OK. Here we go. somewhat from a post from another site but they were talking about doing this with iOS devices. I think its way better for the PlayBook.

I have this working great on my PlayBook and My Torch 9810 running newest OS 7.0 xxx whatever. lol. The few video files I have tried that didn't work from my iTunes library I think had AC3 audio. But most play. I do not know if this will work with DRM files.

Us Mac users have a little service in System Preferences under Sharing called Web Sharing, go ahead turn it on now and leave system prefs open when done.

Now, in Finder, navigate to your home folder Music folder, right click (or Command -i) and select get info, under Sharing and Permissions, change everyone from no access to read only. [Now as long as you don't have your router configured in any fancy way to enable sharing to the outside world your ok security wise but if you do be informed you are opening ports to your computer to the entire internet, look into what ports are what to make sure you are the only one using this service.]

Normally if you wanted to create a link in Mac OS X, you would use the Finder’s “Make Alias” function. Unfortunately, Web Sharing and Aliases don’t play nice together. Because Mac OS X’s Web Sharing uses the open-source Apache web server, we need to treat it like a Unix program. And Unix programs prefer what’s called “symbolic links” (or “symlinks”) instead of aliases. This involves a quick trip to the terminal, but I promise it won’t be too scary.

Open your Terminal (in Applications->Utilities->Terminal) and type/paste the following command, if it tells you permission denied, type sudo then type/paste the command in.

for your Music folder:
    ln -s ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Media/Music/ /Library/WebServer/Documents/music

for your Movies folder:
    ln -s ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Music/Movies/ /Library/WebServer/Documents/movies

for your TV Shows folder:
    ln -s ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Media/TV\ Shows/ /Library/WebServer/Documents/TV\ Shows

If you need to include another folder this should give you what you need, the important thing is the deal with filenames that have spaces. TV shows = TV\ Shows. as shown above. I didn't get it to work on external volumes yet, but I will.

Now. Go back to system Preferences, and in the Sharing/Web Sharing Pane you will see a link to click and see your computers shared web site. Click it........

WTF. Nothing. Its OK. Now go up into the address bar and add the folder you want. IE: http://10.0.1.2/Music or http://192.168.0.1/Movies You get the idea? Good. I thought you could.

So thats about it. I'll check in from time to time and see if anyone is lost.

Be Cool.
    Last edited by CanadianThomas; 12-24-11 at 01:45 AM.
    Superfly_FR and TheChemizt like this.
    12-24-11 01:38 AM
    Great. It works. I have been looking forward for something like this.

Thank you very much
    12-26-11 05:17 AM
    for external volumes, change path to Volumes/drivename/location

was a late night when i did this and with a misspelling in my typing external volumes didnt work at first. lol.
    12-26-11 04:08 PM
    one small question please...can you explain more the type/paste proces.. when i open the terminal i directly paste this: ln -s ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Media/Music/ /Library/WebServer/Documents/music
    its says file exists...so what do i do after ? is that ok?
    12-26-11 07:17 PM
    one small question please...can you explain more the type/paste proces.. when i open the terminal i directly paste this: ln -s ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Media/Music/ /Library/WebServer/Documents/music
    its says file exists...so what do i do after ? is that ok?
    ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Media/Music/ /Library/WebServer/Documents/music

might have to put sudo in before it all, it will ask you for a password. PM if you want and we can walk through it in iChat of something.

Or, its already there, maybe you've done it a few times? Did you try the web address on your device?
    12-26-11 07:29 PM
    i think im getting there... its just this that i dont understand now :WTF. Nothing. Its OK. Now go up into the address bar and add the folder you want. IE: http://10.0.1.2/Music or http://192.168.0.1/Movies You get the idea? Good. I thought you could.

what am i suppose to add ?
    12-26-11 08:22 PM
    Hello, Im not able to do the process with external volumes. Please could you explain it with more detail?

Thank you very much
    12-28-11 10:01 AM
    Hello, Im not able to do the process with external volumes. Please could you explain it with more detail?

Thank you very much
    sure, later tonight when i get home.
    12-28-11 10:17 PM
    Sounds like what I do with Apache
    12-29-11 12:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD