I love annoying orange
    You too? How old are you.
    actually I find it entertaining how annoying it is lol

There is so much content and distraction vying for attention these days most kids don't have the patience or attention span to watch a feature length film.
    01-09-12 08:12 PM
    HAHAAHAH best post I read today. Love it. I can just picture u sitting there with that big smirk on your face from ear to ear lmfao
    That is until the divorce decree gives him 1/2 of an ipad and her 1/2 of pb!!!
    01-09-12 09:15 PM
    I'm sure there are plenty of iPad haters here but I'm not so sure i can agree with the masses. I own two of both the iPad and the Playbook. I've had the iPads since they came out and have been using them daily. Since the playbook dropped in price I purchased one for my wife. Since they never seemed to charge me for the first PB we picked up another, so two for $199 not bad. Im not too big on Apple limiting their devices as i resort to jailbreaking for the extra features.
    Im giving the playbook an equal chance as an iPad replacement but here are a few issues that need to be fixed before I can go without my iPad.
    1. Looking through the app world it strikes me as a tablet without a soul. Where are the apps? This is the biggie for me. No music, banking, movie making, image processing, etc.
    2. Lack of native apps - From what i understood Blackberries were big in the business world. How can I conduct business without a calendar, contacts, and email. I can't.
    3. WiFi only - I know everyone is gonna say "Thats what bridge is for" but in reality everything that bridge provides should have been included. Who wants to purchase a phone to use their internet while on a business trip. Not everyone owns a blackberry phone. As a matter of fact I dont know anyone that still has a blackberry phone.
    4. Lack of updates and features - Releasing a product that has a great potential is the first step in providing a successful product. OS 2.0 has big shoes to fill.

Besides the lack of apps and missing business features, I do like the high resolution screen, smaller size, and the gestures. I could live without flash though as i am use to not having it. One thing i cant live without is auto correction as it took me forever to type this out.
    01-09-12 10:18 PM
    You won't have to wait long my friend....
    01-09-12 10:38 PM
    1. Looking through the app world it strikes me as a tablet without a soul. Where are the apps? This is the biggie for me. No music, banking, movie making, image processing, etc.
    Really? Slacker radio for music streaming, 7-digital for buying. Banking I just go to my bank's website and use it like on a PC. No one makes movies on a tablet if they have a choice, but you are correct there. There are multiple image processing apps like instagram for the PB.

If you look at the top 20 apps on Android and iOS they are also on the Playbook and Blackberry phones or their equivalents, outside of Skype and Netflix, which I don't use on a tablet as my PS3 does Netflix (which I don't subscribe to) and my PC does Skype way better. And come February the Android app floodgates will open and the PB should be rated as the best tablet bargain out there (assuming they don't get stupid and put the price back up to $499!).
    omniusovermind and ralfyguy like this.
    01-09-12 10:51 PM
    I'm sure there are plenty of iPad haters here but I'm not so sure i can agree with the masses. I own two of both the iPad and the Playbook. I've had the iPads since they came out and have been using them daily. Since the playbook dropped in price I purchased one for my wife. Since they never seemed to charge me for the first PB we picked up another, so two for $199 not bad. Im not too big on Apple limiting their devices as i resort to jailbreaking for the extra features.
    Im giving the playbook an equal chance as an iPad replacement but here are a few issues that need to be fixed before I can go without my iPad.
    2. Lack of native apps - From what i understood Blackberries were big in the business world. How can I conduct business without a calendar, contacts, and email. I can't.
    3. WiFi only - I know everyone is gonna say "Thats what bridge is for" but in reality everything that bridge provides should have been included. Who wants to purchase a phone to use their internet while on a business trip. Not everyone owns a blackberry phone. As a matter of fact I dont know anyone that still has a blackberry phone.
    4. Lack of updates and features - Releasing a product that has a great potential is the first step in providing a successful product. OS 2.0 has big shoes to fill.

Besides the lack of apps and missing business features, I do like the high resolution screen, smaller size, and the gestures. I could live without flash though as i am use to not having it. One thing i cant live without is auto correction as it took me forever to type this out.
    Besides the obvious fact that most of these issues will be fixed verry soon...
    unless you only ever use an ipad/pod for browsing how are you use to no flash? you mean just on a tablet? flash consumes alot of the web imo and i would feel my interwebs was the one with no soul if It had no flash lol hence why my ipod touch is nothin more than a music player with some sweet fart apps.
    01-10-12 01:48 AM
    Wonder how many people on this thread were old timers who back in the day said I don't Flash on my Berry or who watches YouTube on a small screen?

I guess it all goes out the window when the screen is bigger? A lot of hypocrites in here IMO.

Then again I am sure those people that can't view flash content are just that.....content? Hysterical!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
    perhaps... but I still paid the same for my tablet that you did for an e-reader
    01-10-12 06:06 AM
    unless you only ever use an ipad/pod for browsing how are you use to no flash? you mean just on a tablet? flash consumes alot of the web imo and i would feel my interwebs was the one with no soul if It had no flash lol hence why my ipod touch is nothin more than a music player with some sweet fart apps.
    Flash is huge. Still not sure why some are adamant that they do not require Flash. To get the proper browsing experience, Flash is a must.

And like others have said, I find it to be a hard pill to swallow (which I did) to spend upwards of $800 for a tablet that does not have Flash.
    ralfyguy likes this.
    01-10-12 06:07 AM

1. browser handles all these tasks on my PC and I feel no more need for an app there than I do on my PB browser. Except for the movie and photo editing. But a PC does these jobs better than any app or tablet currently available so I don't see this a a point of contention.

2. true point, to be fixed soon so they claim.

3. laptops and netbooks aren't 4G either, I've never understood this as an argument topic. you're also misinformed about needing a BB phone for tethering. Since you don't own a BB I assume you already know about mobile hotspots so I'm confused why you implied the need for a BB phone.
    ralfyguy and kbz1960 like this.
    01-10-12 06:20 AM
    I have both and I want to keep both. Sometimes, a bigger screen is nice.
    But the sloppy UI of the other tablet really kills me. That home button! GGGGRRRRRR!
    01-10-12 08:52 AM
    Wonder how many people on this thread were old timers who back in the day said I don't Flash on my Berry or who watches YouTube on a small screen?

I guess it all goes out the window when the screen is bigger? A lot of hypocrites in here IMO.

Then again I am sure those people that can't view flash content are just that.....content? Hysterical!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
    Only if it's the same people who said what you claim they said. Otherwise, you are grossly mistaken and owe these fine people an apology. Or are you just trolling?
    01-10-12 09:09 AM
    I've had my 16GB PB for a touch less than a week now. I also have an iPod Touch (since tablets were too gimmicky for me to plop down 5+ bills on).

1) I love the interface (I'm currently using the 2.0 beta, which will be more polished upon an actual release). The intuitive swipe controls are awesome. I missed the Home button for like 1.2 minutes once I understood how to properly swipe.
    2) I was initially bummed out about the lack of apps compared to iOS, but since the browser is so capable and supports flash, apps are not entirely necessary in most cases (like for banking). Sure apps are nice, but if the browser is fully functional, the app just isn't necessary.
    3) The screen is glorious for watching videos on. I love how insanely crisp and clear YouTube HD videos are.

The only minor thing that bugs me now is the tiny bulge on the back (but there are already enough threads about that).

The PB, in my opinion, is a beautiful tablet, especially for the $199+tx that I paid for it.

Hopefully 2.0 just makes the experience better.
    01-10-12 09:30 AM
    I remember when I first got interested about the PlayBook complaints about the lack of home button from some journalists. Unbelievable that these people are so used to one product that they cannot see immediately the genius of the PlayBook UI.
    01-10-12 09:49 AM
    Those journalists just don't like anything that isn't an i-something.
    diego.roscetti likes this.
    01-10-12 10:19 AM

Lack of Apps? Maybe not so much...every day more and more apps have been added to App World. Though these include those for the phones the # for PB has been growing steadily.

BlackBerry App World passes 2 billion downloads | CrackBerry.com
    01-10-12 10:49 AM
    I find flash a little dated. It's handy, sure, but all the sites that I go to that use to use flash have mostly converted to HTML5, or have made their site "non-flash" friendly to keep up with demands of the iOS crowd.

Take for example Kindle's HTML5 site. It renders so well across so many devices, including my PB. If they did that with flash, forget about it. I'd only want to access it on my desktop.

What irks me is that, there's all this "hoorah" for mobile flash support, but what about HTML5? I find the latter much more exciting than mobile flash, which Adobe themselves have given up support for.

Flash is nice, but I don't need it.
    01-10-12 10:50 AM
    To be fair, what the iOS devices lack in flash, is more than made up for in APPS and a new hoard of HTML5 websites that are either presently here or on the horizon. I love flash, and flash sites, but you have to admit that when Adobe calls it quits on mobile flash, there's not much left to keep it a float.

If you want to know how it feels to live without flash, you should take plunge and live it for a while. Trying it out is useless, living with it will give you a better perspective of how people can say they don't need flash, or they're "use to no flash."

And before you flame me back, I'm not an a fanboy, currently I'm taking the blackberry plunge and seeing how it goes.

BB9790
    Playbook
    xD

So far, I miss the functionality of apps, and creativity of the iOS apps, because it doesn't require me to navigate websites that were made for full sized browser, with mouse & keyboard navigation.

I miss,
    -Zite
    -Distro (engadget magazine for iOS)
    -Flipboard
    -Pulse
    -Quick Sale
    -Netflix
    etc...

Apps will come with time, it took a while for really great apps to be developed for the iOS. So all I can do is wait patiently xD
    01-10-12 12:28 PM
    Flash is great because my 7 year old son can do this school math studies at Mathletics.com - Achieve More on his PB. On an IPad no way.
    01-10-12 12:37 PM
    I recently picked up my wife an iPad 2. She has never liked my beloved PlayBook and has been bugging me for one. I finally cracked the other day and got her one.

She opened her shiny new iPad up. Played around with it for a bit then decided to go to YouTube to check out some videos. Now, I bought her a wi-fi only iPad and not the 3G version.

She decided to click on a video to watch it and there was lag. She thought there was something wrong with it and wanted me to bring it back. I told her there is nothing wrong with it, but the video was loading. This particular 5 minute music video took around 3 minutes to load. I immediately thought my Wi-Fi was running slow at the time. She wasn't very happy to wait.

I then decided to do a little test for her. I pulled out my PlayBook, went to YouTube, and loaded the exact same video. It loaded and played instantaneously, without any lag or waiting time whatsoever. She thought our Wi-Fi had picked up speed again, so we decided to run a little test. The same video was loaded on her iPad and my PlayBook. Low and behold, the same thing happened.

I had a huge grin on my face and she didn't know how to respond. I wont even get into her loading web pages on her iPad and wondering why the Flash was not working but working on my PlayBook!!!

Thanks for reading everyone.
    kudos to your wife tho, she got you to waste your money. Hope she thanked you properly.
    01-10-12 01:13 PM
    For some of us (especially with kids), netflix is essential. As an active subscriber, I was looking forward to seeing movies on the pb's great screen. As it stands, our iPad2, samsung galaxy s II phone, Nintendo 3ds, Nook tablet, and TVs stream netflix, leaving the pb as the odd man out.
    I agree that Netflix is essential (to my needs). However, I have it on my laptop for streaming onto my TV and I have it on my Amaze for streaming at the gym. Those are really the only times I use Netflix, and both of my bases are covered there.

That being said, the one app I wish was available for the Playbook was KINDLE!! Yes, I've read entire books using my Android devices without much difficulty, but the screen real estate of the Playbook would be great. I've heard from a trusted source that I'll still be able to read books via the Amazon cloud, so at least there's that.
    8230 likes this.
    01-10-12 02:09 PM
    Interface is fantastic; count me as another who is hesitant to keep PB because of a lack of apps... so much so that I actually prefer a rooted Nook Color for overall functionality.

And no, browsers do not do everything.
    01-10-12 03:01 PM
    kudos to your wife tho, she got you to waste your money. Hope she thanked you properly.
    Hahaha. That is funny. And she does...a lot!!! Waste my money, not thank me properly!!! I kid, I kid!!!
    01-10-12 04:05 PM
    Flash-enabled websites is definitely a feature worth its weight in gold. But it is not the alpha and omega. There are so many apps that would make my Playbook so much more productive, and which are lacking so far, in spite of my flash-enabled browser. In fact, all of the apps I value the most are missing. No Kindle. No Netflix. No HBOGO. No Skype. None of my banking apps. No U-Verse. And to top it all off, no apps that allow me to remote into my work PC, even though this is a business-oriented tablet.

The choice between a flash-enabled browser and a tablet with an infinite universe of apps is an easy one for most people. If you have apps for every single site you visit, the need for a flash-enabled browser dwindles. They even have apps for porn sites; not that anyone here would ever indulge in that. I will admit that if I wasn't a Blackberry enthusiast, I would definitely be on the iPad bandwagon, even though I hate the control exerted by Apple over its products.

With apps, the slower speed of the bridge connection as compared to WIFI would not matter as much, since they are usually a cleaner, meaner and more efficient way of accessing content. Gotta have the apps. Hopefully they are on their way to fixing this problem with OS 2.0.
    Don't tell me you need an app for each website? Damn icons all over the place just to surf.
    omniusovermind likes this.
    01-10-12 05:15 PM
    Don't tell me you need an app for each website? Damn icons all over the place just to surf.
    That is the funniest thing I have read. Can you imagine having an app for every single website you browse!!!!
    01-10-12 06:19 PM
    That is the funniest thing I have read. Can you imagine having an app for every single website you browse!!!!
    LOL... that does sound a bit convoluted, but downloading and deleting apps is a quick process.

Stuff like Dropbox and Evernote just work better with a dedicated, integrated app, IMHO.
    01-10-12 06:23 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD