The only reason any of us stand in line is we "have to have it first" syndrome: that irresistible urge to earn the right to say "I got it first, on the first day it was available". This condition is often exacerbated when it comes in contact with another condition known as the "I got it cheapest, after it was discontinued" syndrome. There is a strong advisory against letting these two volatile groups from ever coming in contact one another, because the outcome of their interaction is dangerous and unpredictable.
    Sorry, if I stand in line to get something on launch day, its because I wanted it, not because I care to tell other people when I got it.
    07-17-13 04:07 PM
    Remember the BlackBerry trade up program? They should make it available for us to trade up from the PlayBook to a new BlackBerry of our choice.
    And I get an Android with that!!!!??????!!!
    07-17-13 04:14 PM
    I'm with you Devil Dog!!! I use my PlayBook all day, every day.
    maddie1128 likes this.
    07-17-13 04:28 PM
    Next Executive meeting.
    That was mind numbing... 30 seconds I'll never get back
    07-17-13 04:30 PM
    Here's how I imagine what transpired inside RIM.

Playbook Marketing guy walks into executive meet.

PB MK GUY: "Hey, there are a lot of really pissed off PB users out there."
    THOR: "Hmmm. What's for lunch. Didn't we order from that Chinese place yesterday. Let's have that catered in."
    PB MK GUY: "No really. You should read all of the negative posts on Crackberry. Our user base is turning on us"
    THOR: "I'm thinking Kung Pow Chicken today. I really like those cashews"
    Other Exec: "Yes, yes. You are right. We must do something. I'll have the fried rice."
    PB MK GUY: "I have an idea. What if we offer the playbook owners some sort of loyalty reward."
    Other Exec: "Let's get the receptionist to do that."
    PB MK GUY: "You mean the loyalty program?".
    Other Exec: "Pick up lunch".
    PB MK GUY: "This has already been field tested. We've polled our users and found we can gain back their loyalty'.
    THOR: "NO. Please close the door on your way out. And tell the receptionist we'd like Chinese food for lunch".

Months later:

Crackberry Interview with Thor.

KEVIN: "Are you considering any sort of loyalty reward for PlayBook owners to help maintain the BlackBerry love."
    THOR: "Yes, we've been discussing this internally."
    Except there's no PB MK guy. It's another Thor imaginary friend. Unless he made Alec to dress up and pretend to be one.
    07-17-13 05:12 PM
    I think a sweet PlayBook Loyalty gift would be a nice high quality t-shirt with a BlackBerry logo on the front and on the back a simple graveyard scene with a PlayBook dug into the dirt in the portrait position as the headstone with RIP on the screen. Above the art work it would say BlackBerry PlayBook RIP 2013 and beneath that in smaller script- Thanks for your loyalty! With Love, TH. Heck maybe have his photo on it somewhere too. Man I'd rock a shirt like that!
    07-17-13 05:42 PM
    I am done with BlackBerry over the false statements and disrespect for consumers. There is no way to bring me back but here is a suggestion to secure a degree of goodwill out of this disaster of a non announcement. First apologize sincerely and not in an interview to a friendly(no disrespect to kevin) ear or via a vp's twitter account. Two pay for postage for all returned pbs from people like me, refurbish them and provide them at no cost (don't take tax credits or the padvantage BlackBerry - I know how much u want to) and give them to lower income students and to university students in developing nations. Be contrite throughout and praise your supporters and end users while doing this.

Ps:bb could do do through an established charity and allow tax credits for consumers as a gift in kind thus cost to BlackBerry would be low
    Last edited by allanfatherofmuggs; 07-17-13 at 06:45 PM.
    07-17-13 05:57 PM
    Here's how I imagine what transpired inside RIM.

Playbook Marketing guy walks into executive meet.

PB MK GUY: "Hey, there are a lot of really pissed off PB users out there."
    THOR: "Hmmm. What's for lunch. Didn't we order from that Chinese place yesterday. Let's have that catered in."
    PB MK GUY: "No really. You should read all of the negative posts on Crackberry. Our user base is turning on us"
    THOR: "I'm thinking Kung Pow Chicken today. I really like those cashews"
    Other Exec: "Yes, yes. You are right. We must do something. I'll have the fried rice."
    PB MK GUY: "I have an idea. What if we offer the playbook owners some sort of loyalty reward."
    Other Exec: "Let's get the receptionist to do that."
    PB MK GUY: "You mean the loyalty program?".
    Other Exec: "Pick up lunch".
    PB MK GUY: "This has already been field tested. We've polled our users and found we can gain back their loyalty'.
    THOR: "NO. Please close the door on your way out. And tell the receptionist we'd like Chinese food for lunch".

Months later:

Crackberry Interview with Thor.

