@mcmolineux: It is on our feature list to cache map by region. Right now it is done automatically when you pan and zoom and you have the option to cache along a route from one level to another (e.g. street to city). Map tiles can take a significant amount of space and get refreshed periodically to make certain your information is most current.

You do not rebuy the product when a new version comes out. "Typically", upgrades are free (as in this case). We do not know what future versions and pricing will be. Many services cost money and those costs need to be captured with the price of the software.
    05-06-12 03:24 PM
    @mcmolineux: It is on our feature list to cache map by region. Right now it is done automatically when you pan and zoom and you have the option to cache along a route from one level to another (e.g. street to city). Map tiles can take a significant amount of space and get refreshed periodically to make certain your information is most current.

You do not rebuy the product when a new version comes out. "Typically", upgrades are free (as in this case). We do not know what future versions and pricing will be. Many services cost money and those costs need to be captured with the price of the software.
    Thanks for the reply. So "on the feature list" means it is a feature, or it is on a list to be a feature at some later date? If it is the latter, any idea on a timeframe?

Thanks for the info on the versions. I wasn't sure if a full version update (x.0 to x+1.0) would require a rebuy or not. Fair comment on the future though.
    05-06-12 03:30 PM
    Sorry, it on our future feature list to be considered. No idea of time line. This version was a back breaker to get everything to work. Need to deal with any unfound bugs first, then we will start looking at what 3.1 might look like.
    Willard814 likes this.
    05-06-12 04:16 PM
    This application is exactly what I want from my PlayBook.

I will be purchasing this once v3 is released.

Anyone have a good universal car/truck mount?
    05-06-12 04:33 PM
    From my perseption, seems similar to latitude. how it will be different From Google's latitude with navigate?
    It actually works without crashing all the time! Among lots of other features of course. :-)

It's like comparing Google maps Web Site to a proper Gps Unit.

It's the best Navigation on the PlayBook! Have been testing lot's of different ones.
    k1dirty likes this.
    05-06-12 04:36 PM

Garmin GPS, XM, Sirius, Magellan GPS, Lowrance GPS, TomTom GPS, MIO GPS & RAM GPS Mount Authorized Dealer at MountGuys.com

Have purchased two for testing Magellen, they work great.
    05-06-12 04:38 PM
    This is great news.

A couple questions though... I know it downloads map tiles and stores them until you reach your cache limit, but is it possible just to download all map tiles up front and store them all? I have 64 GBs of space that needs filling! If not, I would have to map out my route from home while I have wifi, and then it automatically caches the data?

Also, if you buy this version, would you get access to version 4.0, 5.0 etc. when they eventually come out? Or do you have to rebuy each time? If I bought the 2.2 that is currently available, would it automatically update me to 3.0 when it's available?
    My 9860 was able to keep up with the downloading of the tiles. Only in rare cases did it struggle.

Voice guidance continues even when the tiles are loading etc so you still receive instructions.

Cache Limit is determined within the settings, you can increase it so it automatically stores more than enough.
    05-06-12 04:49 PM

Check padholdr.com I think it was. Got it for my truck and I love it. Works with the otterbox - after the silicone comes off though. :/
    05-06-12 06:02 PM
    My 9860 was able to keep up with the downloading of the tiles. Only in rare cases did it struggle.

Voice guidance continues even when the tiles are loading etc so you still receive instructions.

Cache Limit is determined within the settings, you can increase it so it automatically stores more than enough.
    I don't have a BB phone though... I am intending to use the Playbook alone for this... no tethering/bridging. Is it still useful under these conditions?

