My loyal playbook is still being my little media center/player however if you look around their is better options that will allow me to not only use it as a media centre but expand into a great and fast experience.
    10-31-13 03:16 PM
    A Microsoft Surface Pro 2
    I am thinking along those lines. Rather than investing in more apps for more disparate OS's - move to a Win Tablet and run my old and familiar apps, ahem, PROGRAMS, on it.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    10-31-13 04:11 PM
    2014 will be the year that makes my PlayBook one year older and twice as useless

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 04:12 PM
    re: abacus

That's underspec'd for 2013. You may say that specs don't matter when the hardware (wire and beads) is so good, but really it's something that you need to consider with a purchase of that value...
    Yeah, but batteries are not included and it does not need them. No STACK CHARGING EVER!
    Carl Estes likes this.
    10-31-13 04:14 PM
    I don't think the playbook is great, I got it as a web browser for sitting on the sofa but quickly found out I don't like tablets much, didn't pay much for it and the kids use it to watch youtube video and it has great speakers. Apple make good products but they also know how to price them to get fantastic margins. I doubt I'll buy another tablet, too old school keyboard and mouse is better.
    10-31-13 05:19 PM
    My BlackBerry PlayBook(s) are primarily used for professional and academic purposes. With the addition of the BlackBerry Leather Case with Bluetooth Mini-Keyboard for one of the tablets and the Hip Street Leather Executive Case for the other tablet both look professional yet discrete. I much prefer carrying the tablet rather than the notebook computer which now serves as a silent, energy-efficient desktop replacement. I hope BlackBerry, under new ownership and management, designs another tablet (thinner, microSD card support, full integration with BlackBerry smartphones via BlackBerry Bridge) and an enhanced BlackBerry Protect (full/selective backup/restore, remote lock & wipe, device location service). However, my current BlackBerry PlayBooks remain workhorses unmatched in many respects by competitor's tablets.
    castoridae, kimschmitz24 and FF22 like this.
    10-31-13 05:41 PM
    I used to carry a 9800 on my belt and a PlayBook in my pocket. The PlayBook was for emailing and browsing, and the 9800 was for BBM and apps. With the Q10, I'm carrying the PlayBook less and less. I imagine when I get my Z30, the PlayBook will become my home media device and no longer be carried.

If I'm satisfied with how the Z30 handles tablet duties on the go, I'll keep my PlayBook until it dies. If I still need the larger screen, I'm hoping BlackBerry will have recovered enough to work on an updated tablet...or I might get a used Samsung tablet to tide me over. Currently the PlayBook browsing speeds are no longer adequate compared to the Q10.
    10-31-13 05:52 PM
    PlayBook is used daily, and is a loyal companion on work trips to watch movies/TV shows, to play games, and to display presentations. However, my Z10 is slowly taking over... Bottom line, as long as the PlayBook works I'll continue to use it. Don't see much need for another tablet and really doubt that I'd buy another if/when it dies.
    10-31-13 11:11 PM
    Since I can't be assed to sideload anything, I'll stick with PB, since it's the only tablet with native Flash support. I really should take the time to learn sideloading someday, so I can use it for emulating GBA games without actual GBA screen size confinements.

I only have 3 uses for tablets:
    *Play games before bed when I don't feel like reading.
    *Internet is down for PC.
    *Browse internet on vacation.

I have a long standing hatred of Apple, so I don't buy their products. It could change someday; when I was little I didn't like Nintendo & now I love them.

Lastly, there's the frugal family tradition of "if it ain't broke, don't replace it." I still have a CRT television & an 8 year old flip phone.
    Last edited by likalaruku; 11-01-13 at 02:11 AM.
    castoridae likes this.
    11-01-13 01:52 AM
    I do not buy things simply because they are the latest craze or fashion , I buy things because I need them , my playbook works and does everything I want it to , when in the UK mostly it is plugged into the TV streaming films etc.

Now on my travels I load it up with media and use it for personal entertainment mainly films and when watched I load it up again with fresh.
    My Playbook is good and useful but a bit un-needed however convenient bridged into my Z10.

In my opinion BB need to concentrate on phones and get off their backside, the market is filled with cheap tablets many of which take sim cards , try to do too much and failure is certain ,
    BB need to shift all these Z10's first and if they do it at break even price or a loss it it better than sitting in warehouses.

Get the phones out and generate some interest as people get to see them and how good they are.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    11-01-13 02:08 AM
    Still use mine daily, still works fine for the most part, but it is starting to misbehave a bit. I will stick with the PlayBook for as long as it is tolerable, then look at a non-Apple 7 in tablet when it becomes intolerable.

I do think that, even if BB came out with a new model - a very doubtful prospect to be sure - it would not be on my short list.
    Always worth doing a security wipe from time to time. It's a minor pain in terms of time to reinstall everything, but as long as the hardware is ok, then it offers a serious refresh.
    11-01-13 06:53 AM
    Not buying another tablet until BlackBerry offers something else. If they don't bring out a Playbook 2/ Z50 or something like that then this Playbook I have will be my last tablet.
    11-01-13 07:16 AM
    My BlackBerry PlayBook(s) are primarily used for professional and academic purposes. With the addition of the BlackBerry Leather Case with Bluetooth Mini-Keyboard for one of the tablets and the Hip Street Leather Executive Case for the other tablet both look professional yet discrete. I much prefer carrying the tablet rather than the notebook computer which now serves as a silent, energy-efficient desktop replacement. I hope BlackBerry, under new ownership and management, designs another tablet (thinner, microSD card support, full integration with BlackBerry smartphones via BlackBerry Bridge) and an enhanced BlackBerry Protect (full/selective backup/restore, remote lock & wipe, device location service). However, my current BlackBerry PlayBooks remain workhorses unmatched in many respects by competitor's tablets.
    My setup is similar. Get yourself a wireless mouse for it and you'll be in 7th heaven, I know I am
    11-01-13 11:18 AM
    If I can find a BlackFriday type deal on a Surface Pro.....
    11-01-13 11:42 AM
    I am thinking along those lines. Rather than investing in more apps for more disparate OS's - move to a Win Tablet and run my old and familiar apps, ahem, PROGRAMS, on it.
    About to pull the trigger on a Dell Venue 8 pro that runs win 8.1. Looks very fast and fluid. It will run Miracast. Only disappointment is the digitizer pen so that's what's holding me back.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    11-01-13 11:52 AM
    If I ever sell my Playbook..I will sell my phone as well and get a phablet..(the Samsung Galaxy Mega to be exact)
    11-01-13 01:08 PM
    Always worth doing a security wipe from time to time. It's a minor pain in terms of time to reinstall everything, but as long as the hardware is ok, then it offers a serious refresh.
    Yup, agree, as with the PC sitting on your desk/floor, every once in a while you have to wipe/reformat/reload the os. And it makes even an old pc seem snappier and such. About every 1.5 years, I wipe and reload my PC and it's like an old friend has just awakened....

c
    11-01-13 01:40 PM
    Thats it!!!

I also DO NOT know one of these crapply plastic tablets with minor OS with a legendary NOTIFICATION, we know from our BlackBerry phones!

Oh yes. That simple thang! Your PlayBook is lying on the table and Ping! Red Dot Notification like my Q10. Which tablet can offer that?

I cross my fingers for 2014! A PlayBook 2 ! Mobile devices are the future! And a PlayBook 2 would be awesome for my business travels!
    11-01-13 02:59 PM
    My setup is similar. Get yourself a wireless mouse for it and you'll be in 7th heaven, I know I am
    Ha! Ha! I have a Logitech Bluetooth V470 Mouse. I bought it around the same time as the BlackBerry Leather Case with Bluetooth Mini-Keyboard even though the keyboard has an integrated trackpad. My only complaint about the Logitech V470 is the batteries make the mouse a bit too heavy; why can't these mice run on watch batteries or something of similar form-factor (size and weight)? Plus with the HDMI cable the tablet can be connected to my large flat panel monitor or even my large screen television if so inclined. BlackBerry (Research In Motion) never understood the full potential of this little technology marvel and abandoned it within six months of the April 19, 2011 launch.
    11-01-13 08:02 PM
    Thats it!!!

I also DO NOT know one of these crapply plastic tablets with minor OS with a legendary NOTIFICATION, we know from our BlackBerry phones!

Oh yes. That simple thang! Your PlayBook is lying on the table and Ping! Red Dot Notification like my Q10. Which tablet can offer that?

I cross my fingers for 2014! A PlayBook 2 ! Mobile devices are the future! And a PlayBook 2 would be awesome for my business travels!
    Agreed. A BlackBerry tablet (WiFi, Bluetooth) running BlackBerry OS 10 (without the BlackBerry Hub), microHDMI port, microSD slot, docking station for full desktop experience, magnetic rapid charger like the current tablet, and fully integrated with the BlackBerry 10 smartphones via BlackBerry Bridge with the thinness of the new Apple iPad Air offering two models: seven-inch screen (1920x1080) for those of us whom enjoy the bookish-look for the current BlackBerry BlackBerry and ten-inch (1920x1080) for those whom need a sheet of paper size tablet. Oh, I am dreaming...
    11-01-13 08:12 PM
    PB is with me all the times bridged to my BB 9780 on T-Mobile USA
    use it for everyday as it fits into my side pocket, email, browser, music, picture
    hooked it up to 15 year old computer loud speakers, listening to Pandora

Bought a Lenovo think-pad tablet2 , 64 gb, MCard slot to 64 gb, USB, HDMI, SIM card slot and run WIN 8.1
    in December if will upgrade to a Nokia 925
    so I will be in the all MS Windows environment

my wife has her I-Pad 16gb mini, Ipod 64gb for music and will get a I-phone 5C for xmas
    so she will be in the Apple environment

and we use T-Mobile unlimited plan
    so the PB will became a expensive music and film player
    11-01-13 08:21 PM
    If I ever sell my Playbook..I will sell my phone as well and get a phablet..(the Samsung Galaxy Mega to be exact)
    I just saw that in person today. Wow, that thing is huge -- almost as big as the PlayBook
    11-02-13 08:19 PM
    To follow up -- Costco.com has the Dell Venue 8 pro (runs full Win 8.1) for $329 (64GB version) or $279.99 (32 GB version). Still debating...

About to pull the trigger on a Dell Venue 8 pro that runs win 8.1. Looks very fast and fluid. It will run Miracast. Only disappointment is the digitizer pen so that's what's holding me back.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 08:24 PM
    My PlayBook stills work great so I see no need for a change in 2014.

Oddly enough I saw a PlayBook on TV just this past week. I only caught the tail end and it was one of those info commercials - you know the type = 'this TV station supports...'. I think it was TVO and it had a PlayBook at the end with the logos of the TVO shows on it. I thought it was very weird. Not that BlackBerry would support TVO (which is TV Ontario) but that they would show a pb.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 09:56 PM
    Sticking with BBRY, but my playbooks a bit old. Im lookin at the nexus 7, then we'll see what the future holds. BBRY has some rebuilding to do so, if they push out a new tablet again Ill be ready to grab that up too.

For what its worth when it comes to my phone, my z10 isnt going anywhere.
    11-02-13 11:16 PM
100 1234