KEVIN: "Are you considering any sort of loyalty reward for PlayBook owners to help maintain the BlackBerry love."
    THOR: "Yes, we've been discussing this internally."
    Hilarious!
    jcsf123 likes this.
    07-17-13 06:10 PM
    Actively discussing what? What success they have in screw over the foolish loyalty that their customers have for their company?
    07-17-13 07:32 PM
    The reward is they will send us FREE boxes so we can ship it to the nearest landfill!

Just kiddin heheheh I own 3 playbook myself and I prefer to use it over my ipad and mini ipad.
    07-17-13 08:47 PM
    I wouldn't get my hopes up for ANY sign of loyalty or thanks. In fact, even the appearance of considering such an idea was probably a mistake.

Most of you probably weren't following the Palm /webOS community circa 2011 but this is basically exactly what happened with webOS 2.0, which was promised for all webOS devices and then at the last minute switched to only the latest and greatest device (a device not available on the network 80% of Palm webOS users were on).

In the Palm case, it was further complicated by the appearance of webOS 2.0 versions for some devices in other countries and Dieter had to basically force Palm/HP to come clean and say, yeah, we changed our mind. We couldn't do the update we wanted so we pulled it.

Palm promised to "make things right" and that wound up being a $50 voucher off the HP TouchPad. The TouchPad was discontinued after 42 days or something and prices slashed to $150 and then webOS died.

Obviously BlackBerry 10 isn't going to for in 45 days, but the lesson is not to expect a company that has already let you down to make it right. When Apple lowered the price of the iPhone by $200 60 day after launch, they gave existing customers a $100 apple gift card as a sign of good will. That's about as much as you can expect from any company.

BB already disappointed you once (at least), for your own sake, don't expect them to come through with anything else related to PB.

The last time BB "made good" for users it was with a bunch of app giveaways after the BIS outage - but not apps you could choose, apps BB chose (and probably got for free or near free) that most users had anyway. The company hardly has a record of making stuff right.

As someone who has been burned by plenty of companies in the past, my advice is to stop expecting anything more, period. If you get surprised, great, but let's all be honest, the company has moved on.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2
    dmlis likes this.
    07-17-13 09:45 PM
    My contribution here, is firstly: if management chooses to do this, that would be good, and secondly, when the hell are the bitter people here going to let it go, my gosh I can understand the first weekend, maybe that next week, but I mean are your lives completely ruined still??? Jeez...
    maddie1128 likes this.
    07-17-13 09:51 PM
    My contribution here, is firstly: if management chooses to do this, that would be good, and secondly, when the hell are the bitter people here going to let it go, my gosh I can understand the first weekend, maybe that next week, but I mean are your lives completely ruined still??? Jeez...
    if everything the management chooses are right and good, don't you think blackberry should be the best company on the earth right now?
    07-17-13 10:14 PM
    If it happens, it happens....

From the Crackberry article interview with Thor - "We asked the BlackBerry CEO if they're considering any sort of loyalty reward for PlayBook owners to help maintain the BlackBerry love, to which he responded it's something they have been actively discussing and considering."

Does anyone really expect this to happen? I asked product manager John on the Blackberry Beta Forums and he had no response. I suspect Thor really doesn't have any intent to provide this. It was just a way to soft pedal the playbook end-of-life.

Now that they officially said the PB would not get anymore updates, it would be the right time to come out with this program.
    07-17-13 11:22 PM
    You: this post gets under your skin
    Me: doing this to get under your skin.
    madman0141 likes this.
    07-17-13 11:41 PM
    A nice discount on the new A10 for playbook owners wouldn't be a bad idea...
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    07-17-13 11:45 PM
    Isn't it ironic that the people that talk the most smack about BB and the PlayBook are the same ones wanting a "Loyalty Reward"?

Relax, I'm practically just joking...
    maddie1128 likes this.
    07-17-13 11:46 PM
    Isn't it ironic that the people that talk the most smack about BB and the PlayBook are the same ones wanting a "Loyalty Reward"?

Relax, I'm practically just joking...
    Squeaky wheel theory.
    07-17-13 11:50 PM
    Soooo PB owners are asking for a Loyalty Reward for what exactly? Being a consumer?

Did the TouchPad adopters and loyalists get anything when HP axed the device six weeks after its release? Does anyone know?

I bought a 16 gb PB with a warranty from office depot. I think the total price of my purchase, to include accessories, came to maybe $700. I only blame my consumer spirit for this bad bet.

It's unfortunate how BlackBerry has handled the PB. Not only is it bad for business, but also hurts consumer trust. BlackBerry can't regain that through any loyalty reward.

Posted via CB10
    amazinglygraceless and FF22 like this.
    07-18-13 12:02 AM
    Soooo PB owners are asking for a Loyalty Reward for what exactly? Being a consumer?

Did the TouchPad adopters and loyalists get anything when HP axed the device six weeks after its release? Does anyone know?

Posted via CB10
    They offered refunds to early adopters (and pre fire-sale buyers), IIRC. They also leaked some Android build for the TP
    07-18-13 12:31 AM
    So they're lying about thinking and considering something?

Your title is unnecessarily aggressive.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 12:36 AM
    From the Crackberry article interview with Thor - "We asked the BlackBerry CEO if they're considering any sort of loyalty reward for PlayBook owners to help maintain the BlackBerry love, to which he responded it's something they have been actively discussing and considering."

Does anyone really expect this to happen? I asked product manager John on the Blackberry Beta Forums and he had no response. I suspect Thor really doesn't have any intent to provide this. It was just a way to soft pedal the playbook end-of-life.

Now that they officially said the PB would not get anymore updates, it would be the right time to come out with this program.
    Let us show our love for Blackberry while we wait for Thor to make this to happen...

TommyBB likes this.
    07-18-13 12:46 AM
    They offered refunds to early adopters (and pre fire-sale buyers), IIRC. They also leaked some Android build for the TP
    I'm remembering now. I was in Best Buy at the time debating headphones. Almost walked out with a TP. HP refunded the difference between the $500 and the $100 sale price for those patient enough with the process.

What's bad is early adopters of the PB could have had a better argument for this type of refund when the PB first started dropping in price. For those that actually purchased the PB 4G/LTE version...not so much. Seems we would have been better off if BlackBerry pulled the plug when everyone said it was doomed.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 12:50 AM
    I don't think I would hold my breath for bridge, but there are some great 3rd party browsers for the PB that run much better than the stock one
    I just loaded the bar for Origami. Best third party browser I've experienced on the PB thus far. Any other recommendations, please let me know.

Surely Bridge can't be too much for our supposedly performance challenged PlayBooks??? Did they fire the entire PlayBook development team? I dealt with the ****ty browser because Bridge was so badass with my 9850. Now we have a great phone with no frigging bridge...can't win!

With Waterloo's current track record so far, I've all but given up on anything good coming to the PlayBook. I suspect developers will be turning their backs on us soon too!
    FF22 and Carl Estes like this.
    07-18-13 01:03 AM
    I wouldn't get my hopes up for ANY sign of loyalty or thanks. In fact, even the appearance of considering such an idea was probably a mistake.

Most of you probably weren't following the Palm /webOS community circa 2011 but this is basically exactly what happened with webOS 2.0, which was promised for all webOS devices and then at the last minute switched to only the latest and greatest device (a device not available on the network 80% of Palm webOS users were on).

In the Palm case, it was further complicated by the appearance of webOS 2.0 versions for some devices in other countries and Dieter had to basically force Palm/HP to come clean and say, yeah, we changed our mind. We couldn't do the update we wanted so we pulled it.

Palm promised to "make things right" and that wound up being a $50 voucher off the HP TouchPad. The TouchPad was discontinued after 42 days or something and prices slashed to $150 and then webOS died.

Obviously BlackBerry 10 isn't going to for in 45 days, but the lesson is not to expect a company that has already let you down to make it right. When Apple lowered the price of the iPhone by $200 60 day after launch, they gave existing customers a $100 apple gift card as a sign of good will. That's about as much as you can expect from any company.

BB already disappointed you once (at least), for your own sake, don't expect them to come through with anything else related to PB.

The last time BB "made good" for users it was with a bunch of app giveaways after the BIS outage - but not apps you could choose, apps BB chose (and probably got for free or near free) that most users had anyway. The company hardly has a record of making stuff right.

As someone who has been burned by plenty of companies in the past, my advice is to stop expecting anything more, period. If you get surprised, great, but let's all be honest, the company has moved on.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2
    i am not good other than tecnical stuffs. but here it is anyway. i agree 99% except one. HP later gave away the source code and unlocked the bootloader. but RIM wont do so. if they do? their credibility sinks even more. its a DoD adopted device and FIPS-140 certified device. if they do it? DoD will cancel the contracts. and the public key is most likely to be same with all devices, its tough to manage different public key for different devices. this is my belief. so if they give away the private key which unlocks the public key? their reputation is ruined for eternity.
    so this voucher and all are BS and to me its like a lollypop and i need to shove it down my throat, whether i like it or not. so i said SCREW RIM/Blackberry.
    if you end up in a deep sh!t hole? stop digging further. and Blackberry is digging its own sh!thole deeper. well. i am out of this BS. others please continue.
    thanks!
    -paul
    07-18-13 01:19 AM
118 12345