Really what I want is a completely self-contained GPS app that has all of the maps and voice necessary to not have to use the internet at all. I would be more than willing to sacrifice many GBs of space on my PB for this. But since that doesn't exist, I am hoping that this app set at a large cache size will be a reasonable facsimile.
    05-06-12 07:18 PM
    When does v3 come out?
    05-06-12 07:19 PM
    When does v3 come out?
    Did you take the time to read the first post in this thread ?
    05-06-12 07:25 PM

I will be purchasing this once v3 is released. Anyone have a good universal car/truck mount?
    Depends on the interior design of your vehicle. Mine is a bit unconventional (cant do seat bolt, dash, or windshield) so I have to go with this

Amazon.com: Satechi SCH-121 Cup Holder Mount for Smartphones & Tablets: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPad 2, Asus Eee Pad Transformer, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Galaxy 10.1, Viewsonic Gtablet, Blackberry Playbook, HTC Flyer, iPhone 4S, BlackBerry, HTC

Comes with two mounts, one for a tab and one for that BB10 phone this app will eventually be on. Looks well built and sturdy and doesn't look to block buttons. Will find out shortly.
    w4rrior likes this.
    05-06-12 07:31 PM
    I don't have a BB phone though... I am intending to use the Playbook alone for this... no tethering/bridging. Is it still useful under these conditions?

Really what I want is a completely self-contained GPS app that has all of the maps and voice necessary to not have to use the internet at all. I would be more than willing to sacrifice many GBs of space on my PB for this. But since that doesn't exist, I am hoping that this app set at a large cache size will be a reasonable facsimile.
    Indeed, it would be nice to be able to store the entire North American map on the PB.
    mcmolineux likes this.
    05-06-12 07:48 PM
    Indeed, it would be nice to be able to store the entire North American map on the PB.
    Depending on efficiency, it should be easily doable. My TomTom has All of the US and Europe on either 4 or 8 gigs (it's been a while since I looked at the drives. That including routing and points-of-interest.
    05-06-12 09:29 PM
    App world says that this app contains items for sale. What do you get for the $4.99 and what items are for sale?

Sorry if this is already addressed in another thread...
    05-06-12 10:12 PM
    App world says that this app contains items for sale. What do you get for the $4.99 and what items are for sale?

Sorry if this is already addressed in another thread...
    You can purchase additional voices for the turn-by-turn directions.
    farskija likes this.
    05-06-12 10:15 PM
    I'd actually pay for a marine chartplotter app. A native one. Not android. When i find out an app is android it gets deleted.

Navionics, garmin, nobletec, raytech, whatever. C-map compatibility so i can use already purchased charts.

Navionics promised a blackberry app over 3 years ago. Still waiting.
    05-06-12 10:39 PM
    OK Great! Goodbye BING
    05-06-12 10:42 PM
    Depends on the interior design of your vehicle. Mine is a bit unconventional (cant do seat bolt, dash, or windshield) so I have to go with this

Amazon.com: Satechi SCH-121 Cup Holder Mount for Smartphones & Tablets: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPad 2, Asus Eee Pad Transformer, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Galaxy 10.1, Viewsonic Gtablet, Blackberry Playbook, HTC Flyer, iPhone 4S, BlackBerry, HTC

Comes with two mounts, one for a tab and one for that BB10 phone this app will eventually be on. Looks well built and sturdy and doesn't look to block buttons. Will find out shortly.
    Awesome! Can you send me a PM if it works well? I've bookmarked the page and am going to purchase once you let me know!
    05-06-12 10:45 PM
    Looks like v3 has been approved and is available for download.
    05-07-12 03:41 AM
    Looks like v3 has been approved and is available for download.
    Yep I can see it in AppWorld, downloading the trial now, will see how it goes!
    05-07-12 03:46 AM
    Hi All,

I have just bought it and it works. Could you please confirm that if I save some routes when I have WIFI I can use it when I am on the go without internet connection?
    05-07-12 04:15 AM
    That is the main new feature.
    You bought it, why don't you tell us?

Seriously, test it and let us know what you think of it.
    05-07-12 05:14 AM
    Sorry...it is my awful English (probably is better than your Bulgarian by the way ).
    So I tried to make some kind of tests despite the fact that I am not going to travel in the next couple of days. I plan my route at home then use map cache option to save it. Once I disconnect the WIFI the map disappear but the voice command and the direction are there...so I believe that it would work.
    05-07-12 06:43 AM
    I'm curious how it auto cache maps along the route when there is no wifi available?
    05-07-12 07:21 AM
427 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD