the trial and the gps isn't finding me. It gives me a warning after a few minutes saying that the application has not received gps updates etc.

What gives?

Edit: ok it took a really long time but it just found me.

My other problem is this: I click on the directions icon and then search for a location. I then click add and then it adds the location on the left. I click on it (it has a green baloon icon next to it) but the "get directions" icon is grayed out. How do I get directions?
    Last edited by princesultan; 05-07-12 at 05:32 PM.
    05-07-12 05:04 PM
    I downloaded the trial and the gps isn't finding me. It gives me a warning after a few minutes saying that the application has not received gps updates etc.

What gives?
    Try reboot your playbook and turn it on outdoors.
    05-07-12 05:28 PM

What gives?

Edit: ok it took a really long time but it just found me.

My other problem is this: I click on the directions icon and then search for a location. I then click add and then it adds the location on the left. I click on it (it has a green baloon icon next to it) but the "get directions" icon is grayed out. How do I get directions?
    I think you might need to have two addresses, where you are and where you want go go.
    05-07-12 05:48 PM
    you have to wait for the tiles to be cached on your playbook, down where you set up the cache limit it tells you how many pending titles has the app, just press save pending the app will tell you the remaining time.
    I did exactly that. I watched it finish saving all the tiles. I just wonder where they went.
    I just tried it again. Watched how all tiles finished loading, counting the down to 0 left. Then I went back to the map view and left the wifi zone. As soon as I pan the map around just a little, I get white areas showing loading. At some point the loading disappears, leaving the particular area white as snow.

What is it what I'm doing wrong?
    Last edited by ralfyguy; 05-07-12 at 06:16 PM.
    05-07-12 06:06 PM
    The offline map caching is disappointing. Guess it works fine for caching a route or the map being displayed, unfortunately it does exactly that - saves the map being displayed. It does not save details not shown - like street names for smaller streets. In order to cache all the streets in a city the map has to be zoomed in to max magnification, this is not practical when it comes to a large city.

If space is not an object the application should allow for caching of an entire country/state or province/ city.

Hope this changes in future updates.
    mcmolineux likes this.
    05-07-12 06:12 PM
    Thank you.

sent from my dalepl rooted timmytim romed rocking smooth Thrive
    05-07-12 06:13 PM
    @ralfyguy: If you are getting white tiles instead of white tiles with a icon of a circle with a diagonal line thru it, then it thinks you are still connected. Try quiting the application, then turn off all network connections (bluetooth, WiFi) and then restart the application. To have increase performance, it only checks for network connection once at startup.
    05-07-12 06:28 PM
    @StanWiz: The map caching saves anything you pan and zoom into. All map levels. The tiles do not save right away because the app would be unseable. It periodically saves pending tiles. If you want to force the pending tiles to be saved, you can do that under preferences/map. Map tiles have no concept of city, state or country. We plan to include a geographic region in 3.1. We just ran out of time for 3.0. The route map cache is a work around so you can create a diagonal route of the region want to save and then it will go from a min level to a max level to automatically capture as much as the route shows. Not perfect, but it works.
    05-07-12 06:31 PM
427 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD