Ive noticed on several occasions that my playbook turns off automatically around 10-15%. Most of the time ill be using the browser using my wifi connection.

anyone experiencing this? this normal because im on wifi and using the browser?
    05-31-11 08:08 PM
    i think i read somewhere that its very damaging to batteries to go all the way to 0. ive never drained my playbook, so i cant tell u how low my gets though.
    05-31-11 08:20 PM
    That's not normal. It should shut off when it runs completely out of battery. It's not like the phones signal. I've ran my PB dead about 4 times and it has never unexpectedly shut off.
    05-31-11 08:22 PM
    @ 0% I can still play games and browse web for about an hour before it turn off
    06-01-11 01:47 PM
    I try to run mine out as much as possible, I have never had it shut off with 10% life.
    06-01-11 01:51 PM
    mine shuts off at 10 as well. Seems silly to me.
    06-01-11 01:55 PM
    Strange, at 9% I get a blaring bell and a drop down notification that the battery is getting low. It didn't actually shut down until it read 0%.
    06-01-11 02:08 PM
    mine also shuts down at 10% without any notifications.
    (latest os)
    06-01-11 02:29 PM
    at either 9 or 10 percent. I usually (but not always) get the red reminder of low battery, but the power doesn't stay on much longer after I get the popup.

Havent figured out how to get it below the 9 percent range like others are getting. I tried recalibrating by draining and charging, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

At least I get fairly good battery life with mine, and it doesn't drain while on standby.

Anyone figure a way to have the shutdown start when it's a bit lower, or is htis a battery calibration issue?
    06-01-11 03:20 PM
    im on 0% right now... been like that for the past 20 min and it still working.. the battery meter needs to be re calibrated... im a let it die then ill charge it with the rapid charger i bought yesterday...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-11 06:59 PM
    It's likely that the percent indicator is based on an estimate, which may be updated from time to time, of the full capacity of the battery and how much is thought to be left.

The point at which the device shuts off, however, is likely tied to the voltage reading. I expect the point at which it stops charging is also tied to the voltage reading.

The voltage and that capacity estimate are not exactly the same thing and, even worse, there are probably defects in this still-early software. The result is, I believe that some devices will report they're at 10% capacity, but the voltage is actually at the "critically low" threshold and the thing has to shut off. On some other devices, like mine, the opposite problem occurs... mine has sometimes stopped charging shortly after it reached 90%.

Note that it is *not* "dangerous to discharge to 0%"... because that percentage thing is just an estimate anyway. It is also not even dangerous to discharge the battery all the way to the lower voltage limit... that's why the limit exists, and the device will protect the battery by shutting off when it reaches that point. (Most Lithium batteries even have built-in protection to do the same, since discharging below that point *will* destroy them... but you don't need to worry about that because you can't make it happen without a real effort.) Likewise it's bad for the battery to be charged above the upper voltage level, which is why that limit exists and, again, you shouldn't worry about it as the device and battery protect themselves.

You shouldn't even worry about the 10% thing... unless you think you're actually not getting nearly, say, 7-8h of use from the thing. If that's happening, or if you're just obsessive about this, do a few complete charge/discharge cycles to give the software a chance to update its estimate. Charge fully, until the lightning bolt is gone from the battery icon in the popup. Then use the device all day, without additional charging, until it shuts itself off. Then recharge fully, and repeat the process several more times over the next few days.

If the current software is even marginally functional in this respect, there's a chance this will make your percentage display more closely represent the actual capacity remaining. No guarantees, and it's nearly certain the current software is not fully functional in this respect, so it may actually do nothing useful for you.
    LOY80Y and RedasKay like this.
    06-02-11 07:24 PM
    yea i usually let it die every now and then. mine actually tells me "automatically shutting down". mines the latest OS also.

but ive noticed i have wifi and bluetooth on.

not really worried just found it odd. it does last more that 8 hours at times so im happy. . im guessing might me just the software not reading the battery % right. but you have to consider the pb is relatively new so theres going to be some bugs around. so i thought id start this thread to see if anyone else is experiencing that. if it was only me i would of sent it back.

yea i have been doing a complete charge and discharge every now and then. i usually do it with my phones as well to keep the battery healthy in a way so it lasts longer.

but thanks for all that info.

i wish there was an update now. been awhile actually. so many things that need to be improved but they havent bugged me yet.
    06-02-11 08:05 PM
    not the best way to calibrate but as soon as mine dies, i plug it in and let it boot up, then pull out the power cord and let the battery die a little more, got down to 6% now from original 10% shutdown point.
    06-02-11 11:21 PM
    try security wipe for battery problem, then update using dm
    06-02-11 11:41 PM
    not the best way to calibrate but as soon as mine dies, i plug it in and let it boot up, then pull out the power cord and let the battery die a little more, got down to 6% now from original 10% shutdown point.
    You might want to re-read my post just above yours. If I'm right, you could well be risking serious damage to your battery by doing this, as you may be discharging it past the lower safe voltage. Nobody has yet reported whether the PlayBook batteries have their own, secondary protection mechanism, and if they do not there may be nothing to prevent you destroying them this way. I don't know if I'm right or not... it's just a caution for you.
    06-03-11 11:20 PM
    You might want to re-read my post just above yours. If I'm right, you could well be risking serious damage to your battery by doing this, as you may be discharging it past the lower safe voltage. Nobody has yet reported whether the PlayBook batteries have their own, secondary protection mechanism, and if they do not there may be nothing to prevent you destroying them this way. I don't know if I'm right or not... it's just a caution for you.
    Thanks I am am aware of that, I just did some testing using my method and it seems that it is an OS battery meter issue. As soon as I did that a couple of times, my playbook shuts down at about 5-6 % and boots up with 8-9%. I guess this more or less means that its more or less the software issue.
    06-03-11 11:32 PM
    well since the update has come out i reckon its giving a better reading as i did a full discharge and went real low. lasting abit longer too. it was lower than what i originally said in this post. loving the charging without the pb being on and tapping the battery icon to go standby. lot easier than pressing the pwr button.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-11 06:17 AM
    hi guys
    so i was browsing on the internet on the gmail homepage snd my pb just turned itself off for 2 times without me doing anything. the odd thing is that i still had 25% battery left so that shouldn't be the problem and it also didn't show up any notification like battery would be running low so i don't get why it would just turn itself off. i also just had wifi on but bluetooth off and only the web browser open so i don't really get it. maybe you could help me and let me know why he did that so i can make sure that it doesn't happen again..??
    thanks!
    06-19-11 09:34 AM
    the odd thing is that i still had 25% battery left so that shouldn't be the problem and it also didn't show up any notification like battery would be running low so i don't get why it would just turn itself off.
    The 25% meter reading might be mis-calibrated therefore try draining the battery t the point the tablet shutdown by itself and then recharge the battery fully to 100% before using the tablet. Repeat this process a few times as necessary to retrain the battery. There is a knowledge base article about this specific issue and a recommended resolution.
    06-19-11 04:07 PM
    ok great thanks well i actually did i that at least i guess since it turned itself off. so i let it till 100% and i'll do that a few times more during the next days.. thanks for your help!
    06-19-11 05:17 PM
    @stefi.dragoi, remember not just to wait until it hits 100%, but wait until it actually stops showing the "lightning bolt" symbol indicating that it's still charging. Even when it starts showing 100% it may continue charging for a while, and if the displayed estimate isn't calibrated properly, it could even stay there for an hour or more before it really stops charging.
    06-19-11 06:43 PM
    @peter thank you for pointing that out, i didn't think at all of it and i unplugged today when it showed 100 so that would make sense why after "only" 5-6 hrs it "lost" 20% without me doing that much except for searching something on the internet. i actually expected battery life to be a little better but oh well... so i'll wait until it turns itself off again and then i'll charge it when i sleep so a whole night should be enough. thanks so much for reminding me. i'll do that for a few times from now on so this doesn't happen anymore. thanks!
    06-19-11 07:08 PM
    Peter is exactly correct. I also have had this issue. My playbook used to shut off at approx 20% which I found pretty frustrating. I would often charge whenever I felt necessary and often with a standard Bb charger. I quickly realized I was not cycling the battery properly (drain battery till device shuts down, leave off during charge, charge until green light. Assuming the green light is the indication that the battery is no longer receiving any charge). I've been repeating this process with the standard charger that came with the Playbook for a few days and already have seen improvements. It now dies without warning at 11-12%, I assume the lack of warning is because the notification is triggered at 10%...Anyways, it doesn't really bother me anymore but I will continue the process for now to see if I can get below 10%.
    01-09-12 01:06 AM
    I have two Playbooks, 16 GB and 64 GB, and both warn at 9%. I usually dismiss the warning and continue using the Playbooks until they either shutoff or go to 0%. After that, I shut them down and recharge. I've noticed that if I leave the Playbooks on Standby, the battery indicator never quite makes it to 100%, only 99%. I mostly use the Rapid Charger these days, two hours to charge 0% to 100%.
    01-09-12 01:28 AM
    In a perfect world, you should get the warning at 9%, and it should shut itself off at exactly 0%.

If it shuts off before or after 0%, it's not yet calibrated right---so you should then ensure that it reaches a truly full charge by charging it overnight.

Note that waiting til it shuts itself off should NOT be a regular practice. Do it only the first few cycles. Once properly calibrated, you will likely get longer battery life if you recharge at 9%---preferably much higher (I rarely go below 50%). Only very periodically take it down to 0%, just to verify that the calibration is correct.

I follow this regimen myself, and have seen my Battery Health steadily increase from 90% to 96% over thirty cycles.
    01-09-12 07:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD