Do you guys get this? Before I would charge my PB every 2 days on regular use, after the new 1.0.7.2670 update, the has lessened considerably. Now I have to charge it everyday, and the battery drains about 4-5% every 2-3 hours or so on idle/standby with the screen off. Are you guys experiencing this?
    M.Rizk, aghs and jmarkey77 like this.
    08-02-11 04:43 PM
    yes i am, its been terrible as of the last update
    08-02-11 04:50 PM
    Any chance you've been running the GPS stuff prior to noticing this? I've seen power consumption when in standby go from the usual 50mW up to about 250mW after I've run some GPS stuff. I think there's a service being left running indefinitely, rather than it shutting down after a timeout as it used to.

There may be other, similar, conditions related to other components as well, but this is 100% reproducible for me.
    08-02-11 04:56 PM
    I'm noticing a huge difference since the last update on the battery life.
    08-02-11 05:09 PM
    Any chance you've been running the GPS stuff prior to noticing this? I've seen power consumption when in standby go from the usual 50mW up to about 250mW after I've run some GPS stuff. I think there's a service being left running indefinitely, rather than it shutting down after a timeout as it used to.

There may be other, similar, conditions related to other components as well, but this is 100% reproducible for me.
    What GPS stuff? I always close all programs when I turn off the screen/stand by. The only thing I do have on and rarely is the alarm, but that is on important days.
    08-02-11 05:11 PM
    I noticed a big difference.
    08-02-11 05:16 PM
    Along with this, it appears the whole system is slowed down, especially the broswer and wifi is slower as well after coming off standby.
    M.Rizk likes this.
    08-02-11 05:20 PM
    I thought I was imagining things, but my battery has gotten worse after updating to 1.0.7.2670. I used to use Slacker, Blaq, and Facebook for a while and would still have almost a full battery. It was almost too good to be true. And ever since I updated my software, when I use those same 3 applications for the same amount of time, the battery will be down to like 60%. It has gone from 60% to 55% in about 5 or 6 minutes. Now it's at 54%. it's really annoying and I'd love to downgrade my software since I'd rather have good battery life instead of Demo Mode and Airplane mode!
    08-02-11 06:55 PM
    Do you guys get this? Before I would charge my PB every 2 days on regular use, after the new 1.0.7.2670 update, the has lessened considerably. Now I have to charge it everyday, and the battery drains about 4-5% every 2-3 hours or so on idle/standby with the screen off. Are you guys experiencing this?
    Yeap... samething happened to me after the last update. In another post someone suggested to security wipe and reinstall the software. At first I did not want to do it, because since April 20th I never had to, but it was really geting in my nerves so I did... as a result, my battery consumption is back to normal, and had have no troubles since... My advice... Back up, and security wipe... Not nice... but does the job...
    08-02-11 10:53 PM
    Yeap... samething happened to me after the last update. In another post someone suggested to security wipe and reinstall the software. At first I did not want to do it, because since April 20th I never had to, but it was really geting in my nerves so I did... as a result, my battery consumption is back to normal, and had have no troubles since... My advice... Back up, and security wipe... Not nice... but does the job...
    What is security wipe? If it is a fresh wipe of device, I already did that.

Edit: Nvm, I read it, I did that. That's how my device came to be what it is now.

Edit 2: I'll do it again and follow up.
    Last edited by LanEvo; 08-02-11 at 11:04 PM.
    08-02-11 10:56 PM
    My PlayBook became so laggy, the browser can't handle much tabs anymore or it closes auto
    08-02-11 10:57 PM
    My PlayBook became so laggy, the browser can't handle much tabs anymore or it closes auto
    Exactly, same here.
    08-02-11 11:04 PM
    Yes another bug in this build. Not liking these bugs.
    08-03-11 12:06 AM
    Not very happy with this build over all

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-11 12:38 AM
    same here folks.i turn everything off wif,bluetooth,bridge,screen brightness to the lowest and still draining fast.hmm im might just install something that makes this i think.
    08-03-11 12:54 AM
    What GPS stuff? I always close all programs when I turn off the screen/stand by. The only thing I do have on and rarely is the alarm, but that is on important days.
    Any GPS stuff. Web-based or app. I also close all programs (except Battery Guru) when I am doing this measurement, and since 1.0.7 the power consumption has jumped as I described above, if I've earlier used an app that uses the GPS. At some point, some service gets left running invisibly in the background, using five times the standby power as before 1.0.7, and I'm theorizing it's related to GPS. Just looking for someone else who can confirm this or rebut my theory.
    08-03-11 08:40 AM
    Any GPS stuff. Web-based or app. I also close all programs (except Battery Guru) when I am doing this measurement, and since 1.0.7 the power consumption has jumped as I described above, if I've earlier used an app that uses the GPS. At some point, some service gets left running invisibly in the background, using five times the standby power as before 1.0.7, and I'm theorizing it's related to GPS. Just looking for someone else who can confirm this or rebut my theory.
    how do you turn off your gps when theres no option on the menu?
    08-03-11 08:46 AM
    First time I've had a chance to get on the forums since the last update (vacation is good), but yes, I noticed a definite decline in battery performance since .2670. Even stand-by time has dropped off. I doubt it's GPS related, since I don't use any aps that call on it.

This is one of those reasons why, while I love updates and sometimes tend to be an update-buttton masher, I'm happier with stability.
    08-03-11 10:19 AM
    I def have shorter battery life now
    08-03-11 11:28 AM
    how do you turn off your gps when theres no option on the menu?
    You don't "turn it off". Apps request the use of the GPS when they want, and when they exit the GPS service would, in past releases, terminate on its own, possibly after a timeout. I think under some conditions in 1.0.7 it will continue running indefinitely.

It's just a theory so far, but based on actual measurements and observations (unlike most "I'm getting shorter battery life" statements I've seen so far).
    08-03-11 12:17 PM
    I would really love if we have an option to turn gps on and off.so we would if know it is really the gps sucking our batteries life out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-11 12:24 PM
    I noticed a similar degradation of battery life with the latest build, but it seems as if its been addressed by a Security Wipe/Reinstall. I also had a problem with the charger with this build -- the lightning bolt would come on when I had the Playbook properly seated in the charger, but then it would go off and the battery would begin to discharge even as it sat in the high capacity charger! I have 2 such chargers and saw the same conditions on both, so it seems either Playbook or OS related, and not some problem with the chargers. I had to jiggle it to get it to actually function, and then monitor it to confirm it was still charging.
    08-03-11 12:46 PM
    I'm having the same problem and I went through the settings and I noticed my bluetooth was on and it was off before the update. maybe thats whats sucking the extra battery life.
    08-05-11 07:02 PM
    I'm _not_ seeing this. Light usage over a day (browsing, connecting to PB from my notebook to its Samba server, sharepoint downloads) equates to 30-40% battery used. A point that may need to be made. My GPS never worked before the update and afterward only worked for a couple of days and is back to broken again. So it never "kicked" in for me. Maybe since my GPS is inactive, it is saving battery? Battery Guru graphs over 10 hours always looks sane with almost level usage while sleeping.
    08-05-11 09:50 PM
    me too. lost wifi connect and it drops wifi alot. nvr did b4.

how do i downgrade to 1.06?
    08-06-11 12:56 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD