Ok, let me change the word rich to "price insensitive". Is that better.

Also many RICH people most certainly do use computers. Its how they became rich in the first place.
    Yea, but then as per your presentation, they didn't buy Mac's BEFORE they were rich. They couldn't afford the HUGE $1000 expense.
    Would make for great Win marketing...."Windows, helping poor people get rich enough to buy Macs since 1995".
    04-24-11 03:20 AM
    i think somebody tried that and said it didn't work.
    What Blaze showed was not virtual windows. Its Bootcamp. Turns on full windows on Mac hardware.
    Nothing virtual about it.
    04-24-11 03:23 AM
    I'm sorry but was there some sort of fine print that I missed that said Mac users would be totally left in the dark? The PlayBook is not compatible with Mac desktop manager until the SUMMER? Is this a joke?

1 day after my purchase, my PlayBook has currently "bricked" itself (a reason in itself to return this POS) and as a Mac user, with no PC, I am left in the dark because apparently the only solution to get the Playbook past the startup screen is to plug it into desktop manager.

So my options here? 1) Buy a PC. 2) Buy Windows and put it on Bootcamp for Mac. 3) Go to a friend's house every time I have an issue where Desktop Manager needs to be involved. 4) Wait several months until "Summer" (which is defined as, when, in RIM's mind?).

I don't think so.

I can't wait to hand this piece of crap to the guys at BestBuy with it still on the "BlackBerry PlayBook" startup screen.
    I dunno you call customer support you return it and wait until the summer. Sorry you didn't properly inform yourself of the Mac compatibility. :P

Mean while change your diaper and take your lumps.
    04-24-11 04:03 AM
    I can't sympathize in the LEAST with the OP, because anyone who buys ONLY Macs should KNOW that OSX doesn't have nearly as many apps available for it as does Windows. Time to stop whining about something you KNEW was an issue with Macs.
    Not all Mac owners are Apple fanboys or even long-time owners.
    I get the entertainment value of these forums (for some), really, I do. But did you notice: 6489 posts since June 2009. Works out to about 10 per day, for 22 months?
    Last edited by looksee; 04-26-11 at 06:15 PM.
    04-26-11 01:04 PM
    Regarding virtualization on a Mac, has anyone got DM to work using either VMware or Parallels on their Mac? I have a 15" MBP running Win 7 through VM ware which actually runs very well. When I tried to connect PB through VM the PB recognized it was connected but DM failed the driver installation. I have tried many other things but too long to list. Has anyone had success with this if so please could you help.
    04-26-11 05:55 PM
    I spent 3 hours on the phone with RIM and they couldn't fix my problem without my using Parallels, and then DM failed over and over to install. Yet other installations worked perfectly. So, though I really do hate to say it because i love my BB 9780, I think RIM has just dropped the ball where it comes to Mac users; which in my opinion is really foolish. I wanted the playbook to sync with my BB phone. Now I'm going to give up both phone and playbook to have the functionality I need, and get the iphone and ipad.
    03-12-12 02:01 AM
    holy thread revival batman.
    BearSnout likes this.
    03-12-12 02:07 AM
    I am a Mac user, have both BB and PB and they work flawlessly. I don't think RIM have left the Mac users out in the cold.
    BearSnout likes this.
    03-12-12 02:08 AM
    I spent 3 hours on the phone with RIM and they couldn't fix my problem without my using Parallels, and then DM failed over and over to install. Yet other installations worked perfectly. So, though I really do hate to say it because i love my BB 9780, I think RIM has just dropped the ball where it comes to Mac users; which in my opinion is really foolish. I wanted the playbook to sync with my BB phone. Now I'm going to give up both phone and playbook to have the functionality I need, and get the iphone and ipad.
    When you're in the prison, they don't like to let you out

iPhone and iPad? Great Scott you played right into their hands.

I sold my Mac instead
    03-12-12 04:37 AM
    With several hundred current threads, and hundreds more current members you could have asked for help, you instead choose to necromance a thread that died on 4/26/2011 to tell us you're going to dump your problematic BlackBerry devices for the iPhone and iPad??? Either you are grossly incompetent and not tech savvy, or you are simply trolling. Which is it friend?
    03-12-12 05:36 AM
    There are no problems in using the DM, and yes I use a Mac and have never used a PC.
    All the shortcomings that were there since the initial launch with using a Mac have been solved, now one can even load all android apps if wanted and that works flawlessly.
    Macs are superior devices, and if you knew how to solve simple things then the Mac- PB combo is deadly, works like a charm.

Btw nice revival of an age old thread, no wonder you are bashing the PB, if you were that tech savvy you would have read about the solved issues in numerous threads via the search function here at the forums in how to use the PB with a Mac, efficiently.
    03-12-12 05:54 AM
    There are no problems in using the DM, and yes I use a Mac and have never used a PC.
    All the shortcomings that were there since the initial launch with using a Mac have been solved, now one can even load all android apps if wanted and that works flawlessly.
    Macs are superior devices, and if you knew how to solve simple things then the Mac- PB combo is deadly, works like a charm.
    I am an IT id*ot and successfully sideloaded android apps to my PB via Mac. As everyone says, Mac is id*ot proof
    inolle likes this.
    03-12-12 06:27 AM
    Mac users aren't "left in the dark".

Wifi sharing is mac compatible and being that desktop manager for the Playbook is basically just fancy-looking wifi sharing (all you can do is sync pictures/music/vids not fully featured like destop manager for blackberries) you're better off not having to install a bunch of crap just to put stuff on/take stuff of your playbook.

Take a look here http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/pl...utions-606454/ under "Manual Wi-Fi Sharing Procedure".
    Did you even read OP's post? It's not about getting files onto the device. It's about desktop manager on Mac computers to debrick PB.
    03-12-12 07:24 AM
    I run an IBM AS-400. It does not have any USB ports. RIM should have said on the box the PB is not compatible with IBM mid-sized computers. I'm going to return this POS PlayBook since it can't be connected to the 5250 terminal connection.
    03-12-12 07:52 AM
    I run an IBM AS-400. It does not have any USB ports. RIM should have said on the box the PB is not compatible with IBM mid-sized computers. I'm going to return this POS PlayBook since it can't be connected to the 5250 terminal connection.
    Come back and tell me if that's the only computer you own. Geez some people on this forum.
    03-12-12 08:24 AM
    So has this issue of being able to debrick a Playbook through a Mac been resolved? If so, this thread should really be locked or something.

There seems to be some real hostility towards Mac users in this thread which is a shame. I'd think all of us would want as many different types of people using the Playbook as we can get. I am a Mac user mainly, and new to this forum and enjoying it. It's a bit disappointing to see a thread like this.
    Last edited by torndownunit; 03-12-12 at 08:30 AM.
    03-12-12 08:28 AM
    This proves mac people are not very bright. Alright mac users heads back into the sand.
    03-12-12 08:34 AM
    this is not very uncommon though.

Microsoft JUST gave support to Macs for the Zune (after its been "discontinued") so thats nothing new.

Not really RIM's fault. Macs arent compatible with everything.

Thats just known.
    03-12-12 08:53 AM
    Mine works fine, I'm using Snow Leopard.My Mac also reads PB as an external drive, very useful for adding content to appropriate folders -photos, videos etc. In this process I made an interesting discovery, if I drag an Album of photos from Aperture to desktop and then drag and drop this Album into PB photos folder, sequence of photos in Album is correct. I don't know if this trick will work with a Project. An Album on Aperture or iPhoto is a subfolder you have created from various photos. So far I have had no problems using BlackBerry software on my mac
    03-12-12 09:00 AM
    im a mac user and feel very little left in the dark
    03-12-12 09:03 AM
145 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD