Good Morning All

I feel I want to write a quick post just incase other Mac users are sitting at home and are thinking of getting a Playbook and stumble on this great site. Like I did two days ago.

I've owned and used just about every Apple product there is for the last fifteen years. I sit here now with two MacBook pros and an iphone in front of me a couple of macbook's upstairs and a handful of ipod's scattered around the house. The one thing that was missing was an ipad. I convinced myself I needed one and went to the Apple store to treat myself at christmas, after half an hour with a salesperson I walked out empty handed.

For me the size of the playbook is brilliant, bigger than my phone but not as hefty as my laptop. It's feels positive and responsive to the touch, as intuitive as a apple product and the build quality far out reaches my expectations. I keep my fingers crossed the world of android opens up to us soon and I can fully unlock this brilliant piece of kit. I intend to tether it to my phone, correct the odd script during my commute, use it as a dslr monitor and load it with my showreel.

What a great tablet.

I'd be keen to get views from other Mac users.

But like I said at the top if you've stumbled on this site as a Mac user and can't make your mind up. Jump in with both feet you won't regret it.
    01-05-12 06:10 AM
    Welcome nice. Apple people are smart after all. Just kidding.

Nice to see not only bb fans notice how good the pb is and how great it can be.
    01-05-12 06:25 AM
    I always thought that the iPad was to big. I mean come on i rather get an Macbook Air with almost same sizes and a keyboard.

I love the 7 inch tablets but there aren't rly any good ones out there and the real good ones where way to expansive.

First i thought lets wait for the iPad 3 and see what the specs are, but then i noticed the Playbook going on sales here in the Netherlands.

I hesitated not even once and bought it right away, few days later i got the tablet and i hold it as if it was my own...... ( don't have any .... yet)

Anyway it rocks, smooth etc
    Last edited by Ryatzu; 01-05-12 at 06:41 AM.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-05-12 06:29 AM
    May I ask you for the reason why you left the Apple store without the iPad? Was it the size?
    01-05-12 06:31 AM
    Yep, I think the size was the biggest reason, like somebody else mentioned it's tuff carrying a tea tray round in your pocket! I think I was also kidding myself that I would use it for content generation. But that's why I have a a mac - for final cut, final draft and photoshop. The word app on the playbook was excellent just what I needed to do a little work on a train.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-05-12 06:40 AM
    Years ago I was in the market for a laptop and I went with a 17" HP Widescreen. I was impressed by the screen real estate. After a while of use, I realized that thing is rather clunky to handle and works better when used sitting on TOP OF A DESK! LOL
    So how pointless was that.
    My Stepson has it now for college and I got me a PlayBook for Christmas and couldn't be happier. Size matters and less is more.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-05-12 06:49 AM
    BTW what else did you not like after half an hour with the Apple rep and the iPad?
    Willard814 and BERaddict like this.
    01-05-12 06:50 AM
    Welcome to the forums! Don't miss reading the Tips and Tricks sticky at the top of the page. There are some brilliant, time saving revelations in it!

Glad to hear that the Playbook is already helping with your productivity!
    spike12, jafobabe and Willard814 like this.
    01-05-12 06:53 AM
    Good Morning All

I feel I want to write a quick post just incase other Mac users are sitting at home and are thinking of getting a Playbook and stumble on this great site. Like I did two days ago.

I've owned and used just about every Apple product there is for the last fifteen years. I sit here now with two MacBook pros and an iphone in front of me a couple of macbook's upstairs and a handful of ipod's scattered around the house. The one thing that was missing was an ipad. I convinced myself I needed one and went to the Apple store to treat myself at christmas, after half an hour with a salesperson I walked out empty handed.

For me the size of the playbook is brilliant, bigger than my phone but not as hefty as my laptop. It's feels positive and responsive to the touch, as intuitive as a apple product and the build quality far out reaches my expectations. I keep my fingers crossed the world of android opens up to us soon and I can fully unlock this brilliant piece of kit. I intend to tether it to my phone, correct the odd script during my commute, use it as a dslr monitor and load it with my showreel.

What a great tablet.

But like I said at the top if you've stumbled on this site as a Mac user and can't make your mind up. Jump in with both feet you won't regret it.
    Now you need an OS7 BB so you can bridge and further unlock the PB experience. Any consideration around that?
    BERaddict and Willard814 like this.
    01-05-12 06:55 AM
    Now you need an OS7 BB so you can bridge and further unlock the PB experience. Any consideration around that?

One step at a time.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-05-12 07:57 AM
    Welcome Mrs. Pipe! You'll continue to love your PlayBook in the future. I've had mine since it was launched and I love it now more than ever!
    tonyron227 and Willard814 like this.
    01-05-12 08:03 AM
    My laptop (a Sony vaio) has always been used as a desktop. Much too inconvenient to carry around and the battery life is terrible. When I got the iPad, I started taking it on trips with me, but would not carry it around. Now the PlayBook is always with me and I don't take any files or briefcase with me any longer. Smart and slim, like me....
    Willard814 and BERaddict like this.
    01-05-12 08:10 AM
    The PB is great hardware, now if only we can get the software and apps up to the level of the hardware, we'd REALLY be in business! Hopefully 2.0 OS which is coming in Feb will solve most of the software issues, and the app situation IS improving and 2.0 will help with that also as it brings support for some Android apps.
    01-05-12 08:18 AM
    i have an ipad, macbook, iphone, blackberry 9700 bold and to be honnest i could of been any more happier with my playbook thats my on the go tablet, work, plane, everywhere, the feature i love the most is the "blackberry bridge" no need to pay for data ever and the connection is very good, there is no wifi at work but im able to use my playbook as we speak im fact im posting from my pb.

welcome to the forum and enjoy your playbook
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-05-12 08:44 AM
    Me Too

My mac book pro is soon destined to be my playbook server holding most of my files and providing the ability to run things like Adobe CS and some media management functions. I am still struggling withe Playbook for email, I have serious problems with gmail and my mac account eithrr getting access or actually getting emails sent, ironically I have fallen back to using my oldest email account at AOL for full function email on the playbook as it is the only one that fully works . The MBPros current and fourth battery has given up the ghost and so the cost of the playbook is now countered by the cost of the new battery unspent. I do expect OS 2 to contain features and abilities that will further sideline the laptop/server.
    The size issue is an interesting one for me. I was holding out for a much larger tablet, like 15 inches. The ipad would have lost me 60% of my screen realestate and I thought that was going to be too much. How pleasantly surprised I have been to discover that 7 inches of Playbook is just fine, even with the loss of 80% of my screen realestate.
    tiberius maximus likes this.
    01-05-12 09:06 AM
    I'm an Apple and BB fan. I love both company on the same level. On a personal level I think the PlayBook performs better then the iPad. Runs smoother and far less freezing time out. However, the iPad still shines when it comes to contents like apps, media and books. BB has been improving it's contently lately so they are forgiven.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-05-12 09:22 AM
    So OP, I didn't see where you bought a Playbook; did you, and what exactly was it that turned you on to the PB and reject the iPad.

Oh, and welcome.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-05-12 09:57 AM
    It's amazing to me how underrated the PB is, whenever someone has a chance to play with one they do say: Wow this is better than an iPad. Hopefully after the holiday sales it will get more recognition from the masses.
    01-05-12 10:09 AM
    great and wonderful post. i love my playbook also. more than my xbox360.....
    01-05-12 10:11 AM
    great and wonderful post. i love my playbook also. more than my xbox360.....
    You obviously need a PS3.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-05-12 10:19 AM
    Good Morning All

What a great tablet.

Great post! Hope you dont get bashed to bad, but hey at least you were honest!
    01-05-12 10:20 AM
    Another Mac user here! I couldn't justify the cost of an iPad especially as my Mac Air is more useful. However, when the price of the PB dropped I thought i'd give it a go - and so glad I did. It's a superb machine. In fact I bought the 16g version but 3 days later I swapped it for the 32g version. So, as a long term Mac user I love the PB!!
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-05-12 10:33 AM
    Have never used a PC, always a Mac user..... and never had to think even twice to get the Playbook it was an easy choice.
    Nothing comes closer to the PB...... hands down winner.
    TheMrsPipe likes this.
    01-05-12 12:34 PM
    I have been a mac user all my life having just recently sold my MBP to buy the latest MBA. I am all for the best functionality in the best form factor. Having used both generation iPads, plenty of Android tab(lag...)lets, the PB made the most sense as a tablet to me. Looks, functionality, size.. everything is perfect. If tablets are supposed to be the middle ground between a laptop and a desktop, 10" is way too big IMO.

Now, MBA combined with the PB gives me ultimate portability and top notch performance.
    therealdizzy and TheMrsPipe like this.
    01-07-12 03:00 AM
    It's amazing to me how underrated the PB is, whenever someone has a chance to play with one they do say: Wow this is better than an iPad. Hopefully after the holiday sales it will get more recognition from the masses.
    So true. When I got my PB and showed people at Christmas time, they asked what it was... I said a BB playbook. They frowned and said... "Oooo BlackBerry.. they're not doing too good right now are they?"

All they know is the negative that the media has been spinning. I think RIM has been doing a great job dropping the cost of the PB to get them into peoples hands, probably cheaper than millions in advertising, but they really need to focus on "Brand Power" and plaster their name all over the place so BlackBerry is burned into our brain, the way apple does marketing. Hopefully once 2.0 is out and a big success, this will then happen.
    01-07-12 09:04 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD